Eating right

interview11

Awards
Hi all,

On cycle now and have a good background in nutrition and food quality.

The issue is that I have 5 kids in a busy house and the family doesn't exactly eat bodybuilder food. I'm doing ok with with proper protein supplementation, but my carb management is the pits, and I am not as lean as I want to be.

Do any of you have similar struggles, and could I ask for a some advice on how to get a handle on this.

Thanks,

David

murk01

murk01

Awards
Costco
Lot of basic bulk stuff is cheap

Avoid prepared foods.

murk01

murk01

Awards
And get the food saver, u can spend one day cooking for the week

interview11

Awards
Hi

Been a while since I been here but thank you very much for commenting.

David

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
I have similar issues with food. I just ask the wife to cook me something separate from what she and the little critter eat. Or I cook and do it myself. You can always choose not to eat what they're eating and sub some raw veggies in there instead of carbs.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm confused. Since when is fat gain the carbohydrate's fault?

ripped_one

Awards
  • Established
1. Don't blame the wife and kids.
2. Make your breakfast, lunch, and snacks as clean as possible. (You have 100% control of this anyway)
3. Take a more active approach with the wife in planning and cooking dinner. Nix the lasagna, hot dogs, burgers, chicken fried steaks, etc, and go for lean chicken and fish, veggies, and low glycemic carbs like sweet potatoes and brown rice.

The one thing you have to do is make sure that she knows you aren't knocking her cooking, and that it's just because you want to lose some fat and get a bit healthier. She should be ok with that.

smithouse

smithouse

Awards
My issue is that my wife is an excellent cook and she doesnt like some of the staples in my diet ( tilapia, brown rice, asparagus, avocado, steak). What i tend to do is eat what i can of her cooking and then fill in with pre prepared food that only i eat, or one of the kids want to eat with me. Offer the healthier menu to the kids also and you will be surprised which one will want to eat healthy with dad...

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

On cycle now and have a good background in nutrition and food quality.

The issue is that I have 5 kids in a busy house and the family doesn't exactly eat bodybuilder food. I'm doing ok with with proper protein supplementation, but my carb management is the pits, and I am not as lean as I want to be.

Do any of you have similar struggles, and could I ask for a some advice on how to get a handle on this.

Thanks,

David
Very simply solution here --

First off, you MUST have the Wife understand you are serious about your goals, and you will need groceries for what you are trying to accomplish.

She MUST BE COOL WITH THIS or life will not be good -- Once you have the foods at your leisure -- it is now on YOUR A$$ to cook them and make them accessible to yourself throughout the week.

If the Wife agrees to make your meals --GOOD, if not, don;t be lazy and start preparing.

Carbs are fine, fats are fine --- just buy the right kind. Do not eat junk that is a combination of sugar and saturated fats etc,.... common sense goes a long ways.

-Matt

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My issue is that my wife is an excellent cook and she doesnt like some of the staples in my diet ( tilapia, brown rice, asparagus, avocado, steak). What i tend to do is eat what i can of her cooking and then fill in with pre prepared food that only i eat, or one of the kids want to eat with me. Offer the healthier menu to the kids also and you will be surprised which one will want to eat healthy with dad...

She doesn't like that you eat tilapia and steak and avacados and assorted veggies and rice? Wut? So she doesn't like nutrient dense foods that provide amazing macro and micronutrients? That does not compute. No offense, but she's not that excellent of a cook if she frowns on foods like that.

Either she supports you and your goals, or she is hindering them. That's the reality of the situation.

smithouse

smithouse

Awards
She supports me eating these foods but she doesnt like them for herself. She will buy them for me when she goes shopping but i have to prepare them usually. She eats chicken, vegetables, Italian style food, mexican style food and southern style food. Its great but doesnt always fit into my eating plan.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok, big deal, just cook everything yourself. I prefer to do it myself anyways as I trust myself and like to KNOW EXACTLY what is put into my foods.

My Wife eats whatever she wants -- pizza, sushi, desserts, just not a fan of clean food...but she can get by with eating like this lol....

She envies my discipline.

-Matt

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I eat a ton of carbs, but they don't have to be bad. I eat a lot of oats and rice, but I don't feel like that's a bad thing. I also don't prescribe to the 60/20/20 rule, I think there are many different diets that can work for people. There is no "golden rule", it's whatever works well for you.