Switching from bulking to cutting during Superdrol cycle?

The Doberman

Awards
Today is day 11 on SD. I posted a log about my progress(http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33725)

I started out at 183 and my weight has stablized around 190.

Here is the deal. I have been making extreme strength gains...but I think I am moving too fast. I am starting to get a bit of joint/tendon soreness in shoulders and knees especially. I am not a very experienced lifter, and I think if I continue at the rate I am going I might get injured.

So I was thinking of switching the focus from bulking to cutting. Possibly doing maint. cals and stopping training except for biceps which are lagging. this would let me

1. Heal my muscles/joints.
2. Lose some fat.
3. Catch up my biceps.

What do you guys think?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me share some experience with you.

I was a tester of SD. My goal was strength and mass. I wanted to see if I could break through some old PR's and establish some new size. Through the process, I did achieve new PR's on all my lifts, reached new size stats, but seriously taxed my joints/tends/ligs in the process.

Fast forward to my last SD cycle. I trained using TUT and focused on reps in the 10-12 range with outstanding form. My strength was progressing, but I focused on adding a rep or two or a set or two when I needed to instead of adding massive amouts of weight.

End of cycle I am as big or bigger now at 205 than I was at 216 after previous tester cycle. What I did this time was MUCH MORE hypertrophy training and it paid off big time.

My suggestion is that you listen to your body. It is telling you that you are ready to injure yourself. I made a comment in my tester thread, and a paraphase of it was; "if I continue to make strength gains like this I believe I am going to hurt myself. Next time around I may implement a periodization style of training".

Now because we cycle SD for so short a period, I still periodize, but focus on hypertrophy during "on" periods. I still will go heavy in PCT and from time to time, one set or two while on cycle, BUT I will likely NEVER train so heavy again. Why? Because I have seen first hand that the results of a proper hypertrophy/TUT training style give me the size increases that I am looking for...without the chance of injury.

Now if you are looking to train for strength, this is still fine, but keep in mind that these symptoms of injury that you are experiencing are suggesting that you need much more time for adaptation and recovery when you achieve the excessive strength gains that come with SD.

Training style has little effect on the gain or loss of fat, but rather calories. If you are getting fat...you are eating to much. If you are experincing joint/tend/lig pain you are lifting too much. You know how to remedy each situation.

JMHO.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I am not a very experienced lifter
you're not a very experienced lifter and you are already using steriods?? .. you are part of the reason that misconceptions about steriods are so wide spread

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
first off i will agree and say that if your not an experianced lifter then back off the sd!!

also don't change stuff up when you only have 10 days left.....just go down on the weight and add 3 or 4 more reps. i personally did not go extremely heavy when using sd. i felt more pumps by going up on my volume

The Doberman

Awards
you are part of the reason that misconceptions about steriods are so wide spread
I just gained 7 pounds and a ton of strength, with no problems other than some breakouts.

So, I am not exactly a poster boy for steroid "misconceptions".

Might not have been lifting long but I know enough about my body to know when to modify my training.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
with no problems other than some breakouts.
so..."I am starting to get a bit of joint/tendon soreness in shoulders and knees especially."

this is no problems?

So, I am not exactly a poster boy for steroid "misconceptions".

Might not have been lifting long but I know enough about my body to know when to modify my training.
statements like this are contrary to what you believe your competence is:

"So I was thinking of switching the focus from bulking to cutting. Possibly doing maint. cals and stopping training except for biceps which are lagging. this would let me

What do you guys think?"

Bulking or Cutting is about calories. Training style is about training. If there is an issue with your training correct it. I fthere is an issue with your diet correct it.

Lets not turn this into a flame thread. You asked for people thoughts You got them. Take them or leave them and/or move on with them.