got my pre cycle blood test results, ?'s

2slow

Awards
i had blood drawn for a comprehensive metabolic profile and lipid test. heres some of the results

ast - 23
alt - 25
hdl - 47
ldl - 59

what i have a question about is my blood urea nitrogen results. it was 27mg/dl and the normal range is 23 or below. is this something to be concerned about? is there anything i can do to get thid back into the normal range?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
it could have been you might have been a little dehydrated but if you were concerned talk to your doctor..

Jay Mc

Awards
Whats your creatinine? Also what meds/supps you on including OTC things.

Reasons BUN can be high are numerous...
Your kidneys aren't working well, you have low levels of fluid in your body (you are dehydrated), you've been eating a high-protein diet, you are bleeding into your stomach (from an ulcer, for example), you have congestive heart failure or you've had a heart attack, you are in shock, your urinary tract is blocked (for instance, from an enlarged prostate in men or from a kidney or bladder stone or tumor).

I'm betting on high protein diet, dehydration, or you had a heart attack (just kidding on that last one).

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
I'm betting on high protein diet, dehydration,
I would think that anyone on here drinks a metric ass-load of water. So I'm going with #1. We've discussed this quite a bit. There have been several (or more) members with this concern. I am one of them. Mine was 39 about 4-5 months ago. Then, I had it check a couple months later and it was fine. The difference was that I just got back from a vacation where I didn't work out at all, took no supplements, and ate like a fat ass (sort of). But definitely my protein was low for a week prior to the test. I'll be going back in two weeks for another test. I'm planning on continuing my current diet until then and see what happens.

Something else to note here:
My doctor blamed it on my BP meds (diuretics). So I should mention that I also had stopped taking them between the two tests. But I was putting away 2 gallons of water per day. So I'm not thinking that dehydration was the reason. My creatinine was also skewed slightly on the first test.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm just impressed as hell that you made the effort to get pre-cycle bloodwork. Keep up the good work young man, and enjoy your cycle. Hopefully others will take note...

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
my BUN was 37 a week ago.. dropped the protein intake down to 1g per lb of LBM, a week later it reads 30.. go figure :\

Jay Mc

Awards
just as an afterthought my advice was to supplement what your doctor says. Medicine should not be practiced over the internet, but in person. Please definitely consult w/your doc.

J

2slow

Awards
thanks for the responses guys. hopefully its just from the high protein intake. i definately take in enough water. my creatininie was the only other test out of range. it was at 27 mg/dl and anything over 23 is out of range. i figured it was a really good idea to get it done since im going to be running some m1t pretty soon

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the responses guys. hopefully its just from the high protein intake. i definately take in enough water. my creatininie was the only other test out of range. it was at 27 mg/dl and anything over 23 is out of range. i figured it was a really good idea to get it done since im going to be running some m1t pretty soon
For lowering creatinine, you could try with a more bioavailable form like CEE.
I would reduce protein intake to 0.9-1 g/lb, stop creatine or change type, wait a month and then redo your bloodtests.

I would NOT start a M1T cycle anysoon before being sure that your kidneys are not overloaded. M1T is hard on those.

Jay Mc

Awards
For lowering creatinine, you could try with a more bioavailable form like CEE.
I would reduce protein intake to 0.9-1 g/lb, stop creatine or change type, wait a month and then redo your bloodtests.

I would NOT start a M1T cycle anysoon before being sure that your kidneys are not overloaded. M1T is hard on those.
oral creatine shouldn't mess w/creatinine values. You need to follow up w/your doc on this. Creatinine is a more sensitive measure of kidney function than is BUN and I don't think high protein diet would elevate it. Your values are hugely abnormal, but given the circumstances I would get this figured out before starting your cycle. The two combined could indicate dehydration. Are you taking any other medications? NSAIDS or BP meds especially? Also, what does your BP run?

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
oral creatine shouldn't mess w/creatinine values.
I think excess creatine can cause that, or so I remember to have read here in some Dr.D posts.

I agree with all the rest and with the fact that he should visit a doc, of course.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
High protein is most likey the culprit.

I'd get your kidneys examined if you've been abusing nsaids. High protein is perfectly fine so long as your kidneys are healthy in the first place!!! However, when you have moderate renal failure, THEN and only then is high protein a problem--it can accelerate the rate of failure. <-- A very good reason for BBers who are all messed up to go see a doctor and not try to tough it out.

2slow

Awards
i havent been taking any nsaid's but i have been taking hawthorn berry bout a week prior to this test in preperation for the m1t. my blood pressure has always been normal according to my doctors. made a mistake there above about the creatinine levels were normal at 0.9, mixed that up with the bUN. im wondering if my BUN levels are out of whack because i kinda cheated b4 taking the blood test. i had a protein shake about 5 hours prior to the test because i couldnt take the stomach growling anymore, oops. was supposed to fast for 12 hours. i searched around on here and seen that i should have had my GGT tested as well. will have to remember that one next time. i schedule an appointment with my doctor and see if i can get that tested. thanks for all the help guys

Jay Mc

Awards
i havent been taking any nsaid's but i have been taking hawthorn berry bout a week prior to this test in preperation for the m1t. my blood pressure has always been normal according to my doctors. made a mistake there above about the creatinine levels were normal at 0.9, mixed that up with the bUN. im wondering if my BUN levels are out of whack because i kinda cheated b4 taking the blood test. i had a protein shake about 5 hours prior to the test because i couldnt take the stomach growling anymore, oops. was supposed to fast for 12 hours. i searched around on here and seen that i should have had my GGT tested as well. will have to remember that one next time. i schedule an appointment with my doctor and see if i can get that tested. thanks for all the help guys
:rant: You must fast for a reason! RE creatine supps. Everything I've read says oral creatine supps shouldn't raise that value. Creatinine isn't reabsorbed (not really) so the fast should knock out any kind of blip you might see.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
:rant: You must fast for a reason! RE creatine supps. Everything I've read says oral creatine supps shouldn't raise that value. Creatinine isn't reabsorbed (not really) so the fast should knock out any kind of blip you might see.
This may be what should be the case, but in practice things end up being very different. I had a very good friend who started taking CEE, about 2-5 grams a day. Went in for routine bloodwork and his creatinine and bun levels were ridiculously high. Doctor thought he had kidney failure. He repeated his tests about 5-7 times, fasted/unfasted, with working out/wo, and with creatine and without the CEE. The biggest changes were when he dropped the CEE for a few days. Even regular monohydrate effected things far less than teh CEE. So suggesting CEE to reduce BUN and creatinine levels, while sounding plausible did not pan out in his case.

On another note, if you have been training hard, your ast, alt, and BUN can all be significantly elevated. SJA, I believe in your case this is probably what happened. Taking a week off from working out will definetly change blood work values. I've even read (can't remember where exactly) that for the most accurate results, you should take 3 days off from working out before hand.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
This may be what should be the case, but in practice things end up being very different. I had a very good friend who started taking CEE, about 2-5 grams a day. Went in for routine bloodwork and his creatinine and bun levels were ridiculously high. Doctor thought he had kidney failure. He repeated his tests about 5-7 times, fasted/unfasted, with working out/wo, and with creatine and without the CEE. The biggest changes were when he dropped the CEE for a few days. Even regular monohydrate effected things far less than teh CEE. So suggesting CEE to reduce BUN and creatinine levels, while sounding plausible did not pan out in his case.

On another note, if you have been training hard, your ast, alt, and BUN can all be significantly elevated. SJA, I believe in your case this is probably what happened. Taking a week off from working out will definetly change blood work values. I've even read (can't remember where exactly) that for the most accurate results, you should take 3 days off from working out before hand.
Very informative post. I thought the opposite about CEE, but didnt try that on my tests anyway.

For off period i believe that 2-3 days enough to have the DOMS disappear is enough to normalize liver values.

Jay Mc

Awards

I was refering to monohydrate. There is no reason creatinine clearance would be effected by supplementing w/creatine MH following a fast other than kidney damage. Creatinine is not reabsorbed by the kidneys in any appreciable amount. I don't know what your frineds problem was. Perhaps CEE is kidney damaging. It is, after all, a rather unsubstantiated product in terms of efficacy and safety from a clinical standpoint vs. monohydrate.

Here are some reads for you guys: sorry, I can't copy and paste at the moment. If you are really interested search pub med for kreider and creatine for starters

4restgump

Awards
oral creatine shouldn't mess w/creatinine values. You need to follow up w/your doc on this. Creatinine is a more sensitive measure of kidney function than is BUN and I don't think high protein diet would elevate it. Your values are hugely abnormal, but given the circumstances I would get this figured out before starting your cycle. The two combined could indicate dehydration. Are you taking any other medications? NSAIDS or BP meds especially? Also, what does your BP run?
I believe that oral creatine does affect Creatinine values. I had high creatinine levels in my blood and they continue to drop as time goes on. I recently had blood work done after 11 days of discontinuing creatine use. My creatinine level went from 1.56 to 1.49 after 11 days. From my research creatinine levels return to normal about 1 month after your last cycle. I will get another lab in 2 or 3 weeks and see if that gets my levels to an acceptable range.