Metformin

florida2001

Awards
Hi,

anybody has experience with metformin? I was put on it by the doctor due to sugar elevation. What dosage is sufficient for dropping weight? I also missed period this month- no pregn. Is it normal? Im on 1000mg.

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established
The weight loss from metformin isn't instant, it might take a few months to really notice a difference. With that said, you could try increasing it to 2000-2500mg but you should do it gradually as jumping that high immediately can be pretty rough.

I know women use metformin to help fertility issues. High blood sugar can cause high insulin which causes stimulation of the ovaries to produce too much testosterone which leads to low estrogen and progesterone, which causes infrequent periods and no egg growth... aka infertility. Metformin increases insulin sensitivity and reduces blood sugar, which then allows your body to get fertile again.

Can it cause a missed period? Maybe... but usually it helps women get their period.

florida2001

Awards
thx , you explained it well. I have been struggeling with hormonal imbalance for so long. Acne, irregul period, weigh changes. now, since im on Metformin my acne has improved. meybe my body needs time to adjust so thats why missed period. will give it time.