Health Insurance Coverage and Steroid Use

Jpwithey

Awards
I always think of worst case scenarios because I like to be prepared in the event that murphy's law strikes. I have great health insurance (Blue Cross Platinum 90 PPO and critical health policy for heart/cancer), but what would happen if I tried to use my PPO and critical care policy if an issue arrived that was connected to steroid use. Now granted, I goto great lengths to invest in a ancillary supplements to counter traditional side effects from use, but would I be covered? If anybody has anything, let me know. This is something I haven't seen on the boards that I'm interested in - get at me!

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I'd say you're still covered. I have KP but I dnt remember any clause that binds me to be drug free or else coverage is inapplicable.

Jpwithey

Awards
thanks good vibes. anyone else...bump. hoping for couple responses.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Np, check the disclaimer section of your contract. You probably already signed it too, but no one ever reads it.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd say you're still covered. I have KP but I dnt remember any clause that binds me to be drug free or else coverage is inapplicable.
I love KP.

The only thing I heard with any insurance is the smoking clause. You have to pay a little more for insurance if you're a smoker and if you lied then they can deny your coverage (emergency, surgery).
My doctor did tell me that if you keep getting tests (std, drug) then they can cancel your insurance because you're being reckless.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you have any issues just don't let anyone know it was steroid related. If you have low test act like it happened naturally. If you get gyno act like it happened naturally. Unless you have a doctor you trust and are comfortable with, I think it would be best to keep steroid use to yourself.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think you can be excluded from coverage/booted from coverage if you were found to be on steroids now that the Affordable Health Care act went into effect.

That said-Will you rates increase? Perhaps.

Weatherman

Awards
It depends on how serious the issue is. Insurance companies pay over and over again for people to get into treatment centers for drugs and alcohol but those people could overdose and die so it's more urgent. I doubt they could deny you for a problem related to steroids but it would be best off not mentioning AAS and just saying it happens out of nowhere.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on how serious the issue is. Insurance companies pay over and over again for people to get into treatment centers for drugs and alcohol but those people could overdose and die so it's more urgent. I doubt they could deny you for a problem related to steroids but it would be best off not mentioning AAS and just saying it happens out of nowhere.
You think doctors are retards or something?. You know they can put 2 and 2 together.

Weatherman

Awards
Some doctors truly are retards and if you don't come clean they can't just assume you used steroids in the past. As long as you're not on them at the time they won't know

Weatherman

Awards
Well They can Assume but they can't tell your insurance company that you used them for a fact

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I always think of worst case scenarios because I like to be prepared in the event that murphy's law strikes. I have great health insurance (Blue Cross Platinum 90 PPO and critical health policy for heart/cancer), but what would happen if I tried to use my PPO and critical care policy if an issue arrived that was connected to steroid use. Now granted, I goto great lengths to invest in a ancillary supplements to counter traditional side effects from use, but would I be covered? If anybody has anything, let me know. This is something I haven't seen on the boards that I'm interested in - get at me!
never tell them about off script use of these compounds... if something did pop up blame it on meds you where known to be taking or on supplements you bought online that was supposed to be all natural health boosters, or a bad b12 shot if you ever got an infection IMO

it will also screw you for life insurance to be mentioning aas use. avoid it unless life depends on it for somereason (ie big unforeseen surgery)

Jpwithey

Awards
What about the event of a tox screen? Would they test for AAS. If for instance, a lot of doctors will run complete metabolic panel (CMP) and baskin lipid panel, the data wouldn't rule out AAS use. Can they run a test without your consent? this will be on the permanent medical record, and is this shared with insurance companies?

At this point, I think the consensus is use short term esters, but accidents happen immediately so the short term ester idea is flawed. I'll look into it and post back my findings. Give me 2 weeks. The funny thing is my brother is a physician but don't want to bring it up to him. thanks for your help brothers.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
What about the event of a tox screen? Would they test for AAS. If for instance, a lot of doctors will run complete metabolic panel (CMP) and baskin lipid panel, the data wouldn't rule out AAS use. Can they run a test without your consent? this will be on the permanent medical record, and is this shared with insurance companies?

At this point, I think the consensus is use short term esters, but accidents happen immediately so the short term ester idea is flawed. I'll look into it and post back my findings. Give me 2 weeks. The funny thing is my brother is a physician but don't want to bring it up to him. thanks for your help brothers.
Overthinking it bro. Tox screens doesn't reflect AAS use. Then doctors Dnt care much about running added blood test in fear of lawsuits if they get caught. Most bloodwork is sent to a third party for testing so it's a separate entity.

Jpwithey

Awards
Kk. Ancs for your help good vibes. Much appreciated. Take care brotha.

muscletank

muscletank

Awards
Its virtually impossible to prove a health issue was related to steroid use unless you tell your doctor.

Heart attacks, clotting, kidney dysfunction and other issues related to improper long term anabolic use can also be caused by other factors.

Of course, if you are a huge bodybuilder it is obvious but I am yet to hear them being denied payment for care for health issues.

I think every guy on roids should at least get their blood pressure and hematocrit checked once in a while to prevent the main issues. A CBC and CMP test can help.