Anyone else have a self-destructive side?

AwhYeah

AwhYeah

Banned
Awards
I have a theory that bodybuilders tend to be self-destructive. I, for one, tend to binge drink 2-3 times a month and chain smoke when I do.

I pride myself on my ability to control myself, but every now and then I sorta "pop."

There is no way, in my opinion, you can lead such a regimented life and not indulge occasionally.

AwhYeah

AwhYeah

Banned
Awards
I posted this in the "anabolics" section because I believe people who are willing to use steroids possess a level of thrill seeking and risk taking; I being one of them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't smoke/drink/party or anything.

I get off work, eat, train, eat, sleep.

The only variations to that depend on when I get off and will be TV or video games while eating and shortly after.

Everyday.

AwhYeah

AwhYeah

Banned
Awards
I don't smoke/drink/party or anything.

I get off work, eat, train, eat, sleep.

The only variations to that depend on when I get off and will be TV or video games while eating and shortly after.

Everyday.
Are you happy? Serious question. Do you feel you are "living life?"

This sport is more taxing mentally and physically than anything I've seen.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes? My job sucks but I love it when I'm not at work. Why does "living life" have to include alcohol/drugs/parties?

I'd be more worried that someone is unhappy if the only way they can unwind is to do something destructive.

All I enjoy doing is lifting. When I'm not doing it, I'm talking to people on here abut it or increasing my knowledge of it.

Me and the wife go bowling occasionally but not very often do we do anything but what I wrote above. Also, I am only 20 years old so it isn't like I'm an older person and have burnt out on those things. I don't enjoy drinking or smoking or partying.

AwhYeah

AwhYeah

Banned
Awards
Yes? My job sucks but I love it when I'm not at work. Why does "living life" have to include alcohol/drugs/parties?

I'd be more worried that someone is unhappy if the only way they can unwind is to do something destructive.

All I enjoy doing is lifting. When I'm not doing it, I'm talking to people on here abut it or increasing my knowledge of it.

Me and the wife go bowling occasionally but not very oftener do we do anything but what I wrote above. Also, I am only 20 years old so it isn't like I'm an older person and have burnt out on those things. I don't enjoy drinking or smoking or partying.
I respect that a lot man. That's a great outlook on life. Hold onto that.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
I believe most people only have so much willpower and everyonce and awhile something gives. For example, I worked, I worked out after work, I should have studied after that, but I didn't, I watched tv with my wife. I agree with the risk taking and thrill seeking, I would add most lean towards an addictive personality.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
I have a theory that bodybuilders tend to be self-destructive. I, for one, tend to binge drink 2-3 times a month and chain smoke when I do.

I pride myself on my ability to control myself, but every now and then I sorta "pop."

There is no way, in my opinion, you can lead such a regimented life and not indulge occasionally.
On a side note I am on the opposite side with alcohol, I force myself to have a drink ortwo in a social situation. I put the work in at the gym and my diet restrictions I don't want to put that in my body

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On a side note I am on the opposite side with alcohol, I force myself to have a drink ortwo in a social situation. I put the work in at the gym and my diet restrictions I don't want to put that in my body
Same here. Who has time for a hangover when I have weights to fukin throw around the next day?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Same here. Who has time for a hangover when I have weights to fukin throw around the next day?
Lol/ people often ask why I don't get drunk often. They look shocked when I tell them I don't want it to affect my workout.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
I'm like Sir Jim of Buick....I don't fck around at all. I work out every day I am scheduled too, sick/tired/PMSing..no excuses EVER. I make sure I get my protein and whatever macros I am running that particular period in time. Never done (illicit/street) drugs, never drank or smoked, never partied really hard or stayed up all night etc. You could say "you don't have no 'fun'"....but what is "fun"? its what YOU think is fun. Fun for me is this whole lifestyle and all that goes with it, as well as watching a LOT of TV (sports, educational TV, some nonsense reality shows too :D) To SPS's comment about schoolwork, I am proactive there and am always ahead a week or two in every class, I am 100% proactive and responsible with that as well. I work out, then I know I have 2-3 hours for classwork and I make sure to do whatever it is that needs to be done. The weekend daytimes is also set aside for school, after 7PM I can do what I want. Whatever I do I go 100% and don't fck around with it.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I'm like Sir Jim of Buick....I don't fck around at all. I work out every day I am scheduled too, sick/tired/PMSing..no excuses EVER. I make sure I get my protein and whatever macros I am running that particular period in time. Never done (illicit/street) drugs, never drank or smoked, never partied really hard or stayed up all night etc. You could say "you don't have no 'fun'"....but what is "fun"? its what YOU think is fun. Fun for me is this whole lifestyle and all that goes with it, as well as watching a LOT of TV (sports, educational TV, some nonsense reality shows too :D) To SPS's comment about schoolwork, I am proactive there and am always ahead a week or two in every class, I am 100% proactive and responsible with that as well. I work out, then I know I have 2-3 hours for classwork and I make sure to do whatever it is that needs to be done. The weekend daytimes is also set aside for school, after 7PM I can do what I want. Whatever I do I go 100% and don't fck around with it.
Only time I miss the gym is when I'm still sore. Working out sore muscles is counterproductive in my opinion unless you're trying to shred up

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
Only time I miss the gym is when I'm still sore. Working out sore muscles is counterproductive in my opinion unless you're trying to shred up
true, but when your advanced and have put in a lot of years/decades....its super hard to get really sore. A sore ass? all the time :D, But most other bodyparts don't get that sore for me anymore. Also working each bodypart once per week really helps with the soreness issue, since you have 7 full days to recuperate and you are usually doing something that does not require the sore bodypart if you schedule your workouts so that you do arms one day, push the next, pull the next, then legs....something like that.

Eddinho08

Eddinho08

Awards
Is Insulin induced binge eating a dark side??. If so.. I'm on that boat. Dieting for so longggggg has taken a mental effect on me.

I'm Hispanic, and I live with my parents. They don't understand the concept of clean eating, and always have my favorite pastries (mexican sweet bread) laying around. Not to mention the countless tubs of ice cream, and just cookies and chips.
At family events, no one understands why I diet.
And when I do happen to take a bite, I tend to eat and eat a little more and than it adds up.
Sushi is my straight weakness!.

And I rarely party, never smoke and damn near don't drink. But when I do party, it's not what we call responsible LOL.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
I don't drink anymore. I will have an ocassional Red Hook IPA with my steak but that's nothing.

I used to be into VERY heavy drugs. I quit that part of my life and decided to choose a better path (I wasn't doing to well, OD'd twice on morphine by age 19). Now I'm clean, great diet, healthy social life and great self control.

I am hiring a coach and moving into bodybuilding competition next year. This isn't a hobby its my fukin lifestyle now. I wake up make my meals, pack my gym bag, go to work, workout and then come home and repeat.

I still go out with friends, I still hit bars and chase women (my favorite thing other than gym time) I just don't drink. I DD for my bros and honestly its easier to pick up women sober :) I'm not a Dick so I don't blow it when I'm sober. The bar I usually go too makes food earlier in the evening and they will make me sweet potato, grilled salmon and a salad everytime I go because they know I don't drink. Its actual cool being that guy.

napalm

napalm

Awards
<----self destructive for the first 40 yrs of my life. Booze, drugs,the whole 9 yards. Now, rarely drink. When I say rarely I mean, once since December.

Reason: I'm old, and don't recover like I used to. If I have like 3 beers, I feel like s.hit for two days. I'm also terrified of getting a DUI, so if I do drink, it's at home.
I also don't want my 12 yr old to see a hungover father.

Sleep is much more important now...

AwhYeah

AwhYeah

Banned
Awards
Thanks for all the replies. Like I said, I only drink 2-3 times a month. If I want to be serious about this I need to "trim the fat" from my lifestyle.

I respect a lot of you for what you have said.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Compared to actual sports, BBing is a walk in the park. Also, the notion that taking anabolics makes you inherently self-destructive makes no sense whatsoever. How many people actually die each year as a result, either directly or indirectly, of taking AAS? There are more people that end up in the hospital from iron toxicity from multivitamins or even taking too many Tylenol PM. It's the abuse not the use that poses a true risk to someone, but that can be applied to every drug that has ever been developed.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Compared to actual sports, BBing is a walk in the park. Also, the notion that taking anabolics makes you inherently self-destructive makes no sense whatsoever. How many people actually die each year as a result, either directly or indirectly, of taking AAS? There are more people that end up in the hospital from iron toxicity from multivitamins or even taking too many Tylenol PM. It's the abuse not the use that poses a true risk to someone, but that can be applied to every drug that has ever been developed.
Truer words havent been said... well put man

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Self-Destructive? No. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Have you seen our daily routines? With the supplementing, workout planning and eating schedules, we are all OCD! Lol

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Self-Destructive? No. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? Have you seen our daily routines? With the supplementing, workout planning and eating schedules, we are all OCD! Lol
Sooooooo true. My roomates and friends tease me constantly. Im so OCD about my gym routine, food, clothes, injections, supps, you name it. Its actually funny

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sooooooo true. My roomates and friends tease me constantly. Im so OCD about my gym routine, food, clothes, injections, supps, you name it. Its actually funny
I'm not.

I take a more organic approach.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are 22 and if you are only out tearing it up 2-3 times a month, then that is some good self control right there. I know I was out 4-5 nights a week for many, many years. Are you going to be where you want to be physically, not a chance. Are you going to be having fun, meeting people, and getting things out of your system? Hell yeah. I say have some ****ing fun. You are going to release at some point and better to do it now and not wonder what it was all about in your 30s and then not be able to enjoy it the same.

btw-I am almost 39 and have lived a very "full" lifestyle.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

When I was young and immature, yes.
But now, no.