Permanent shutdown a myth?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Was doing some reading on this on another forum and it was interesting.

The theory was that the body can still recover even after being "on" for years at a time. The idea was that it just takes a very long time (as in possibly a year) but that the body DOES recover.

They went on to say that most people assume shutdown can be permanent because when coming off they feel like sh*t for months on end, lose all their gains, and just basically say "F it I'm never going to recover".

SPS

Awards
  • Established
Time heals all wounds right? I don't know if any studies have been done but imo I would think your body.would start to produce something even if you became permantely low

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

The theory was that the body can still recover even after being "on" for years at a time. The idea was that it just takes a very long time (as in possibly a year) but that the body DOES recover.

They went on to say that most people assume shutdown can be permanent because when coming off they feel like sh*t for months on end, lose all their gains, and just basically say "F it I'm never going to recover".
Not sure, I think with casual cycling it's certainly a myth. In most cases the body spontaneously recovers upon AAS discontinuation.

Being on for years is another topic, and I'm sure there have been cases of permanent AAS induced hypogonadism.

Keepitreel

Keepitreel

Awards
what about that new drug thats like the ultimate PCT, I forget the name haha

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I know a guy that competes and has been using for years. He was my first AAS source. When I asked him for PCT drugs he was confused and didn't know what pct was. I elaborated and he was like oh yeah I've never needed it. I just come off and always been fine except after winny he says it takes longer to get his sex drive back. Guess he's lucky. I don't believe in luck so I PCT

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I know a guy that competes and has been using for years. He was my first AAS source. When I asked him for PCT drugs he was confused and didn't know what pct was. I elaborated and he was like oh yeah I've never needed it. I just come off and always been fine except after winny he says it takes longer to get his sex drive back. Guess he's lucky. I don't believe in luck so I PCT
I thought I read in another thread you cruise?

Stupes

Arnold is knocking up old maids and he is in his 60's after decades of heavy steroid use.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
No wasn't me. I am considering a longer low dose cycle but wouldn't really call it a cruise.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
your body never completely stops producing the hormones required to stimulate testosterone production.

lh production becomes so little, the testicles become de sensitized to the effects.

whether long term desensitization is reversible with drugs like serms + hcg is another story. I'm a little fuzzy on the data, but it's out there.

jakethemus

Awards
I used steroids for about 10 years , i did cycle them and do pct for a while but then i went on non stop for about 2-3 years. Tried pct after that and it wasnt working in the end I just went off everthing completely. Went through a rough couple of years with low test but I have recovered and have a test level over 500 now which is reasonable considering (im 33)

SPS

Awards
  • Established
I used steroids for about 10 years , i did cycle them and do pct for a while but then i went on non stop for about 2-3 years. Tried pct after that and it wasnt working in the end I just went off everthing completely. Went through a rough couple of years with low test but I have recovered and have a test level over 500 now which is reasonable considering (im 33)
You joined 10 years ago and you have 9 posts, damn and I thought I hardly posted. So the couple years you stopped taking aas did you keep lifting? Keep any gains at all?

jakethemus

Awards
Lol yea i've been a long term lurker on here although active on other forums. Used to post on Elitefitness back in the days when it was free.

When I stopped the aas I continued to lift occasionally, but I changed my focus to martial arts and cardio. I lost a fair bit of mass/strength because of that. I'm back lifting seriously now though and weights are roughly about 25% down on what they were when I was using steroids and getting heavier each workout. My diet and training are much improved these days which helps.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
complete shut down is a myth, the body will not shut down 100%. Even with heavy and/or long term AAS use your production will be very low (example: .000000001). The longer you're "on" the longer it will take to recover.

SPS

Awards
  • Established
complete shut down is a myth, the body will not shut down 100%. Even with heavy and/or long term AAS use your production will be very low (example: .000000001). The longer you're "on" the longer it will take to recover.
I don't know if there is any evidence, but my question would be, does running a handful of cycles lower your natural test? If you ran 10 cycles between the ages of 25 and 30. And your test went from 700 to 600, do you think that would be caused by the aas or just cause you got older? Those numbers aren't mine or anything I just wonder, I know my test levels are lower than when I was 21, I just wish I knew how much is cause of anabolics and how much is I am 7 years older

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know if there is any evidence, but my question would be, does running a handful of cycles lower your natural test? If you ran 10 cycles between the ages of 25 and 30. And your test went from 700 to 600, do you think that would be caused by the aas or just cause you got older? Those numbers aren't mine or anything I just wonder, I know my test levels are lower than when I was 21, I just wish I knew how much is cause of anabolics and how much is I am 7 years older
there are a lot of variables to consider and it will vary from person to person. hormone production drops as we age, repeated exogenous hormone use will lower natural production, but over time natural production will return. to what level it will return to will be determined by the individual. There's no one size fits all answer here.