need help with understanding compound structures

BMW

Awards
  • Established
can anyone show me how to understand those little hexegonal chains that are used to describe compounds. they kinda look like a piece of a honeycomb that shows the molecular structre of test for example. thanks

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
they are bonds between carbons .. a high school chem book is your best bet

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well if you know someone with a sibling .. or i'm sure there are some kind of chem websites that could help you out .. i have a VERY basic understand and i'm not the best person to help you out

i know there are people on here VERY well versed in chemistry that can help you

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
if you do hit the library, try to find a intro to organic chem book.. that would be your best bet.. and just so that you know, most high school chem books just do a glazing blow in trying to explain organic chem

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Matt - I disagree. I think he needs to learn the basics before he tries reading an Organic book.

I'd start with a regular Chemistry book. I think mine was by Hill and Petruchi (or some spelling thereof). My organic book is by Marc Loudon.

I'd see what you can find for cheap on www.half.com

The lines you see in a structure represent a covalent bond (electron sharing) between 2 carbons. If you see a single line, that is a single bond (one set of 2 shared electrons). If you see a double line, that is a double bond (2 sets of 2 shared electrons). Same for a triple line.
The basic backbone of an androgen is the 4 fused rings (3 of them 6 carbon, and one 5 carbon - with intermediate shared carbons).

If you have no idea what I just typed, do get a regular chemistry book first, you aren't ready for an organic book.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
If looking to buy a book online and you know either the author, title or ISBN go to ADDALL.com for your best prices.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
The intro book I was thinking about covers covalent bonding and ionic bonding in the first couple of chapters.. and I have used it so it is a pretty good book but I can see where someone might want to bone up on inorganic before going whole hog into organic

Now here is a link that was passed to me by way of one of our underage members, dsl. He PMed me the link and didn't post it because he wanted to do things the correct way
http://ull.chemistry.uakron.edu/genobc/index.html

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Matt - my organic book really, really breezes through the basics. So, I assumed most were of that nature.

Really, the only "basic" stuff it covers decently is nomenclature.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I know.. most of the full blown ones do.. but the intro classes are more for "non majors" if you can call it that.. more like for the people that need a very basic understanding of organic chem..