Protein intake while on cycle

JS424

Awards
So I've been cutting weight for many months, about 7 months. I did this gradually and all naturally and cut down 44 pounds. I was taking in around 1g of protein per pound each day.

Now that I am going to soon enter the world of DS cycling, I am wanting to add dry muscle. From the research I've done, cycling basically just helps the body more efficiently process protein.

So does this mean I should increase my daily protein intake to maybe 1.5-2g per day? Or should I stick at 1g because it will be better used ?

Also, should I still stick to lower carbs on cycle for dry gains?

Thanks

moleculargnz

Awards
Yes protein synthesis will be significantly increased so protein intake should increase as well. I usually go up to about 1.2-1.3g/lb of body weight but even that is a lot and probably excessive. There's no research demonstrating anything beyond that is more beneficial and its actually detrimental to your health. People think they need a lot more protein than what their body actually needs to maximize muscle growth.

K_pem

K_pem

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I keep my protein intake from 1.3-1.5g/lb year round and advise you to be at 1.5g/lb minimum. As stated previously MPS will be elevated, studies have already shown I believe up to 1.3g/lb to be proven beneficial for muscle growth in normal exercising individuals. I can only imagine the required amount for maximum benefit while on cycle. Having those extra amino acids in your blood won't hurt.