Post Hernia therapy advice (want to cycle win)

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Fist of I wanna give a shoutout to all the AM members and this website and its managers for the great information that could be found here on the news and advised by member. AM Rocks.

Here is some background to why I have spinal injuries.
I'm Kilo a fairly new member to AM. I am a professional Judo trainer and American Dog breed breeder (mostly American Bullies and AmStaffs). I've been practicing Judo for a little bit over 18 years(on and off), I've practiced Greco-Roman Wrestling for about 6 years, and lifting weights since the early teenage years.

In the end of 2011 I was at church praying, I remember bowing down and not being able to unbend my back. I thought that it might have been just some lower back pain, so I tried to treat myself with medical creams. Month and a half later the pain has increased tenfold and I cant do nothing. I went to the Doctor and explained myself and my situation and the doc wrote me up for a MRI asap.
I ended up getting 2 MRI's, one on the Lumbar section of my spine and one on the neck section of my spine. The MRI showed 3 Hernia's 4 protrusions.
6.6mm Hernia on L5-S1, 5mm Hernia on L4-L5, and a 3mm Hernia on C2-C3. and several protrusions on the cervical and lumbar area.
After this I practically couldnt do anything for a whole year.After becomming handicapped I went from 190lbs 14%bf to 245lbs over 25%bf.

Basically I ended up turning down surgery (eventhough I got top line military insurance the doc said that the paralyzation rates are 40%, and reoccurance 50$). After 42 days of hospitalization and therapy (in two 21 day incriments) I am back on my feet F**king things up. I still got the Hernia's and Protrusions, and they are still very dangerous. The only thing that changed after therapy is that the hernia's are not blocking my nervous canals. Thus I am experiencing far less pain. The pain could be described as a 800V shock that starts at the hip and travels throughout the leg into the toes. It can potentially take you off your feet...

The Doc recommended I come down to atleast 16% bf in order to stop experiencing nerve pain. Currently I am at the lower 20% on a strict diet (christian orthodox lent diet)with 3 cheat days a month.

About a month ago I finished my first cycle. It was a Oxandrolone + Clen cycle and truthfully I don't think I used it properly, just because I didnt reach the results I was expecting (like always when trying something for the first time), Although I did see some results. After extensive research on Anabilic steroids I have came to a conclusion that I would like to try a Winny + test cycle to lower bf% and possibly lose some extra lbs and strenghthen(MUST MUST MUST) the lumbar region of my spine.

At the moment I am:
204lbs 19-21%bf
6'0ft
Bench max: 260x3
Not allowed to Squat of Deadlift.

Please share some knowledge bro's it will be greatly appreciated. I am willing to try what ever sounds logical or natural, and I understand my ideas aren't neccissarily good.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, if you run test and winny be prepared for lower back pumps which may cause more discomfort for you since you have lower back issues already.

I say give albut a go and keep your clean diet. You could always try to cycle winny and test just supplement with a good amount of taurine to dodge those lower back pumps.

And you're lifting with a hernia, you are a crazy Russian bastard :D. I say take it easy and don't hurt yourself again. Cardio is a must. You may have to keep the lifting to a minimum.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Thanks man. I also have another dilemma, I was advised against sprinting/jogging because of the lack of suspention in my spine. Besides Stairs and Swimming nothing else comes to my mind for Cardio training that isnt heavy on the spinal cord. Anything come in mind>?
Would it be effective to run Winny alone? I've heard mixed feelings about running winny alone, but the positive feedback was better sounding than the negative obviously.
Also by pumps do you mean cramps? Elaborate please

Hahaha I cant live if I cant lift bro. I've been replacing many of my workouts though. I try to do **** that wont wreck my spine. + I wear a reinforced corset belt to the gym lol It has metal strips all throughout the back, f**king pro belt.

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
I was reading bout the Alphamine here on AM. Maybe I should try to throw off some weight and bf%. But would alphamine have positive or nagative effect on trying to gain strenghth in the lumbar region muscles???

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was reading bout the Alphamine here on AM. Maybe I should try to throw off some weight and bf%. But would alphamine have positive or nagative effect on trying to gain strenghth in the lumbar region muscles???
Alphamine has to be one of the best legal fat burners around. Great beta2 agonist and it just works. I used it on a lean bulk before and had some nice strength gains with it. With the lower back you really should start out with slow, light weight reps. To make sure you aren't going to toss your spine into spasm. I would work my way up from there. Muscle will be gained by a calorie surplus, obviously. However, when you are a higher BF%, the right diet, cardio and workout plan can take you to new heights. Alphamine will amplify the fat loss along with cardio. As long as you eat a small surplus, only 150-200 cals, and combine it with cardio you should see good results here.

5ft5andalive

Awards
how big was the hernia? are you never allowed to squat or deadlift?

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
how big was the hernia? are you never allowed to squat or deadlift?
6.6mm Hernia on L5-S1, 5mm Hernia on L4-L5, and a 3mm Hernia on C2-C3. and several protrusions on the cervical and lumbar area.
Yeah I was recommended to not squat or dead lift until these hernias completely dry out or shrink(if that ever happens). But I'm thinking that ill try deads and squats sometime around May.

5ft5andalive

Awards
Personally I would count yourself lucky if you don't get pelvic floor dysfunction down the road. I'd stay away from those 2 exercises for life if I were you, unless you plan on going on stage. There are many safer exercises that you can do to get similar results that are machine based. I'm probably about to get reemed for saying this and you're an *******, but I wouldn't want anyone to get persistent and long term pelvic pain. 6% oof men in the general public get pelvic pain and most don't know the cause. A hernia puts you at a subsrtantially higher risk. Physical therapy isn't a 100% fix for it either, you now have a defective body and that won't go away with time. You have an increased likely hood of hernias for the rest of your life.

oz_phys

oz_phys

Awards
Hey mate. Having multi-level lumbar disc protrusions will definitely warrant some form of modification when it comes to strength training, depending on the acuteness of the symptoms. In addition to pain (local to the back) do you have any neurological signs (pain to the legs past the knee, pins and needles, numbness etc)? - as these can be present when a nerve root has been impinged and needs to be monitored.

If they didn't address during therapy, I would highly recommend seeking some advice about retraining your deep spinal stabilisers (multifidis and transverse abdominis (TA)). These muscles are often inhibited/atrophied in the presence of chronic pain/inflammation, so improving your motor control and eventual strength/endurance with these smaller local muscles will help now and in the future.

In addition to retraining your deeper stabilisers, you should also promote flexibility through your gluteus/hamstrings/hip flexors - but only stretch as tolerated. Back squats/DLs should be avoided (for now!) and can be prgressed by your treating professional - substituted exercises could include a lunge/Bulgarian split-squat, where there is no further axial loading and your spine will stay in a relatively neutral position. Again, consciously activating your TA will help promote stability.

Good luck

KimChee75

KimChee75

Awards
I just saw your post on the other thread..when you say herniations you mean disc herniations and disc bulge, not hernias am I reading that correctly? If I am also reading correctly you also had shooting pains down your legs due to nerve compression/tension, that was resolved with ph
ysical therapy. You really need to avoid besides squats, and deadlifts, cleans, and any activities that will wear your discs out.

What we really want to avoid with a herniated disc, if further injury to the disc that will press the disc material past the posterior longitudinal ligament and into the spinal canal. Then you will definately need surgery.

I really don't know what they did in your pt sessions, usually extension exercises are used to "suck the disc material back in," while forward flexion exercises are avoided, in general. There are several TA exercises you can do TA activations, TA+bridge, TA+march, TA+extension these are all considered phase I, core stabs, prone pressups etc. We need to strengthen your back extensors, work on scapular stabilization, and proximal hip strength, you may also benefit from PNF movements: chops,lifts,

Kilo G

Kilo G

Awards
Thank you bro's for the valuable advice. I'd like to inform y'all that my hernia's have all shrunk by .1 to .3mm

I've been on a low fat low carb diet for 5 months already, I've been regularly visiting the gym and lifting, as well as swimming about 2 kilometers a day. I'm going in for another hospitalization mid next month for 21 days. Ill be having several non-surgical spinal procedures done. Some of which are, spine extensions, specialized medical massages, Dead Sea dirt (heated to 30* C), iodine and bromide hydro massage baths, oxygen cocktails, laser and magnet therapy, acupuncture (heated needles), electrocution... Etc.

Ill keep everybody updated on the progress of healing these spinal disc herniations.