Low Test (Male 32)

btale

Awards
Hello,

I am new here, but have lurked from time to time. Quick back story, I have been training for about 1.5 hours a day 6 days a week for the last 2 years. I have not made any progress in about the last year or so and was extremely frustrated. I am 6'3'' 230lbs (I have a decent amount of belly fat am lean almost everywhere else). I don't seem to be able to get below that weight even though my diet is near perfect. Also, I cant seem to improve my lifts much more than they are. My bench is 200 on 5 rep max and back squat is 225 on five rep max. A man of my size should be able to lift a lot more than that especially how hard I train. I finally went to get some blood work done during a physical and my suspicions were confirmed:

Testosterone, Total, LC/MS/MS 231 (Normal range is 250-1100 ng)
Free Testosterone 48.4 (Normal range is 35-155)

I go back to the doc on Friday, but he is just an internal medicine dr. What type of doc do I see and is there one anyone recommends in the NW Chicago suburbs? (Naperville/Aurora/Downers Grove)

Also, how can my Total test be so low and my free be considered normal?

As an athlete looking to make significant gains where should these levels be at? What would you all do if you were me?

I am dissapointed but honsestly a little relieved. I was about ready to just give up. Everyone I work out with progresses so much and I just stay at the same level.

btale

Awards
Follow-up

Hello,

Even though no one responded I thought I would follow up with an update. My primary care physician sent me to see a urologist. The urologist ordered a second round of tests. Here are the results:

Prolactin 8.8 (Normal is 2-18)
LH 2.1 (Normal is 1.5-9.3)
Testosterone, total 320 (Normal is 250-1100)
Free Testosterone is 67.8 (Normal is 35-155)

My testosterone level is considered normal on this second test, but isn't it still low for a 32 year old man who works out at least an hour a day?

Should I push for TRT? What are your thoughts? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
Do you feel like you need trt? Only you can answer that. If I were you I would look into it but that's just me, its a lifetime commitment. There prob some people in the anti aging forum who are your age and on trt

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 34 and on TRT. Level was at 348 when I started. Last bloods I was 704. Haven't felt this good since I was in my early twenties.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
Now that I think of it I have never seen a post from someone who started trt who stated they regret doing it.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
200's and 300's = impossible to gain appreciable amounts of muscle, and a tendency for accumulation of bodyfat, esp around the waistline and hips/lower chest. If you can get yourself to the 700's or 800's its like night and day, esp with the bodyfat reduction. If you can't get to those #'s using clomid or by addressing possible causes for the low T....then yeah, TRT is for you. I personally would not even consider it until 35, or better yet 40. Only since its a lifetime commitment and if your in your 20's or early 30's that would suck to have to do this for 30-40 years :D 20-25 is bad enough.....this is assuming once you get to your 60's you say "F it" and stop the trt....otherwise God knows how long you will be on it if you start early.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One shot a week for the rest of my life isn't nearly as daunting as the alternative.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
One shot a week for the rest of my life isn't nearly as daunting as the alternative.
This is true, its a minor nuisance. BUT if there were a way I could naturally get 800-900 and stay there? That would be a dream come true. I'd like to punch some of these guys in the face who have natural levels that high in their 30's and 40's :D No trt is better than trt

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yup, only a minor inconvenience. I agree that a natural T level of 800-900 would be amazing. If I could go the rest of my life without injecting every Thursday evening and FEEL like I do now, I would, and gladly. Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards for me. Oh well.
I've said it on here a couple of times, but the night I came home from my first trip to the pharmacy with a bag full of needles and a bottle of test, I kind of felt like a junkie. Hell, I'll rarely even take an Advil for a headache. I don't feel like a junkie anymore. It's amazing what just 100mg a week will do.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
Yup, only a minor inconvenience. I agree that a natural T level of 800-900 would be amazing. If I could go the rest of my life without injecting every Thursday evening and FEEL like I do now, I would, and gladly. Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards for me. Oh well.
I've said it on here a couple of times, but the night I came home from my first trip to the pharmacy with a bag full of needles and a bottle of test, I kind of felt like a junkie. Hell, I'll rarely even take an Advil for a headache. I don't feel like a junkie anymore. It's amazing what just 100mg a week will do.
I'm the same way. Don't want to take xanax or valium for my anxiety, Don't want to take ambien for sleep, don't want to take tylenols for my headaches, Don't want to stick needles into myself for ANY reason etc. etc. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Can't roll around with a migraine or a 250 test result. My insurance covers the expensive-ass androgel...So I've avoided the weekly injections and got to 700's and 800's, but I have been cycling deca in recently...so thats two jabs a week for my trouble :D I don't mind the weekly injections, but so long as my insurance charges me 6 bucks a month for androgel? I'll stay on it. If my insurance changes in the near future, I might have to switch out to injections.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
This is true, its a minor nuisance. BUT if there were a way I could naturally get 800-900 and stay there? That would be a dream come true. I'd like to punch some of these guys in the face who have natural levels that high in their 30's and 40's :D No trt is better than trt
Natural 800's in their 40's?...I didn't think that was possible without drugs of some sort

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm the same way. Don't want to take xanax or valium for my anxiety, Don't want to take ambien for sleep, don't want to take tylenols for my headaches, Don't want to stick needles into myself for ANY reason etc. etc. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Can't roll around with a migraine or a 250 test result. My insurance covers the expensive-ass androgel...So I've avoided the weekly injections and got to 700's and 800's, but I have been cycling deca in recently...so thats two jabs a week for my trouble :D I don't mind the weekly injections, but so long as my insurance charges me 6 bucks a month for androgel? I'll stay on it. If my insurance changes in the near future, I might have to switch out to injections.
I didn't want to do the gel and my doc thought it to be too messy and not very cost efficient. I'm lucky enough to where I don't pay a dime for my prescriptions.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Natural 800's in their 40's?...I didn't think that was possible without drugs of some sort
Nope. There are dudes on here in their late thirties with +800 levels, and they claim to be natural. I believe it's possible. There's gotta be a reason the scale is between 250-1197.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
lol....yeah this is why I want to strangle them :D there are a few guys in here that are in their 40's and have 800's and even 900's. not many obviously, but there are "some"....

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
I didn't want to do the gel and my doc thought it to be too messy and not very cost efficient. I'm lucky enough to where I don't pay a dime for my prescriptions.
It is messy and cost-prohibitive.....but I do like the idea of daily (twice daily the way I do it) application to keep super steady levels. also I can apply it where I'm "not supposed to" to get some DHT conversion which I also like. So there are lots of pluses to topical test, but also many drawbacks. Another plus is the fact that each dispenser has enough for 7 days at 10 pumps (not 8 pumps as advertised) so you can do 10 pumps easy per day. Sort of like how they give you extra test in your vials depending on your situation. Hell I end up with leftovers at 10 pumps per day....I could do 11 or 12 probably....

btale

Awards
Thank you for the input. How fast did you notice a difference?

I struggle with BF (only around the belly) and always reach this point where I can't lift anymore. It is like a plateau that I can never break through. I haven't increased my loads in over 6 months. It is infuriating.

The doc is recommending the Adrogel. Should I go with that if my insurance covers it.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
Thank you for the input. How fast did you notice a difference?

I struggle with BF (only around the belly) and always reach this point where I can't lift anymore. It is like a plateau that I can never break through. I haven't increased my loads in over 6 months. It is infuriating.

The doc is recommending the Adrogel. Should I go with that if my insurance covers it.
Hey if your insurance covers it? why not. Its a good way to get your feet wet into trt. 5g (4 pumps) got me to ~400, and 10g (8 pumps) to ~700. 10+ pumps now and I'm certain I'm in the 800's. They will want to start you out lowball at 5g probably and test in a few months to see where you're at...then bump to 7.5g or 10g which is usually the max they will prescribe. But you can go to 10 pumps easy which is 12.5g due to the 30 day script (28 days in 4 weeks :D) and the fact there is extra in the pump (big time) and also you can usually fill it after 24 days or so. Not bad, it will get you where you need to be...but its expensive and a PITA mess to apply daily. That being said? if you can get him to prescribe 100mg of test cyp per week? jump on it. That is the ultimate goal since gel everyday will get old quick :D

ikillsuckers

ikillsuckers

Awards
my father who is 47 just had his bloods tested and his total T was at 350, and his doctor is being stingy about trt.

i find that really unfortunate as its something he wants and both you guys are on the low end.

i would def push for it

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
my father who is 47 just had his bloods tested and his total T was at 350, and his doctor is being stingy about trt.

i find that really unfortunate as its something he wants and both you guys are on the low end.

i would def push for it
my dad, who is in his 60's which is pretty old :D, had a similar test score to mine....I was actually lower than he was. But the doc said since he is older, and androgel or injections can and will raise DHT (my dad has prostate issues, nothing serious), that he would not prescribe it. My dad wanted to feel better, mood etc....and I felt it would help him out. he also of course wanted to lose some fat around the waist (he's not that bad at all actually in that regard) and maybe tone up. I told him it would be fine for him and would work well in those problem areas, and he should force the doctors hand into giving him an Rx for it....then they can take bloods and watch his prostate/DHT #'s. Some docs are just bitches :D

btale

Awards
Thanks guys. The next Dr. appointment is today. Hopefully they will finally help me out. It sucks being exhausted by 5pm every day.

ExerciseorDie

ExerciseorDie

Awards
Thanks guys. The next Dr. appointment is today. Hopefully they will finally help me out. It sucks being exhausted by 5pm every day.
Let us know how it goes

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

btale

Awards
Went to the urologist and he had nothing to say other than refer me to an endocrinologist. I am getting really sick of this. This was the 6th appointment I have had on this issue since January. Does anyone have a doc in Illinois they can recommend?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went to the urologist and he had nothing to say other than refer me to an endocrinologist. I am getting really sick of this. This was the 6th appointment I have had on this issue since January. Does anyone have a doc in Illinois they can recommend?
You're on the right track. The endo is where you want to be.

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
You're on the right track. The endo is where you want to be.
hahaha....he was just about to give up at the "end of the rainbow" :D......But then again, he might have to see 6 endos to find one that knows WTF he is doing LOL..

btale

Awards
It is that bad huh?!? Appt with the Endo on Wednesday. Hopefully it will go better.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hahaha....he was just about to give up at the "end of the rainbow" :D......But then again, he might have to see 6 endos to find one that knows WTF he is doing LOL..
I've heard so many horror stories. I'm so thankful that my process was so smooth.
It is that bad huh?!? Appt with the Endo on Wednesday. Hopefully it will go better.
It could be that bad. I guess it depends on where you go. I got super lucky. Hopefully you do as well.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
Not trying to hijack thread, but I was wondering if there are any DIY hormone profile tests, or ones you can do yourself at home? I feel my test is on the lower range, and regardless would like to measure it in response to various diet protocol, supps, etc. so I can learn what kind if routine works best for me.

Not really feeling the 2-400$ doctor visit.
Thanks!

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to hijack thread, but I was wondering if there are any DIY hormone profile tests, or ones you can do yourself at home? I feel my test is on the lower range, and regardless would like to measure it in response to various diet protocol, supps, etc. so I can learn what kind if routine works best for me.

Not really feeling the 2-400$ doctor visit.
Thanks!
I've heard privatemdlabs is quick and cheap.

btale

Awards
The first Dr I went to was mad the urologist sent me to an endo to do yet another barrage of tests when they already know the answer. He is writing me a prescription for androgel. I went to the pharmacy and they wanted 435 bucks for one container. I hope my insurance will cover some of it.

The pharmacist said the dr. only prescribed me one pump and wanted me to verify that with him. He says the normal dosage is 4 pumps. When I looked at the bag it said 12.5mg and I think it was the 1%, but I am not sure on that. Does that seem right?

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The first Dr I went to was mad the urologist sent me to an endo to do yet another barrage of tests when they already know the answer. He is writing me a prescription for androgel. I went to the pharmacy and they wanted 435 bucks for one container. I hope my insurance will cover some of it.

The pharmacist said the dr. only prescribed me one pump and wanted me to verify that with him. He says the normal dosage is 4 pumps. When I looked at the bag it said 12.5mg and I think it was the 1%, but I am not sure on that. Does that seem right?
Test is $65 a vial at my pharmacy.
Edit:Safeway

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards

Had the same issue. Went to the pharmacy expecting 5g (2 pumps or 2 packets of 2.5g) and I got one box of 2.5g packets. Added it up in my head, OK this is way wrong since 5G is the starting dose and 10g is the max dose--4 pumps (most places that is). Got pissed, went back to the pharmacy..questioned them...they said it was what the prescription asked for. I asked her if this was "normal" (knowing it was not) and she said yeah we have plenty of guys on one packet (not buying that but she stuck to her story). Go back to the car, call the GP's right hand rx lady and ask WTF the problem is. I get the explanation that the first month is 2.5g to "assess tolerance", see if there are any side effects that preclude you from continuing the topical route, maybe skin irritation? not sure. So I say to myself, OK I have to shut myself down for a month at 2.5g which will not even get me back to 290 where I started THEN I can "graduate" to a whopping 5g that will get me to just above my starting point...and then wait a few more months to get on 10g which is where I know I need to be. I just grinned and "beared" it and went through the nonsense protocol. They should do one week max to assess tolerance/side effects, not a month. This isn't a game here shutting down peoples test lower than the initial low #.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
just wondering is that with a copay or without?
Without. I don't pay a dime with my insurance, but for S&G I asked the clerk what the price was for a vial (10ml/200mg cyp) and she said $65. She snickered when I told her UGLs ask way less.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stupid question here but do you all go to the doc once a week to get injections? Just wondering cause I've been thinking about TRT and my wife's a nurse, hoping she could pin me to keep from going to the doc once a week.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stupid question here but do you all go to the doc once a week to get injections? Just wondering cause I've been thinking about TRT and my wife's a nurse, hoping she could pin me to keep from going to the doc once a week.
I pin at home, once a week. Had to pin myself in front of my doc's assistant to get the take home prescription.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
Without. I don't pay a dime with my insurance, but for S&G I asked the clerk what the price was for a vial (10ml/200mg cyp) and she said $65. She snickered when I told her UGLs ask way less.
Hahaha, good info thanks

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hahaha, good info thanks
Word. I've heard upwards of $100 through family docs, but that's still significantly cheaper than gel if you're coming out of pocket for it. Even at 250 a week, a vial is good for roughly 8 weeks (depending on your accuracy). If I were coming out of pocket, I'd definitely go that route.

AdonisBelt

AdonisBelt

Awards
I've heard privatemdlabs is quick and cheap.
Credible enough to just take to a doc and just say something along the lines of:

"look, my test is ****, w2b androgel to rub on thighs and pins now plskthx."?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The thing is, you don't necessarily want to go on TRT if you haven't ruled out other variables first. Being on TRT myself and going through a long process to rule things out before committing, I will say that no doctor should be putting someone on test because of one low lab.

But, if you need it, I say dive in no matter what your age. The difference it will make is unreal and you'll wonder why you waited.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ok I've got another question. Do you need to take an AI while on TRT on either the gel or shots? Thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not if you get your protocol right. Many of us have moved to twice weekly injections at a lower dose and avoid any e2 issues.

btale

Awards
Mo' problems

Insurance company denied the prescription unless I go see an Endo. Appointment tomorrow. This is why healthcare is so messed up in the USA. All I want is to feel normal again.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Now that I think of it I have never seen a post from someone who started trt who stated they regret doing it.
No - but I HAVE seen many threads created by people on TRT who are trying to get off it.

btale

Awards
Just another update here - I had to get another test done because my most recent one was above 300 (it was 320) and my insurance company required 2 tests below 300. The third test put me at 145. Yikes.

I finally was able to pick up my prescription today my insurance covered all but $10 bucks. Here is to hoping I can feel normal again! Sorry to any guy that has to go through this process. What a pain in the ass.

btale

Awards
Yes. I finally got a prescription of 2 pumps of 1.62 Androgel. I have been on it for 4 days now and I feel much better already in the morning. I still seem to crash out around 5pm, but I hear it takes a few weeks to build all the way up in my system. I am getting bloodwork done in another 7 weeks to see what my levels have gone up too.

I hear conflicting reports on if the injections or Androgel is better (for DHT). What do you all think?

AnabolicHolic

AnabolicHolic

Banned
Awards
Yes. I finally got a prescription of 2 pumps of 1.62 Androgel. I have been on it for 4 days now and I feel much better already in the morning. I still seem to crash out around 5pm, but I hear it takes a few weeks to build all the way up in my system. I am getting bloodwork done in another 7 weeks to see what my levels have gone up too.

I hear conflicting reports on if the injections or Androgel is better (for DHT). What do you all think?
I apply half my pumps morning and half in the evening to keep the levels even more constant than topical alone vs injections. But def topical has more DHT conversion, esp if you apply it in certain areas (mostly in the groin area). So depends if you wanted or didn't want DHT conversion? You didn't specify.

btale

Awards
To be honest I am not sure. I am relatively new to this and trying to get caught up as quickly as possible. I hear some people say DHT is good and some say it is bad. It is confusing.

Would it be better to get the injections? I worry because I have a 18 month old baby that wants to be held when I get home from work. It is 6-8 hours after I apply but it still freaks me out.