People who know stuff about heart murmurs

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well needless to say I have one a very faint one the doc says. I just got back from my regular check up getting bloodwork doen to see how the pct did me.

Shoudl I be worried about it? I did do a 1T and 4-ad cycle last fall and I have been doing some long runs since Janurary trying to get ready for OCS. I just need some advice to know whether to freak out or not. I am surprisingly calm right now though except for having to listen to my fiance bitch me out about using stuff:rolleyes:

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Apparentely most athletes get murmurs. Woudl working out hard 3x's a week and running 5 miles 3x's a week qualify as an athlete??

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Apparentely most athletes get murmurs. Woudl working out hard 3x's a week and running 5 miles 3x's a week qualify as an athlete??
Running 15 miles a week and working out is an atheletic load IMO. I think that would qualify. Just like powerlifters(drug using or not) tend to have enlarged hearts. You can't be too careful with your heart though.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Well I wouldnt freak out but I would modify my approach to exercise, slow it down, and realize that you can still make some gains and that you dont necessarily have to use androgens to make them. In my mind exercise is about enhancing health, not destroying it for an extra inch of arm. I would redefine my priorities and definately refine my workouts with an emphasis on form and not gut busting poundages, that means moving a little slower and making rest periods at least 2 minutes between sets and 3 minutes between exercises, with no lifting to failure. If you take it easy the murmur may normalize, but that doesnt mean it wont come back if you over do it.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well I have talked around to a few people and a lot of guys told me that when they played sports they had a doctor tell them they had a murmur bt after they went to college and became inactive it went away. So that makes me feel a little better.

Dr.D if you could chime in I woudl appreciate it.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
If by murmur you mean arrythmia, there is a condition called "athelete's heart syndrome" in which trained atheletic peoples' hearts skip a beat sometimes.

Research athlete's heart syndrome, also there were a couple posts on it at avantlabs. Maybe that is what is bothering you.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Can be energy-dependent. I was a a competitive cyclist and a lot of us had this. 400mg of Co-Q10 or 150mg of Idebenone will help dramatically.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
There is definitley a difference in murmurs and premature beats. PAC's, PJC's, PVC's are common as well are murmurs. Many are not a problem. It would be a problem IF there is a problem with one of the valves within the heart that might impede effective heart function. If your doc isn't worried and you still are, get an ECG(12-lead) performed or one of the other tests available.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro had the exact same thing happen to me a while ago. Had been training really hard, came off 1t/4AD about 10 months prior - went to a doc for a routine checkup and he told me I had a heart murmur. I really freaked out about it...I got so stressed out I started getting psychosomatic symptoms...dizzyness, chest pains, etc. (I get like that, its ridiculous)

Anyway, after going getting an echocardiogram done - turned up normal. A checkup a year later and a different doc didnt hear anything abnormal.

An 'atheletes heart' will sound like a murmur, and its actually your heart pumping with more force - and the blood rushing through your valves. If you're worried about it, get an echo done so you can be sure.

BV