Metformin

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm pretty sure I've asked about this before, but I've been seeing newer articles mentioning the effects it may have on longevity and cancer. I didn't know about these when I was previously thinking of trying it before, so now it's even more appealing.

Have any of you used it by itself and what have you noticed from it? I've seen a few people say there can be some nasty side effects but no one who has said they actually experienced them.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Are you talking about glucose levels/ insulin levels benefits or the blunting of mTOR signalling? All the stuff I've seen about this has been with obese people and no actual studies on it actually being a prevention method, just a theory, unless you have a study for me to look at? But as for BG/insulin control berberine was put head to head with it with pretty good results. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/ "Compared with metformin, berberine exhibited an identical effect in the regulation of glucose metabolism, such as HbA1c, FBG, PBG, fasting insulin and postprandial insulin. In the regulation of lipid metabolism, berberine activity is better than metformin. By week 13, triglycerides and total cholesterol in the berberine group had decreased and were significantly lower than in the metformin group (P<0.05)."

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 57 and have been using 500 mg ED of Metformin for about a year now. No GI distress or other issues other than loss of appetite. So far I've seen fasting glucose drop drop 104 to 95. Next bloodwork will test for HBA1C changes.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
a couple things I recall reading a while back....

-don't use if you do a lot of HIIT, as it can cause acidosis

-metformin can lower testosterone levels a bit...

^I will try to find those articles and post them in later...

sespress

Awards
Gentlemen are we talking about using this for somebody building reason or are you guys looking to prevent diabetes if your blood sugar is testing High these days?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Side effects exhibited by my wife when her doctor prescribed this: Extreme dizziness, and some bowl disfunction. (read loose).

Read these about it:
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/research/metformin

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4200668/
Thanks for the links, did the side effects last or eventually go away while still using it?
Are you talking about glucose levels/ insulin levels benefits or the blunting of mTOR signalling? All the stuff I've seen about this has been with obese people and no actual studies on it actually being a prevention method, just a theory, unless you have a study for me to look at? But as for BG/insulin control berberine was put head to head with it with pretty good results. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/ "Compared with metformin, berberine exhibited an identical effect in the regulation of glucose metabolism, such as HbA1c, FBG, PBG, fasting insulin and postprandial insulin. In the regulation of lipid metabolism, berberine activity is better than metformin. By week 13, triglycerides and total cholesterol in the berberine group had decreased and were significantly lower than in the metformin group (P<0.05)."
I know Berberine is good for this which is ultimately what I went with last time, but now seeing this about Metformin has me interested in it, and for the price it almost seems stupid to not use it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm 57 and have been using 500 mg ED of Metformin for about a year now. No GI distress or other issues other than loss of appetite. So far I've seen fasting glucose drop drop 104 to 95. Next bloodwork will test for HBA1C changes.
I'd be interested in the results, when will that be?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
a couple things I recall reading a while back....

-don't use if you do a lot of HIIT, as it can cause acidosis

-metformin can lower testosterone levels a bit...

^I will try to find those articles and post them in later...
I've seen the Testosterone concerns, but that's a new one for me regarding acidosis. I don't do HIIT at all really, so I should be good there.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the links, did the side effects last or eventually go away while still using it?

I know Berberine is good for this which is ultimately what I went with last time, but now seeing this about Metformin has me interested in it, and for the price it almost seems stupid to not use it.
No, they subsided.
Thanks for bringing this topic up, I'm looking further back into Metformin.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I haven't gotten the chance to do too much of my own research, but could using this when it technically isn't needed, cause permanent need for it, or permanently effect blood sugar in any way?

sespress

Awards
Which do you think?
I must be being pretty retarded I'm actually not too sure based on the comments that I've read so far and what I read about the chemical online.

Sounds like trying to prevent high blood sugar. Prediabetes. OP however asked about longevity. Anything that affects the way the body uses sugar I could also see being used to cut weight potentially - or mess you up pretty good if it's not called for.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've read it has helped in staving off metastasizing colon cancer, or the potential to do so among other things. 500mg daily seems to be the dose recommended to start at if not Type 2 Diabetic.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I must be being pretty retarded I'm actually not too sure based on the comments that I've read so far and what I read about the chemical online.

Sounds like trying to prevent high blood sugar. Prediabetes. OP however asked about longevity. Anything that affects the way the body uses sugar I could also see being used to cut weight potentially - or mess you up pretty good if it's not called for.
I don't believe I am pre diabetic, I was looking for my most recent blood work to check my blood sugar levels but I can't find it, but I assume they were fine.

The main reason is for the potential effects on leaning out, I see people get a great pump when using it as well. But I decided to go with an over the counter GDA last time. Now, since I've learned of the others potential benefits I am more interested in using it instead of something over the counter.

sespress

Awards
Ok - I didn't put it together with the GDA stuff available OTC. Gotcha.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Apart from the GDA properties which have already been matched by something natural, the whole cancer thing is by blunting mTOR which can be detrimental to protein synthesis and other anabolic pathways.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Apart from the GDA properties which have already been matched by something natural, the whole cancer thing is by blunting mTOR which can be detrimental to protein synthesis and other anabolic pathways.
I haven't seen anyone using it for bodybuilding purposes seem too concerned with that aspect, granted most of them are probably using AAS.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen anyone using it for bodybuilding purposes seem too concerned with that aspect, granted most of them are probably using AAS.
Most using metformin in the bodybuilding world are using AAS, insulin and GH....

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with acidosis?

FYI: Berberine
https://examine.com/supplements/berberine/

"Berberine is a compound extracted from a variety of herbs. It is supplemented for its anti-diabetic effects, which rival the potency of some pharmaceuticals."

"Berberine is one of the few supplements in the Examine.com database with human evidence that establishes it to be as effective as pharmaceuticals."