Anybody use Proscar or Propecia for DHT blocking?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.46%

Cool Anybody use Proscar or Propecia for DHT blocking?

In medicine we use Proscaar (finestride) Propecia to block conversion to DHT for prostate and male pattern baldness. Do you guys use this stuff for hair loss prevention when using PH's like 1-test that can convert to DHT?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I've used it but not for that purpose. It would certainly help for that reason though.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Originally posted by alpha6164
    In medicine we use Proscaar (finestride) Propecia to block conversion to DHT for prostate and male pattern baldness. Do you guys use this stuff for hair loss prevention when using PH's like 1-test that can convert to DHT?
    proscar only works with hormones that are 5 alpha reduced to DHT like test and androdiol after conversion.

It will do nothing for you when using 1-test since it converts through a different pathway.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.5%

The best thing to use with 1-test to prevent hair loss is a topical antiandrogen like spironolactone or flutamide. Nizoral shampoo is also an excellant addition.

Nizoral Man
    nizoralman@hotmail.com
    http://www.wholesalehairproducts.com/
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Dio, I certainly will differr to you on this subject as you are an expert of experts, but can't Proscar help the cause in genreral and if your predisposed is it really such a bad idea 1T or not?
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

In your case, you're prone to prostate problems so using it full time makes sense and may be protective against any other problems down the line

(BTW, how's everything going with that?)

It would not hurt to use finasteride while using 1-test, but I would not expect an added benefit from it.

Final note, this should be obvious already but anyone who has any prostate problems should stay the hell away from 3 alpha. The conversion enzyme needed is located in a decent amount in the prostate. Normally this would be deactivating DHT instead of creating it. So it's twice as bad.
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%

Dio, glad to see you posting here. Your expert advice is always appreciated. I hope you will stay.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Thanks John

I usually stop by when I get a chance.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Originally posted by nizoralman
    The best thing to use with 1-test to prevent hair loss is a topical antiandrogen like spironolactone or flutamide. Nizoral shampoo is also an excellant addition.

Nizoral Man
    nizoralman@hotmail.com
    Agree 100% on the spiro, but no one should be using flutamide. The chance of estrogenic sides is too high.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.5%

I agree, topical spironolactone should be the first choice. In theory, topical flutamide would cause a problem due to its 16% absorbtion. However, small topical amounts of flutamide have shown no systemic side effects. An Israeli study concluded:
    "Table II shows no difference in the systemic levels of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone following administrations of the drugs or their vehicle. This demonstrates the topical effect of this dermal drug application."

The full study can be viewed at:

http://www.bgu.ac.il/IAR/Amnon-3.htm

Nizoral Man
    nizoralman@hotmail.com
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Thanks for the study -- interesting stuff.

However, I don't think the lack of changes in systemic DHT or T means that it's safe. Remember that flutamide is an anti-andogen and as such will compete at the androgen receptor.

While this is great in the scalp (and in many cases the prostate) it's very bad for the rest of the body. It would have been better if they had measured systemic levels of flutamide.

Also, I have seen many, many accounts of people getting gyno from topical flutamide use. I'd still recommend a pass.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.5%

Originally posted by Dio
    Thanks for the study -- interesting stuff.

However, I don't think the lack of changes in systemic DHT or T means that it's safe. Remember that flutamide is an anti-andogen and as such will compete at the androgen receptor.

While this is great in the scalp (and in many cases the prostate) it's very bad for the rest of the body. It would have been better if they had measured systemic levels of flutamide.

Also, I have seen many, many accounts of people getting gyno from topical flutamide use. I'd still recommend a pass.

I guess a full head of hair won’t do any good if you got a new set of titties to go with it.

Nizoral Man
    nizoralman@hotmail.com
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.72%

From reading Dio's posts concerning hair loss on bb.com I learned about Dr. Lee (www.minoxidil.com). When accessing Dr. Lee's website I learned that his office is about 18 miles from my house (LA suburbs). Upshot is that I had an appointment with him yesterday. I've started on spiro and will continue with Proscar, Rogaine, and Nizoral.

Dr. Lee told me of a development on the horizon that I was unaware of: within three to five years (Dr. Lee's estimate) a procedure will be available to clone hair from the back of your head to create new follicles where baldness/thinning has occurred. This will be an enormous advancement over transplants since this creates new hair rather than moving existing hair and because it will not have that transplanted plug look (i.e. the new follicle will instinctively grow in naturally). The expert on this is Dr. Ken Washenik. This was news to me and it is not that far down the road. Here is one link about this: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_clo...w_washenik.cfm
    Another link is this (though the site was down when I tried to access it): hairsite2.com/library/article239.htm

Would have never known about Dr. Lee without Dio's posts. Thanks Dio.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Originally posted by nizoralman

I guess a full head of hair won’t do any good if you got a new set of titties to go with it.

Nizoral Man
    That's what I was thinkin'
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.59%

Originally posted by GuyinLA
    From reading Dio's posts concerning hair loss on bb.com I learned about Dr. Lee (www.minoxidil.com). When accessing Dr. Lee's website I learned that his office is about 18 miles from my house (LA suburbs). Upshot is that I had an appointment with him yesterday. I've started on spiro and will continue with Proscar, Rogaine, and Nizoral.

Dr. Lee told me of a development on the horizon that I was unaware of: within three to five years (Dr. Lee's estimate) a procedure will be available to clone hair from the back of your head to create new follicles where baldness/thinning has occurred. This will be an enormous advancement over transplants since this creates new hair rather than moving existing hair and because it will not have that transplanted plug look (i.e. the new follicle will instinctively grow in naturally). The expert on this is Dr. Ken Washenik. This was news to me and it is not that far down the road. Here is one link about this: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_clo...w_washenik.cfm
    Another link is this (though the site was down when I tried to access it): hairsite2.com/library/article239.htm

Would have never known about Dr. Lee without Dio's posts. Thanks Dio.
    Glad to help That's cool that you got to see Dr. Lee -- I would love to meet him myself. I've been reading about this cloning thing for years and they always make it sound closer than it is. Still, maybe they're actually getting close now.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37%

hair loss on T-1

So how bad is the typical hair loss on T-1? When using Spiro
    what should be the recommended usage during the cycle (and after?)
    ......have many on this forum had much success using spiro during
    a T-1 cycle to prevent hair loss?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anybody used PCS and Reversitol for H Drol PCT?
    By Jim Nasium in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
  3. Question for those that have used DBOL or Anadrol
    By GeorgeHavener in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
  4. anybody use bobo for contest prep?
    By WannaBeHulk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15