Can muscles be overworked on steroids?

superswole23

Awards
I always hear people say not to overtrain muscles so they don't become over worked and stopp growing. Can muscles be overworked if using steroids?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes but it takes a lot more while on cycle then Opposed to when your off cycle...some guys do two a days while on cycle and still hardly get DOMs

Jbranken

Jbranken

Banned
Awards
The same as being 'off' gear, listen to your body. I hit each group every 3-4 days when I'm on but you might feel more comfortable waiting another day or doing 2-3 days per group

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Muscles can get overworked on sterons. But the biggest issue is your tendons and ligaments. The muscles grow much faster than everything else, and it's easy to injure yourself.

ReyMan

ReyMan

Awards
When on cycle I've never felt like I overtrain. I even cram my 4 day routine into a 2 day routine.
Make sure you get dat dere protein and sleep

superswole23

Awards
Thanks guys! I weigh 170ish so should I shoot for 250g protein a day sound good?

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Overtraining isn't always bad anyway, purposeful overtraining is actually a method of working out. A good one IMO, but it can beat the living crap out of your joints.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overtraining isn't always bad anyway, purposeful overtraining is actually a method of working out. A good one IMO, but it can beat the living crap out of your joints.
Overreaching and overtraining are not the same thing.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Overreaching and overtraining are not the same thing.
Talks a little bit about purposeful overtraining in this: http://www.neuro-vision.us/ad/Article/Dangers-of-Over-Training-in-Body-Building/9985

It can be hard to find info on but there is something called a "shock micro cycle" and one way of doing that type of short cycle is overtraining on purpose for one week(a micro cycle is a 1-7 days).

Also overtraining was commonly done on purpose by oldschool bodybuilders, and probably still by bodybuilders today.

Another, maybe better, source: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/old-school-high-1371/

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Talks a little bit about purposeful overtraining in this: http://www.neuro-vision.us/ad/Article/Dangers-of-Over-Training-in-Body-Building/9985

It can be hard to find info on but there is something called a "shock micro cycle" and one way of doing that type of short cycle is overtraining on purpose for one week(a micro cycle is a 1-7 days).

Also overtraining was commonly done on purpose by oldschool bodybuilders, and probably still by bodybuilders today.

Another, maybe better, source: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/content/old-school-high-1371/
That's called overreaching, not overtraining. Overtraining is something that is thrown around far too commonly these days.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Your muscles recover faster but you can overwork your nervous system and still feel like garbage.

superswole23

Awards
My workout is as follows:

Day 1- arms-
biceps barbell curls 4 working sets
Triceps press down 4 or 5 working sets
Biceps hammer curls 3 sets
Triceps headaches(skull crushers) 3 sets
Biceps preacher curls 4 sets
Triceps dips 4 sets

Day 2 - shoulders and legs

Military press barbell
5 working sets
Military press dumbbell
4 working sets
Shoulder flies 4 or 5 sets
Real delt flies 3 sets

Legs
Squat 4 sets
Calf raises 4 sets
Leg curls 4 sets

Day 3 chest back

Bench 5 working sets
Bench dumbbells 4 sets
Dumbbell flies 4 sets
Machine flies 3 sets
Dips

Back
Pull ups 4 sets
Row 4 sets
Pull downs 4 sets

No set day for rest until I run into something and I can't workout. Usually miss 1 workout every two weeks approx

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
No set day for rest until I run into something and I can't workout. Usually miss 1 workout every two weeks approx
Arms get hit 13 days in a row directly and indirectly. That just screams overtraining to me, i wouldnt even do that on cycle.

superswole23

Awards
Arms get hit 13 days in a row directly and indirectly. That just screams overtraining to me, i wouldnt even do that on cycle.
Well damn. I get flabby when I skip a day of working out. And I seem to still be growing fine

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well damn. I get flabby when I skip a day of working out. And I seem to still be growing fine
You have more volume for arms then legs, which is far from optimal. You do not get flabby in one day; that's all in your head.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
The problem I see is you only have 12 sets of legs, and 12 sets of back. I don't know how your body reacts and what your strong points are but I would say you need at least 16-20 sets for major muscle groups and at least 8-12 sets for small muscle groups. Those are just generic all around numbers though, and would need to be adjusted for strong/weak points and other varying factors.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
The problem I see is you only have 12 sets of legs, and 12 sets of back. I don't know how your body reacts and what your strong points are but I would say you need at least 16-20 sets for major muscle groups and at least 8-12 sets for small muscle groups. Those are just generic all around numbers though, and would need to be adjusted for strong/weak points and other varying factors.

Thats a lot of volume, i highly doubt anyone needs that much to actually grow. If you have pushed your body to require that much volume i can guarantee you will get better gains by taking a short time off of that and into a lower volume, higher frequency program.

groverino

Awards
Thats a lot of volume, i highly doubt anyone needs that much to actually grow. If you have pushed your body to require that much volume i can guarantee you will get better gains by taking a short time off of that and into a lower volume, higher frequency program.
This. That's a terrible program on or off. Search up "5/3/1" and read it.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jesus I grow like a champ with
Chest/Bi 3 exercises for chest n 2 for bis
Back/tri 3 exercises for back n 2 for tris
Legs 4 exercises for legs
Shoulders/forearms/abs 3 for shoulders 1 for forearms 2 for abs
Off
Repeat

And I do 4 sets and focus mostly on compound lifts and do all body weight and free weight exercises rarely do machines

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wut? I skipped over 2 weeks of lifting after my physique competition, and my composition did not change.

Strong mental weakness lol.

BeastMode 1

BeastMode 1

Awards
Thanks guys! I weigh 170ish so should I shoot for 250g protein a day sound good?
id up that "on cycle". your bodys protein synthesis is increased. id shoot for 2gs per lb of weight, so 340 ideally.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
That's a recommendation based off of working each muscle group once a week, it's not too much at all. That's not high volume in any way. 16 sets for chest is 4 sets each for 4 exercises... I did that 2 days ago in 40min easy. 20 sets would be one more exercise for another four sets, so 5 for 4. I was doing ~25 sets on chest day while I was on, and I've commonly done 30 sets total for legs, that's high volume not 16 to 20. This is totally different if you are doing a workout split, where the same muscle groups are worked more than once a week.

I spent a lot of time messing around doing 3 sets of each exercise for 4 or 5 different exercises a muscle group and getting nowhere. Upping volume is what works for me, maybe it's not good for everyone but it works well for some.

I've also done lower volume with higher frequency like groverino suggested and though I liked that program it was taxing on me because I work 10-12+ hours a day, so things like 2 a days are very difficult for me to accomplish.

It's not a terrible program on or off, there's not one program that works well for everyone and things that may seem ridiculous to some work well for others so open your fkin minds a little bit.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
Here is an article about high volume workouts saying that they generally involve 18-30 sets per body part. It does also talk about high volume training results stopping for most lifters after some time and how workouts can become catabolic after 60min or so for natural lifters. This is why I cycle my workouts and take a little while to do some lower volume training than this every few months or so.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/high-volume-training/

The high volume workout shown here has 24 sets: http://plyoathletics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/high-load-or-high-volume-chest-workout.html

There you have it.

superswole23

Awards
Wut? I skipped over 2 weeks of lifting after my physique competition, and my composition did not change.

Strong mental weakness lol.
Bro can u pm me your full workout. And cals/protein a day?

ReyMan

ReyMan

Awards
id up that "on cycle". your bodys protein synthesis is increased. id shoot for 2gs per lb of weight, so 340 ideally.
If he can eat that much lololol

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
That's a recommendation based off of working each muscle group once a week, it's not too much at all. That's not high volume in any way. 16 sets for chest is 4 sets each for 4 exercises... I did that 2 days ago in 40min easy. 20 sets would be one more exercise for another four sets, so 5 for 4. I was doing ~25 sets on chest day while I was on, and I've commonly done 30 sets total for legs, that's high volume not 16 to 20. This is totally different if you are doing a workout split, where the same muscle groups are worked more than once a week.

I spent a lot of time messing around doing 3 sets of each exercise for 4 or 5 different exercises a muscle group and getting nowhere. Upping volume is what works for me, maybe it's not good for everyone but it works well for some.

I've also done lower volume with higher frequency like groverino suggested and though I liked that program it was taxing on me because I work 10-12+ hours a day, so things like 2 a days are very difficult for me to accomplish.

It's not a terrible program on or off, there's not one program that works well for everyone and things that may seem ridiculous to some work well for others so open your fkin minds a little bit.
Yeah for each bodypart once a week....9 sets or more would seem to be mandatory.....i usually do it that way. But I've been mostly cutting and recomping the last 6 months or so.....id go twice a week maybe on a bulk/lean bulk though....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is an article about high volume workouts saying that they generally involve 18-30 sets per body part. It does also talk about high volume training results stopping for most lifters after some time and how workouts can become catabolic after 60min or so for natural lifters. This is why I cycle my workouts and take a little while to do some lower volume training than this every few months or so.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/high-volume-training/

The high volume workout shown here has 24 sets: http://plyoathletics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/high-load-or-high-volume-chest-workout.html

There you have it.
The whole "60 minute rule" is retarded and those "articles" are terrible. 75 minutes falls into the high-volume category...seriously!? I spend that much time warming up and then working up to my max.

LITERaCOLA

Awards
Muscles can get overworked on sterons. But the biggest issue is your tendons and ligaments. The muscles grow much faster than everything else, and it's easy to injure yourself.
^ just about to put the exact same thing. Especially if you're new to lifting and shouldn't be using anabolics yet because your tendons and ligaments aren't strong yet but the anabolics give you the ability to lift more weight which puts more stress on the tendons and ligaments.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
The whole "60 minute rule" is retarded and those "articles" are terrible. 75 minutes falls into the high-volume category...seriously!? I spend that much time warming up and then working up to my max.
I know the articles weren't the best, but the workouts were what I was looking for for my example.

LTFU

Awards
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but how does this look on a ph cycle.

Day 1: Chest, tri's
Day 2: back, bi's
Day 3: legs
Day 4 : shoulders, traps
Day 5: rest
Repeat

Also, listening to my body if it seems to much

ReyMan

ReyMan

Awards
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but how does this look on a ph cycle.

Day 1: Chest, tri's
Day 2: back, bi's
Day 3: legs
Day 4 : shoulders, traps
Day 5: rest
Repeat

Also, listening to my body if it seems to much
This should be in the training section. And besides why changed your routine when you're on anabolics??

Your post doesn't have very much detail either. How about sets and reps?

LTFU

Awards
Sorry about that. But normally 4 workouts of 3 sets 6-10 reps per body part. And only reason I was thinking of bumping it up is because the increased recovery from being on cycle

Bruiser76

Bruiser76

Awards
Sorry about that. But normally 4 workouts of 3 sets 6-10 reps per body part. And only reason I was thinking of bumping it up is because the increased recovery from being on cycle
You're only doing three sets per body part? Please tell me I read that wrong....