1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.57%

Question Eating right

Hi all,

On cycle now and have a good background in nutrition and food quality.

The issue is that I have 5 kids in a busy house and the family doesn't exactly eat bodybuilder food. I'm doing ok with with proper protein supplementation, but my carb management is the pits, and I am not as lean as I want to be.

Do any of you have similar struggles, and could I ask for a some advice on how to get a handle on this.

Thanks,

David

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.22%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Costco
    Lot of basic bulk stuff is cheap

Avoid prepared foods.
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.22%

And get the food saver, u can spend one day cooking for the week
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.57%

Hi

Been a while since I been here but thank you very much for commenting.

David
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.14%

I have similar issues with food. I just ask the wife to cook me something separate from what she and the little critter eat. Or I cook and do it myself. You can always choose not to eat what they're eating and sub some raw veggies in there instead of carbs.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.03%

I'm confused. Since when is fat gain the carbohydrate's fault?
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Ask me about Reload. Free SNS for your labels
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

1. Don't blame the wife and kids.
    2. Make your breakfast, lunch, and snacks as clean as possible. (You have 100% control of this anyway)
    3. Take a more active approach with the wife in planning and cooking dinner. Nix the lasagna, hot dogs, burgers, chicken fried steaks, etc, and go for lean chicken and fish, veggies, and low glycemic carbs like sweet potatoes and brown rice.

The one thing you have to do is make sure that she knows you aren't knocking her cooking, and that it's just because you want to lose some fat and get a bit healthier. She should be ok with that.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.59%

My issue is that my wife is an excellent cook and she doesnt like some of the staples in my diet ( tilapia, brown rice, asparagus, avocado, steak). What i tend to do is eat what i can of her cooking and then fill in with pre prepared food that only i eat, or one of the kids want to eat with me. Offer the healthier menu to the kids also and you will be surprised which one will want to eat healthy with dad...
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.49%

Quote Originally Posted by interview11 View Post
    Hi all,

On cycle now and have a good background in nutrition and food quality.

The issue is that I have 5 kids in a busy house and the family doesn't exactly eat bodybuilder food. I'm doing ok with with proper protein supplementation, but my carb management is the pits, and I am not as lean as I want to be.

Do any of you have similar struggles, and could I ask for a some advice on how to get a handle on this.

Thanks,

David
    Very simply solution here --

First off, you MUST have the Wife understand you are serious about your goals, and you will need groceries for what you are trying to accomplish.

She MUST BE COOL WITH THIS or life will not be good -- Once you have the foods at your leisure -- it is now on YOUR A$$ to cook them and make them accessible to yourself throughout the week.

If the Wife agrees to make your meals --GOOD, if not, don;t be lazy and start preparing.

Carbs are fine, fats are fine --- just buy the right kind. Do not eat junk that is a combination of sugar and saturated fats etc,.... common sense goes a long ways.

-Matt
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.03%

Quote Originally Posted by smithouse View Post
    My issue is that my wife is an excellent cook and she doesnt like some of the staples in my diet ( tilapia, brown rice, asparagus, avocado, steak). What i tend to do is eat what i can of her cooking and then fill in with pre prepared food that only i eat, or one of the kids want to eat with me. Offer the healthier menu to the kids also and you will be surprised which one will want to eat healthy with dad...

She doesn't like that you eat tilapia and steak and avacados and assorted veggies and rice? Wut? So she doesn't like nutrient dense foods that provide amazing macro and micronutrients? That does not compute. No offense, but she's not that excellent of a cook if she frowns on foods like that.

Either she supports you and your goals, or she is hindering them. That's the reality of the situation.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Ask me about Reload. Free SNS for your labels
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.59%

She supports me eating these foods but she doesnt like them for herself. She will buy them for me when she goes shopping but i have to prepare them usually. She eats chicken, vegetables, Italian style food, mexican style food and southern style food. Its great but doesnt always fit into my eating plan.
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.49%

ok, big deal, just cook everything yourself. I prefer to do it myself anyways as I trust myself and like to KNOW EXACTLY what is put into my foods.

My Wife eats whatever she wants -- pizza, sushi, desserts, just not a fan of clean food...but she can get by with eating like this lol....

She envies my discipline.

-Matt
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I eat a ton of carbs, but they don't have to be bad. I eat a lot of oats and rice, but I don't feel like that's a bad thing. I also don't prescribe to the 60/20/20 rule, I think there are many different diets that can work for people. There is no "golden rule", it's whatever works well for you.
    "Lifting and Game of Thrones share the same calendar, there's only two seasons: cutting and bulking. And guess what? Winter's comin' so it's time to bulk up!"
    -Dom Mazzetti

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Book eating right for your type
    By Distilled Water in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM
  3. Is nutritional supplementation superior to "eating right?"
    By the Cardinal in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 12:42 AM