Keeping the gains made post cycle thru proper PCT-please elaborate

stratvox

stratvox

Awards
Ok, Ive read a lot on PCT and plan on having Nolva, 6 0x0 , and ZMA for my post cycle therapy and half way thru my next on cycle I will add formestane. I understand the need to perform pct to get the body naturally , albeit aided, producing testerone, blocking estrogen thus no titties, and to normalize my hormonal balance. BUT I do not understand the mechanism in which PCT will help me keep the mass and strength or at least most of it.

I think this is a valid post, please dont say read more. I have and now I need the input. Thanks. Maybe this should be a stickie?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Having not gone through pct yet, I think it's simply by keeping cals high w/ quality sources.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
lessen the volume and intensity of your workouts, keep cals high, and get plenty of sleep ... a cortisol blunting supp isn't a bad idea either, while that won't affect your keeping of gains, its nice not to get fat

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ok, Ive read a lot on PCT and plan on having Nolva, 6 0x0 , and ZMA for my post cycle therapy and half way thru my next on cycle I will add formestane. I understand the need to perform pct to get the body naturally , albeit aided, producing testerone, blocking estrogen thus no titties, and to normalize my hormonal balance. BUT I do not understand the mechanism in which PCT will help me keep the mass and strength or at least most of it.

I think this is a valid post, please dont say read more. I have and now I need the input. Thanks. Maybe this should be a stickie?
Without PCT your body would take a lot longer to recover, probably, and during that time your body not only isn't in a position to put on mass, it can barely keep it. By getting your body back to its normal balance more quickly you lessen the catabolic effects of having low test, high cortisol, etc. Basically you're knocking your body out of balance so you can gain muscle very quickly, and then knocking it back into balance as quick as possible so you can keep the muscle rather than having it disappear while your body readjusts. You're going to lose some of the mass you gain anyway, the point of PCT is just to minimize that effect.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
lessen the volume and intensity of your workouts, keep cals high, and get plenty of sleep ... a cortisol blunting supp isn't a bad idea either, while that won't affect your keeping of gains, its nice not to get fat
what is an example of an cortisol suppressor, I know dermal 7-oxo, but is there anything else?

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
sledges 7-oh or lean xtreme are both great board sponsored options!

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sledges lean extreme will block cortisol. cdb hit the rest. basically while on ph your body uses the nutrients more efficiently and builds muscle. pct you have no ph and very low natural test so your body needs more nutrients than normal to maintain oryou'll burn muscle for energy. anti e restores test levels about twice as fast as normal.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
sledges lean extreme will block cortisol. cdb hit the rest. basically while on ph your body uses the nutrients more efficiently and builds muscle. pct you have no ph and very low natural test so your body needs more nutrients than normal to maintain oryou'll burn muscle for energy. anti e restores test levels about twice as fast as normal.
Please you have to eat like a motherfucker from quality food sources. LOTS of protein and good carbs and some healthy fat. That's true all the time during training, but it's especially true during PCT. When your body has a choice to take muscle or fat for fuel, it'll take the muscle, so you'd better make sure you're eating real good and at or above maintainance.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
When you come off a cycle, your natural test levels are about equal to those of a 1-year old baby girl. You will lose muscle very quickly with no testosterone in your body. PCT helps get those test levels up much quicker than they would naturally. As your HPTA begins to recover, it becomes increasingly easier to maintain the new muscle. You will always lose some gains, but PCT helps to minimize it.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
I would add that proper PCT is not just a function of Pharmalogical supplementation and nutrient intake, but propper training. Whatever you were doing while "on", change it. If you can force you body to make a physiological adapation after a cycle, you will keep more of your gains. If for example, you are performing lots of volume oriented training while "on", switch too low volume, low rep HIT type training during PCT. Your body will try to adapt due to the change in physiological stress and more of your gains will be maintained.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I would add that proper PCT is not just a function of Pharmalogical supplementation and nutrient intake, but propper training. Whatever you were doing while "on", change it. If you can force you body to make a physiological adapation after a cycle, you will keep more of your gains. If for example, you are performing lots of volume oriented training while "on", switch too low volume, low rep HIT type training during PCT. Your body will try to adapt due to the change in physiological stress and more of your gains will be maintained.
This sort of conflicts with what Bobo was saying in a similar post.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Lower weights, fewer sets, higher reps, lower intensity.

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?p=236356#post236356
First, my main point was that you needed a physiological change. The changing from high to low reps was an example. The opposite (low to high) would be true as well.

The key is change and intensity. Intensity can be performed with high weights and lower reps or lower weights and a lower tempo. That being said, I do believe higher volume while "on" and lower volume while "off" is ideal. So, I guess you could say I am arguing bit more to the side of Bryan Haycock's methods.