Why do people always say steroids "raise your test levels"???

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
Unless of course the steroid being used is testosterone, wouldn't any other compound result in a reduction of test levels???

For example I was reading about olympic drug testing and how they apparently make sure your test levels aren't too high.

But let's say the steroid being used was stanazolol, wouldn't test levels actually drop?

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
I've always wondered this myself, interested to see responses

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
I'm not sure either but I'm wondering if it's the Testosterone to Epitestosterone levels that I hear so many athletes getting busted for.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I'm not sure either but I'm wondering if it's the Testosterone to Epitestosterone levels that I hear so many athletes getting busted for.
if its testosterone, they test for the ratio....if its winstrol they would get a hit on stanazolol, if they are using a diuretic then that would pop on a test so on and so forth. the raised test levels or test ratio imbalance would be the result of using exogenous test.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
this is why there is a big hoopla for testing for GH in sports....it is difficult to test for, so is testosterone, since GH and test are naturally present in our bodies...so they use the ratio for testpsterone....I think they have a blood test finally for GH? but I'm not sure how....seems impossible to test for GH if you think about it. Its present naturally in the body, and is there even anything to compare it with/contrast it with for an imbalance???

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would be surprised if they could test for GH.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I would be surprised if they could test for GH.
I agree, but they say they can. Its a blood test, but still....how? it seems funny how that in every sports league or organization that employs testing for GH, nobody every seems to get busted for it (leads you to believe it is ineffective)...and those that do get busted? pretty much ask the same question, how did you come to this conclusion? I know in the MLB there has been a big ruckus about it, but mainly they are centering their argument around taking blood/taking too much blood and interfering with athletic performance.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they are meaning androgen levels.

they test to make sure androgen levels aren't too high. whether it's testosterone, or a metabolite of some other modified androgen.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
as far as I know....they have a list of banned substances and they test for all of them....whether it be lasix, or ephedrine, or AAS such as winstrol or deca....the ratio of epi/test is used specifically for "elevated testosterone levels" as they report it. For example ben johnson got busted for winny, so they announced he got busted for winny. some of these MLB guys lately got busted for "elevated test levels". otherwise they either specify or don't specify the drug the athlete was busted for if it was not elevated testosterone levels.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In order to test for GH --- the athlete would have to be dumb enough to inject it close to competition to elevate blood levels substantially.

The drug testing is so extensive now that pretty much everything is tested for --- even the intermediate androgens in AndroSeries products could be failing drug tests as the androstenediol (diones) will test positive.

I do not believe they are able to detect 11-adrenosterone yet....

-Matt

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
In order to test for GH --- the athlete would have to be dumb enough to inject it close to competition to elevate blood levels substantially.

The drug testing is so extensive now that pretty much everything is tested for --- even the intermediate androgens in AndroSeries products could be failing drug tests as the androstenediol (diones) will test positive.

I do not believe they are able to detect 11-adrenosterone yet....

-Matt
I would figure that in order to detect greater than normal GH levels, you would have to test on the day of or day after injecting, or close enough to the injection....but I suppose if they are surprise testing? then it could be a legit way to test....if they are testing on "such and such day"? then the athlete could easily just discontinue the GH weeks prior to the testing date as you alluded to in your post. I would think you could appeal and say you just had a GH spike :D....now a test spike of like 1000mg would be hard to explain LOL...

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
I would figure that in order to detect greater than normal GH levels, you would have to test on the day of or day after injecting, or close enough to the injection....but I suppose if they are surprise testing? then it could be a legit way to test....if they are testing on "such and such day"? then the athlete could easily just discontinue the GH weeks prior to the testing date as you alluded to in your post. I would think you could appeal and say you just had a GH spike :D....now a test spike of like 1000mg would be hard to explain LOL...
Most injections of GH cause spikes and is the reason that people inject 2-3 times daily. The spikes tend not to last incredibly long so the test would have to be very close to the injection time. The exception would be GH 1295 w/ Dac which would be much easier to catch as it causes a "GH bleed" or sustained increase in GH levels.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the main answer? because people are stupid and believe whatever crap some idiot with a nice suit + haircut tells them on the tv news.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
the main answer? because people are stupid and believe whatever crap some idiot with a nice suit + haircut tells them on the tv news.
Haha quoted for truth! We the shee-ple!

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Most injections of GH cause spikes and is the reason that people inject 2-3 times daily. The spikes tend not to last incredibly long so the test would have to be very close to the injection time. The exception would be GH 1295 w/ Dac which would be much easier to catch as it causes a "GH bleed" or sustained increase in GH levels.

True -- Gh serum will peak around 2.5 hours after injection IM

Then again -- GH without aas is nothing extremely special when you consider the high price tag for the return

-Matt