Soy Appears To Lower Cholesterol And Blood Sugar Levels, Aid Weight Loss

  1. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2556
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    92.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Soy Appears To Lower Cholesterol And Blood Sugar Levels, Aid Weight Loss


    Soy Appears To Lower Cholesterol And Blood Sugar Levels, Aid Weight Loss

    What is so good about soy?

    A quick trip through the health-food section of any grocery will reveal several labels touting soy content, but most Americans do not know much about soy beyond a vague idea that it is a healthy food. In his JACN article, Anderson reports on his investigation into the effectiveness of soy in adult weight loss.

    Meal replacements, including powders, drinks and energy bars, are popular weight loss tools. Anderson tested two commercially available meal replacements -- one soy-based, and one milk based -- in a group of obese adults for twelve weeks. Both groups lost weight. The soy-based group lost slightly more weight in any given week, and displayed lower serum cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels. Soy intake also produced small but significant reductions in serum glucose values. This evidence suggests that soy may be a valuable tool in maintaining overall health, lowering cholesterol, and even slowing the development of diabetes.

    "The bottom line is soy is healthy, and while incorporating it into weight loss may not have a more dramatic effect on your waistline than other nutrition plans, its benefits go beyond weight loss toward increasing overall health," Anderson said.

    What is a healthy snack?

    In another JACN article, "Snack Foods: Comparing Nutrition Values of Excellent Choices and 'Junk Foods'," Anderson raises the possibility that poor snack choices may play an active role in increasing rates of childhood obesity. Noting that snacking can be healthful when snack foods are high in nutritional value and low in calories, Anderson provides a quantitative analysis of what makes a snack either a healthy choice, or a "junk food."

    While parents may not enter the grocery store with calculator in hand to crunch the numbers before their children bite into some crunchy snacks, Anderson's research reveals that there is a reliable method for calculating the health value of snack foods. He calls upon manufacturers and government to make this information more readily available to consumers.

    "Labels should clearly identify excellent food choices and junk foods," said Anderson. "The government should also consider options such as taxing junk foods, subsidizing healthy foods, and prohibiting junk food advertisements in media targeted to children, especially advertising in schools."

    As a physician, Anderson regularly treats young people trying to control their weight. He believes stemming the American obesity epidemic is a task shared by all.

    "Communities, schools, legislative bodies, movies, television and food companies should partner in promoting healthful food choices. Where childhood obesity is concerned, we are all responsible," Anderson said.

    Anderson, professor of medicine and clinical nutrition, UK College of Medicine, and director, UK Metabolic Research Group, is also the director of the Obesity Research Network, a nationwide network of physicians and scientists recognized for their work in the treatment of obesity. He also is medical director of the HMR-- Program for Weight Management in conjunction with the University of Kentucky. He currently has several weight loss and lipid treatment research studies in progress.

    ###

  2. Banned
    DuiLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    69
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    6.98%

    Doesn't soy raise estrogen levels?
  3. Doctor Science
    LakeMountD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,251
    Rep Power
    2556
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    92.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    so i've heard, but it still might be something to add in, in small amounts for people trying to control lipids.. i just posted it for info.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    TheTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50%

    Quote Originally Posted by duilee1
    Doesn't soy raise estrogen levels?
    I don't see what the big deal is, you are not going to get gyno from eating soy.

    You could probably eat all the soy in the world and not even come close to equalling the amount of estrogen 1mg of dianabol will create.

    and I doubt even someone prone to gyno, could get flare up symptoms from 1mg of dianabol, much less soy foods.
  5. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Not a fan of soy at all.

    It causes weight loss because it's killing you slowly.
  6. Advanced Member
    diplomats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    605
    Rep Power
    430
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    71.64%

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Not a fan of soy at all.

    It causes weight loss because it's killing you slowly.
    what do you mean by this bioman? I am curious because i get 50 grms of my protein from soymilk, have been doing this for months. please regail me?
  7. Banned
    Nathan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    45.12%

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Not a fan of soy at all.

    It causes weight loss because it's killing you slowly.
    BAAAAHAHAHHAA!!! what a load. i love it when people back up their arrogant remarks with the facts. let's see some science bud, cuz i've been on my way out for 15 years if that's the case. Lactose intolerant. I'm yet to see even real bloodwork done by someone who has not used soy, then uses a fair to large amount ED, and levels are thru the roof or even UP.



    Nathan1 - R.I.P.

    "Life by Soy, Death by Soy"

  8. Registered User
    TheCrownedOne's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    804
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    15.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Damn, that's a hell of a post.
  9. Senior Member
    Lean One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,673
    Rep Power
    1471
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    27.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrownedOne
    Damn, that's a hell of a post.
    Hehehe. Yeah.

    Nathan can have my soy. I'll pass...
  10. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    FWIW I think soy has useful applications if using in small amounts or using one of the many extracts. I just don't advocate it as a promary source of protein.

    The pro/anti soy debates continue to rage on. I think that even if the truth is somewhere in the middle that there are just a few too many redflags out there to use soy as a major part of one's diet. But hey, if it makes you happy..Tofu up.

    Thank VanillaGorilla for originally posting that article.
  11. Board Supporter
    willieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    50
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    264
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    15.28%

    Do a search on soy...it's a site on transgender (men becoming women)...look at the articles and how much soy is involved in the diet to raise estrogen levels.
  12. Banned
    Nathan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    45.12%

    Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    FWIW I think soy has useful applications if using in small amounts or using one of the many extracts. I just don't advocate it as a promary source of protein.

    The pro/anti soy debates continue to rage on. I think that even if the truth is somewhere in the middle that there are just a few too many redflags out there to use soy as a major part of one's diet. But hey, if it makes you happy..Tofu up.

    Thank VanillaGorilla for originally posting that article.
    funny how at first you say soy kills us so blatently, then you say the above. this was why i poked at you in the first place. i'm so sick of people saying such GENERALIZED comments about things(it's like saying milk is good for you-as in everyone-see? it's not for me.). soy as a primary source? hell no. duh. and one of the first paragraphs of that whole big ass post which i didn't read this time, but i've read something similar, if not the same thing before, was about the so many different forms of soy, and SOME including highly processed forms. no ****. so just say it. soy can be good, as MANY things can be, but be smart about it. and don't over do it. don't make it a primary source of protein. so thanx for revealing what i wanted you to.(i knew you'd come through)

    oh yeah, and who the PHUK eats TOFU?!?!?!
  13. New Member
    Brooklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    37.76%

    The Rock?
  14. Advanced Member
    diplomats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    605
    Rep Power
    430
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    71.64%

    ****! thats it NO MORE SOY!!!!
  15. Banned
    Nathan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    45.12%

    oh lord.
  16. Senior Member
    Lean One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,673
    Rep Power
    1471
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    27.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan1
    funny how at first you say soy kills us so blatently, then you say the above. this was why i poked at you in the first place. i'm so sick of people saying such GENERALIZED comments about things(it's like saying milk is good for you-as in everyone-see? it's not for me.). soy as a primary source? hell no. duh. and one of the first paragraphs of that whole big ass post which i didn't read this time, but i've read something similar, if not the same thing before, was about the so many different forms of soy, and SOME including highly processed forms. no ****. so just say it. soy can be good, as MANY things can be, but be smart about it. and don't over do it. don't make it a primary source of protein. so thanx for revealing what i wanted you to.(i knew you'd come through)

    oh yeah, and who the PHUK eats TOFU?!?!?!
    You'd better cut down on your soy consumption.

    You're starting to sound like a whiny ass byotch.
  17. Senior Member
    MarcusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    755
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    24.49%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    The article doesn't mention tripsin inhibitors and phytates which impair nutrient absorption. Soy wasn't eaten in China until fermenting techniques were developed to reduce the anti-nutrients.

    Also the differences between organic and the genetically modified giant Bob Sapp variety of soybean might be significant. The normal soybean (non-GMO) is relatively small and is depicted in ancient Chinese pictographs with an emphasized root structure - possibly showing its main use is to fix nitrogen in agriculture and not as a food source.

    Edit - I reread the article and it did mention anti-nutrients.
  18. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    POOF! I'm returning an ******* to BB.com..I didn't order this piece of ****.

    Nathan1 being a horrendously stupid little whore aside, I agree Marcus. It's a fairly complex deal seeing as how many forms are available. The article attacks primarily the big corporate farmed and processed varieties..the varieties that most people are going to blunder into when seeking out a soy product.

    The trypsin and phytate issue is addressed obliquely in the article and it's probably the main negative health issue for soy..and the reason I won't use it..besides the fact it gives me the runs like no other food substance on Earth.

    There's pretty much no ethnobotanical evidence supporting soy consumption in any ancient culture. I don't think that's because people were stupid back then, on the contrary..they probably knew by trial and error that soy sucks as bad as Nathan1. lol
  19. Advanced Member
    -2z-'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    43
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    88.5%

    Bioman....making AM a more pleasant place.
    One banning at a time.

    anyway....I was about to say this same thing:

    There's pretty much no ethnobotanical evidence supporting soy consumption in any ancient culture.
  20. New Member
    ilocano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    120
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    50.83%

    I drink soy milk because I can't handle real milk at all. Even if the **** has lactaid in it, my stomach can't handle it. WHat would be a better alternative?
  21. New Member
    Brooklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    37.76%

    Isn't this (soy, GMO's, MSG, aspartame are bad for you) the kind of thing I've been getting slagged for saying on this forum? You want an example of a company which is like the evil empire of toxic foods, try reading up on what Monsanto does.

    I drink soy milk because I can't handle real milk at all. Even if the **** has lactaid in it, my stomach can't handle it. WHat would be a better alternative?
    Have you had a similar reaction to pure whey protein in isolate form? Certain pure whey protein isolate products contain zero lactose and are far less likely to offend sensitive digestive systems. Some may even be stomachable when mixed in water.

    Soy is used because it is extremely plentiful and cheap to produce.. but then, so are dandelions.
  22. New Member
    ilocano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    120
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    50.83%

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn
    Isn't this (soy, GMO's, MSG, aspartame are bad for you) the kind of thing I've been getting slagged for saying on this forum? You want an example of a company which is like the evil empire of toxic foods, try reading up on what Monsanto does.


    Have you had a similar reaction to pure whey protein in isolate form? Certain pure whey protein isolate products contain zero lactose and are far less likely to offend sensitive digestive systems. Some may even be stomachable when mixed in water.

    Soy is used because it is extremely plentiful and cheap to produce.. but then, so are dandelions.
    Now you mention Whey Isolates, i don't know what's wrong with me then.

    I can stomach ON's whey blend, but can't handle Syntrax's whey isolate.
  23. New Member
    Brooklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    37.76%

    I can stomach ON's whey blend, but can't handle Syntrax's whey isolate.
    Could be a lack of certain digestive enzymes, like with the lactose.

    "So, what are hydrolyzed whey peptides, and how does it make the new 100% Whey better? Hydrolyzed whey is a whey protein isolate that have had some of it amino acid peptides broken into shorter chains of amino acids, which leads to improved absorption in the stomach."

    Although I do not suggest hydrolyzed anything as it increases free glutamate levels, hydrolyzed whey protein like that in ON's blend seems to make it more digestible, so that may be your answer.
  24. Advanced Member
    -2z-'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    43
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    501
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    88.5%

    I used to buy 3 gallons a week, but that was long ago.

    Now, I just don't drink milk. It's a cheat food that I MIGHT have a serving of one day a week. I find I don't miss it.
  25. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,711
    Rep Power
    513543
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ilocano
    Now you mention Whey Isolates, i don't know what's wrong with me then.

    I can stomach ON's whey blend, but can't handle Syntrax's whey isolate.

    I'm the same way..I can only stomach ON's 100%. I am not lactose intolerant at all..I can drink milk by the gallon..not that I do anymore. I think it's just a lot to ask of your body to rapidly digest 40-70 grams of protien in one sitting. Might have lower levels of one or more of the proteases is all.

    I might try some of the caseins this fall during bulking.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM
  2. coffee and blood sugar levels
    By cessna in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
  3. IGF and blood sugar
    By RedwolfWV in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 09:45 PM
  4. Ketogenic and blood sugar
    By WYD02 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in