Question about what happens to the heart while on Steroids

NoExcuses12

Awards
Whats up guys,

Was talking to my friend last night and steroids came up. He was saying that they are the worse possible thing you can do to your body, which obviously isn't true (he's just another media brain washed f**k).

He did bring up the point that when on steroids your heart, which of course is a muscle, becomes bigger which makes it weaker. This makes sense to me, but I was wondering your guys thoughts on it truly damaging the heart to the degree that you are in serious danger.

I hope you get the gist of my questions. Thanks!

Mystere3

Awards
Usually that effect is from high blood pressure with steroids. There aren't very many androgen receptors in cardiac muscle compared to skeletal.

NoExcuses12

Awards
Usually that effect is from high blood pressure with steroids. There aren't very many androgen receptors in cardiac muscle compared to skeletal.
So the notion that my friend is saying, is pretty much untrue? (Aside from the fact that youll have higher blood pressure while on your cycle)

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Or he's refering to Arnold's open heart surgery and just connected dots that weren't there

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, continuous exogenous GH use may lead to enlarged organs, including the heart but steroids only exact their anabolic effects on skeletal muscle.

NoExcuses12

Awards
No, continuous exogenous GH use may lead to enlarged organs, including the heart but steroids only exact their anabolic effects on skeletal muscle.
When you say "exact" on skeletal muscles what do you mean? Sorry, Im just new to this and dont know all the lingo.

Mystere3

Awards
Oh okay. So steroids effects may lead to an enlarged heart but at the end of the day it doesn't directly effect it because it only exerts itself on skeletal muscles.
That's not precisely true. Steroids do affect cardiac muscle, just not to the same degree it affects skeletal muscle, because the receptor density is much much less.

In any case this is only relevant to TRT, not short cycles.

NoExcuses12

Awards
That's not precisely true. Steroids do affect cardiac muscle, just not to the same degree it affects skeletal muscle, because the receptor density is much much less. In any case this is only relevant to TRT, not short cycles.
Could you define TRT for me. And also, how long is a short cycle? 4 weeks?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Could you define TRT for me. And also, how long is a short cycle? 4 weeks?
Testosterone Replacement Therapy - on going testosterone injections. Usually ranges between 100-200mg/wk.

4 weeks is very short for a cycle. If u spend less than 12 weeks a year cycling then this problem is likely to never be an issue for u. But hey, I'm not a doctor, so remember that.

asilentj3w

Awards
Yeah as previously stated - the heart enlargement is more related to high blood pressure. Causes left ventricular hypertrophy because there is increased vascular resistance making the left ventricle work harder to circulate blood. With a proper cycle including estrogen control which is what brings on the fluid retention in turn causing the hypertension (hence why the first med usually prescribed to treat htn is a thiazide diuretic), and not pounding salt in the diet , heart enlargement shouldn't be something to worry about

Mystere3

Awards
The mechanism of AAS induced htn isn't due to estrogen, as it'll occur in drugs that don't aromatize and even in the setting of an AI. It's thought to be secondary to a combination of endothelial factors and activation of RAS. Taking a low dose of losartan during cycle might not be a terrible idea as it'd prevent any negative side effects.

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so the resume is when people control bp on cycle they wont suffer from lvh?

Mystere3

Awards
On cycle bp is much less important than bp during regular life.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
so the resume is when people control bp on cycle they wont suffer from lvh?
The thing is that if you have an issue with HBP before taking a steroid cycle then you have other major issues that need addressing before even thinking of going on a steroid cycle.

Also there is no specific direct link to long term steroid use causing heart attacks but there are links to long term steroid users having heart attacks and heart surgery.

I would look at their overall lifestyles over the course of 20 years more than just their steroid use.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Testosterone Replacement Therapy - on going testosterone injections. Usually ranges between 100-200mg/wk.

4 weeks is very short for a cycle. If u spend less than 12 weeks a year cycling then this problem is likely to never be an issue for u. But hey, I'm not a doctor, so remember that.
My wife always told me I had a big heart.