Syringe graduations.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Do the markings take into account the volume of the needle and hub itself?

I know it's a small amount, but was wondering.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not that I'm aware of...
I always pull exactly how much I need, then pull back to catch the little bit in the pin.
Reason the syringe probably doesn't account for needle volume is there are way too many gauges and lengths for it to be accurate.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
The syringe does not account for needle size but it is a rather small error.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found the following for your information. Hopefully it will help you. It is not my answer but I think it's a decent one.

Hello, I am a Registered Nurse and we use syringes to give precise doses of medications to our patients. The manufacturers of syringes have taken into account the amount in the needle as part of the measurement in small syringes (like the tuberculin you are using.) If you have a removable needle that did NOT come with the syringe, then it is usually removed prior to dosing a patient as we use blunt needles to draw from a vial and measure, then put on the appropriate needle if we are giving a shot or just into the IV as a needleless system.

So, if the needle + syringe is one unit, it measures what is in the needle. If you add a needle, the amount is not measured.

I hope this helps.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
I found the following for your information. Hopefully it will help you. It is not my answer but I think it's a decent one.

Hello, I am a Registered Nurse and we use syringes to give precise doses of medications to our patients. The manufacturers of syringes have taken into account the amount in the needle as part of the measurement in small syringes (like the tuberculin you are using.) If you have a removable needle that did NOT come with the syringe, then it is usually removed prior to dosing a patient as we use blunt needles to draw from a vial and measure, then put on the appropriate needle if we are giving a shot or just into the IV as a needleless system.

So, if the needle + syringe is one unit, it measures what is in the needle. If you add a needle, the amount is not measured.

I hope this helps.
I forgot to mention that my comment was assuming it was a syringe with a removable needle.