can i use a pressure canner to sterilize gear

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
my wife cans vagatables with a pressure canner , so i was thinkin can i use a pressure cooker to sterilize my gear ?

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
my wife cans vagatables with a pressure canner , so i was thinkin can i use a pressure cooker to sterilize my gear ?
http://www.sculptedbyiron.com/forum...ead.php?t=13552

This thread was started by SV-1 at SBI Board. It is a pretty long read with several links.
In short it says:
Why I don't autoclave/bake my gear. - By SV-1

I've seen a lot of info on the board lately about how using an autoclave or pressure cooker will sterilize oil based AAS, well after a good bit of research everything I've been able to find states the exact opposite.

To start here is a quote by Justin, a moderator at UK Muscle:
Quote:
Clearing up some misconceptions

Heat sterilisation of oil will not be successful by using 250F.
250F is the heat used by a certain class of autoclave. The autoclave uses pressure also to achieve wet sterilisation, this method will work for aqueous solutions but will NOT sterilise oil. If heat is the chosen method to sterilise oil, then you must sterilise by dry heat methods, i.e. 150-170C (302 - 338F) for 1-4 hrs, (type and volume depending) which can be detrimental to certain hormone preparations.
Divert your attentions to using clean practises, filtering with a 0.22um membrane filter and incorporating a Bacteriostatic agent (BA).

Not sayin' this is the gospel, just food for thought.
Dr.D probably can be more help in this area.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I would have to agree.. the only thing I could see it would be useful for would be to sterilize the outside of the vial/stopper or to do it before you put your working solution into it.. say pressure cooker it, alcohol bath, dry, then put in your solution..