Reclaiming tainted Fina

goa1175

Awards
Ok, so my buddy's Fina conversion ended up tainted and caused infection. (Thanks to those that helped on that issue). It's cleared up now thanks to antibiotics.
Now, what can be done with the leftover Fina? He's thinking of baking, 20min at 220, followed by addition of 2-3cc of b.a.
Does that sound about right to kill whatever's caused the infection?

dego

Awards
filter it through a .22 since it is know to have caused an abscess

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
if he's going to still use it, I would bake it for 40 min at 255 or maybe even 275, then put in the frig, then bake again, then frig again...add a mL or two of BA and filter once again...
then go through another couple cycles of bake/frig

dego

Awards
if he's going to still use it, I would bake it for 40 min at 255 or maybe even 275, then put in the frig, then bake again, then frig again...add a mL or two of BA and filter once again...
then go through another couple cycles of bake/frig
Hehe overkill is never enough...I'm with you but I already heat mine to 250 each time before an injection.

keith1569

Awards
dego, how long does it take it to cool down enough before u can inject it?

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
Hehe overkill is never enough...I'm with you but I already heat mine to 250 each time before an injection.
yeah, it might be overkill, but I can't imagine an abscess is a fun experience, and if you get another abscess from the same vial, it's a good bet people are going to consider you a bit on the slow side

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
I would throw it in the frig for 5-10min (just a guess, if someone gave me some data points, I could use newton's law of cooling to tell you approx how long it will take to get to a certain temp) and then see for yourself how hot it is. Remember, it's the hot/cold process that kills the bacteria. You could always draw the oil, then run the syringe under cold water...that would cool the oil down real quickly

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
heat shock, filter, add BA, filter again, heat shock again

finally PIN!

Null

Awards
Can someone post some study that shows that baking gear will kill the bacteria? I have always heard that baking gear is uneeded and the BA is what sterilizes the gear.

dego

Awards
I've never really checked, i just go about my routine and check if the vial is cool enough to handle. I'm impatient so I draw while its still hot enough to burn if you aren't careful, but it seems to cool off much quicker in the syringe. I have also done every other vial if I'm in a hurry, ie heat the fina and not the 4AD and visa versa the next time so each is still being sterilized. I wont inject until the syringe is only warm to the touch as I have inject before and am fairly certain I burned my self from the inside out.... weird and painful experience.

Can someone post some study that shows that baking gear will kill the bacteria? I have always heard that baking gear is uneeded and the BA is what sterilizes the gear.
Adding Ba isn't always enough to sterilize gear I've seen several people get abscesses relying on BA only (no filtering or heating)

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
You could try and do what I do and that is make friends with someone at dental clinic or tattoo parlor and have them run it through a liquid cycle in the autoclave.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
filter it through a .22 since it is know to have caused an abscess
This is what is needed. just because you sterilize gear by baking DOES NOT mean that it will not cause an abscess. Particlates are more likely to cause one then the actualy bacteria. BAKING does not replace sterile filtering. And if you overbake the fina your going to have other problems anyway. Filtering and then BA to perserve sterility is all you should need.

If your going to bake it then try and keep the heat to a min and also try and pull a vacum in the vial with a syringe as this will help keep the oxadation down to a min.

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
It's the body's response to the foreign particle which causes the abscess, eh Skye?

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
It's the body's response to the foreign particle which causes the abscess, eh Skye?
its a major cause, don't get me wrong the bacteria is recomended ether. another is the skin itself. the alcohol pads everone uses will not make the skin sterile (not in the amount of time most people use it for), just clean. If you want some interestimg reading (warning, this is what made me paranoid) about hospital staff infections. There has even been a case of the actually idione soap being the contaminate (I think that was in a SA articale about biofilms.