DMSO vs other transdermal carriers

twerp

Awards
There are a ton of different carriers you can buy. Usually a little over 20 bucks for as little as a 4 oz bottle. My question is, are these more effective than DMSO? I know DMSO can be bought for pretty cheap. As low as around 8 bucks for a 4 oz bottle of 99.9% DMSO. Is DMSO less penetrating? Or are these other systems just better because they don't have the side effects like DMSO breath and whatnot?

I'm stockpiling powders and prefer the transdermal route...I'd just like to know why I should buy some "transport matrix" over DMSO.

Can anyone refer me to any studies on penetration efficiency or answer my questions?

Thanks in advance.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
My study indicates to me that DMSO is an effective enhancement ingredient , but not a substitute for the ingredients in the commercial dermal mixes. Each ingredient has a different reason for being there. I use a 30% DMSO and water mix to spray on the dermal application site about 10 minutes or so before applying the dermal to enhance absorbancy, and then again about an hour after application to carry in the dried dermal residue.

This I do with carriers without DMFA, with a DMFA carrier like T-gel, unfortuanetly too long unavaliable, this should not be necessary.

I've never noticed a bad breath/body odor problem from pure DMSO, and my wife, who would definetly say something about it, has not told me that I stink from this.

twerp

Awards
My study indicates to me that DMSO is an effective enhancement ingredient , but not a substitute for the ingredients in the commercial dermal mixes. Each ingredient has a different reason for being there. I use a 30% DMSO and water mix to spray on the dermal application site about 10 minutes or so before applying the dermal to enhance absorbancy, and then again about an hour after application to carry in the dried dermal residue.

This I do with carriers without DMFA, with a DMFA carrier like T-gel, unfortuanetly too long unavaliable, this should not be necessary.

I've never noticed a bad breath/body odor problem from pure DMSO, and my wife, who would definetly say something about it, has not told me that I stink from this.
Thanks, this is definitely helpful. I also found a post on transdermal recipes... Perhaps this post belongs better over there. Lastly, would it make more sense to up the DMSO concentration for better penetration or is it unnecesary?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm not certain what the optimum DMSO percentage is. I believe 10% or more has good effect. I do know that 100% DMSO is very irritating to the skin, combined with a skin irritant like 1T in a dermal it can get painfully sensitive in the area of ongoing application.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
First off DMSO should not be used as a carrier. It is an effective penetration enhancer and should be used 10 mins prior application of trans and 30 mins after to pull through residue. The link provide was for topical not transdermal carriers but most of the principles still apply. You could use dmso in the trans itself at a rate of upto 20%, 10% is probably sufficient. Old transdermal products used 40% even upto 80% but they were using dmso as the carrier. Isopropyl Alcohol is often used as a carrier or you can use carbomer 940/934 if you want a gel. I think there was another chemical to add to the carbomer to get the consistency you desire but I can't recall it at the moment.

As for other penetration enhancers you can use DMFA, oleic acid, and octyl salicylate. Some people confuse d-limonene as a PE but it's oil from citrus rinds and functions as a solvent and as a substitute for propylene glycol which is used to retain moisture in the skin. D-limonene may also have a citrus smell to mask the smell of lower quality dmso.