Please read this and hate the media with me

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Steroids are used to give a muscular physique
Using steroids to build bulging muscles can also trigger "catastrophic" loss of brain cells, research suggests.
The drugs are known to raise levels of the male sex hormone testosterone.

A study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry by Yale School of Medicine found high levels of the hormone killed off nerve cells.

The researchers believe the effect might explain why some steroid users become aggressive and suicidal - a condition known as hyperexcitability.

[Steroids] are known to have a major negative effect on people's health
John Brewer
The condition is well known in the bodybuilding world, where it is referred to as roid rage.

Lead researcher Professor Barbara Ehrlich said: "Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad, just take a deep breath and realise that it might not be his fault."

The Yale team exposed cultured nerve cells to testosterone, and found that it triggered programmed cell death (apoptosis).

This is a natural process that in normal circumstances plays a key role in clearing away damaged cells which might be harmful.

However, when healthy cells also become suicidal, it can cause severe problems, and has been implicated in neurological illnesses, such as Alzheimer's and Huntingdon's disease.

Apoptosis is characterised by membrane instability, DNA fragmentation, and the activation of "executioner proteins", known as caspases.

Aggressive hamsters

A recent US study published in the journal Behavioural Neuroscience found normally placid adolescent hamsters given anabolic steroids become incredibly aggressive.

The effects lasted almost two weeks - the equivalent of half their adolescence.

Post-mortems revealed changes in the hamsters' brain activity.

Dr Richard Melloni, who led the research at Northeastern University in Boston, said it was likely the findings applied to humans.

John Brewer, director of the Lucozade Sports Science Academy, said the findings were not surprising.

"People think steroids are banned because they are performance enhancing, but the second, equally important, reason is that they are known to have a major negative effect on people's health.

"This study provides further evidence for why we should never give in to people who want to use steroids and drugs in sport. The moment we do that we will have a major hit on the health services, as use will cascade down the pyramid of sports."

Uhhh anyone's opinion on this bullsh1t published on BBC's website?

Roid rage and dead brains is a real thing I "guess" Damn hamsters

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Steroids are used to give a muscular physique
Using steroids to build bulging muscles can also trigger "catastrophic" loss of brain cells, research suggests.
The drugs are known to raise levels of the male sex hormone testosterone.

A study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry by Yale School of Medicine found high levels of the hormone killed off nerve cells.

The researchers believe the effect might explain why some steroid users become aggressive and suicidal - a condition known as hyperexcitability.

[Steroids] are known to have a major negative effect on people's health
John Brewer
The condition is well known in the bodybuilding world, where it is referred to as roid rage.

Lead researcher Professor Barbara Ehrlich said: "Next time a muscle-bound guy in a sports car cuts you off on the highway, don't get mad, just take a deep breath and realise that it might not be his fault."

The Yale team exposed cultured nerve cells to testosterone, and found that it triggered programmed cell death (apoptosis).

This is a natural process that in normal circumstances plays a key role in clearing away damaged cells which might be harmful.

However, when healthy cells also become suicidal, it can cause severe problems, and has been implicated in neurological illnesses, such as Alzheimer's and Huntingdon's disease.

Apoptosis is characterised by membrane instability, DNA fragmentation, and the activation of "executioner proteins", known as caspases.

Aggressive hamsters

A recent US study published in the journal Behavioural Neuroscience found normally placid adolescent hamsters given anabolic steroids become incredibly aggressive.

The effects lasted almost two weeks - the equivalent of half their adolescence.

Post-mortems revealed changes in the hamsters' brain activity.

Dr Richard Melloni, who led the research at Northeastern University in Boston, said it was likely the findings applied to humans.

John Brewer, director of the Lucozade Sports Science Academy, said the findings were not surprising.

"People think steroids are banned because they are performance enhancing, but the second, equally important, reason is that they are known to have a major negative effect on people's health.

"This study provides further evidence for why we should never give in to people who want to use steroids and drugs in sport. The moment we do that we will have a major hit on the health services, as use will cascade down the pyramid of sports."

Uhhh anyone's opinion on this bullsh1t published on BBC's website?

Roid rage and dead brains is a real thing I "guess" Damn hamsters
Everyone knows hamsters are the perfect human analogue. If it happens in hamsters, it most likely happens in humans. I mean my wife just gave birth to a swarming brood of 12 but we ate half of them.

Oh wait, this is complete bulls**t

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Everyone knows hamsters are the perfect human analogue. If it happens in hamsters, it most likely happens in humans. I mean my wife just gave birth to a swarming brood of 12 but we ate half of them.

Right? Can't believe I read this.... I'm sure if you shot up a hamster with test it would run around more... They are animals of lower thought. Usually when I inject I don't immediately do 10,000 sprints.. Arg they give us all a bad name

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right? Can't believe I read this.... I'm sure if you shot up a hamster with test it would run around more... They are animals of lower thought. Usually when I inject I don't immediately do 10,000 sprints.. Arg they give us all a bad name
Lol, everyone needs a boogyman.

steppinRazor

Awards

****ing classic

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
t. would like a link to article so i can read the studies referenced.

more research is def needed, but sounds legit to me, and should not be blown off.

androgenic/anabolic hormones are dangerous.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Basically, everyone you see who looks like they work out has roid rage and it's not their fault they're angry because steroids are the culprit. Got it. :)

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Basically, everyone you see who looks like they work out has roid rage and it's not their fault they're angry because steroids are the culprit. Got it. :)
Exactly, I saw a girl who looked in shape pass me while driving... I assumed roids because of this article

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Exactly, I saw a girl who looked in shape pass me while driving... I assumed roids because of this article
Roids bro, gotta be them roids.

demolition

demolition

Awards
You guys don't get it, read the article again.... We can cut people off and they won't get mad at us because its not our fault. Gotta look at the whole picture fellas, this is great news!

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys don't get it, read the article again.... We can cut people off and they won't get mad at us because its not our fault. Gotta look at the whole picture fellas, this is great news!
Way to bring the positivity

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I'm cuttin' errybody off now.

R.D.

Awards
Don't sweat this bs, I am by no means an expert but, AAS have been around for a while and if it was detrimental to brain cells we would know by now. 2nd they were juicing adolescent hamsters, yes we know sex hormones effect the brain when it is still developing (eg. Puberty.) I can't find the actual study but I am sure that they were dosing the hammys extremely high of course they will be aggressive. Take two males of any species jack up their Test and keep them caged together, you don't have to be a m.d. to figure out what will happen.