Glad I aspirated

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Hit a vein today in my right glute today. Wasn't really a big deal but my question is, what do you guys do with the gear in the syringe. Is it still ok to pin it w/a fresh needle, or should I toss it. I figure its my blood can't hurt me to bad, or is this meathead logic.

fdnk

Board Supporter
Awards
You are ok to pin it with little bit of blood in the syringe.

(as you said - it's your blood, thus it can't hurt you)

Just use a new needle.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
whoa whoa definetely do not put blood form one place to another. I mean a little bit like a drop or two should be fine but definely if you draw blood out of your glute pull it out shoot the blood out change pins and restick your glute dont go to another muscle for injection. I have spoke woth docs about this and they say some pretty bad complications can come form taking blodd form one part of the body and sticking it is somewhere else

bulkmuscle

Awards
whoa whoa definetely do not put blood form one place to another. I mean a little bit like a drop or two should be fine but definely if you draw blood out of your glute pull it out shoot the blood out change pins and restick your glute dont go to another muscle for injection. I have spoke woth docs about this and they say some pretty bad complications can come form taking blodd form one part of the body and sticking it is somewhere else
why is it bad? doesnt seem logical for it to be bad to me.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Yeah i squirted all the blood out of the pin, and then changed needles, and injected. I didn't see any blood left in the syringe when i injected.

Funny Monkey

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
why is it bad? doesnt seem logical for it to be bad to me.
The way it was explained to me is that if you take blood out of one part of your body and stick it
IM in another part of your body it wont like it. Blood out of a vein in one part has a different "make up" than in the muscle of another. I cant remember exactly what he said would happen. Seems like clotting or an abcess could occur not real sure about that but I remember it didnt sound like fun.

I searched the net a while and couldnt find anyhting, but I still woudlnt take the chance.

Maybe a doc or someone whol knows more about this can chime in

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Im with bulk blood is blood. In the old days when they took you platelets or plasma out of you blood at a blood bank they take it out of one arm and reintroduce in the other arm. So i know thats not true. And i dont think its call asperated its called a hematoma when you hit a vessle and bleed out side it. Asperation is when you get food fluid in ur lungs.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
to aspirate means to pull back on the plunger before you inject to make sure your not in a blood vessel.

Also i went ahead and pinned the gear. Haven't had any problems so far, but i did get most of the blood out first (all that i could see), and switched pins.

He's talking about taking blood out of a vein, and putting it in a muscle. I could see that there could possibly be a problem, but i'm guessing it's like the air thing. Where you would need a relatively large amount to cause any problem.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the problem is that if you're just sticking the blood in a muscle, it's gonna form a clot or at least a bruise.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
guys, simple solution here hold the syringe down ward and let it sit for a few min. the blood is heavier then there gear and you shoot the stuff in the sink carefully not to waste your gear. change needles and your fine.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
In the old days when they took you platelets or plasma out of you blood at a blood bank they take it out of one arm and reintroduce in the other arm. .
in the old days, they used the same damn syringe for vaccinations for loggers. My Great granfather died of HEP. C at the age of 25. His wife (my GGMA) died from lung cancer years later, because "A DOCTOR" prescribed a cigarette and a cup of coffee, for her nerves.( because of her husbands death)

so doctors in the old days even in the 80's didnt know much more than the 30's.
case/point AIDS and HEP C in blood banks.

thats why they call medicine a practice not a perfect.
but i would listen in this case, they still know more than me.

Remember a bonefied Doctor still is a far cry from some Medical Assistant off the street that took some night courses, that takes and gives you blood on the poor side of town.

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
Yea i thought you ment you nicked a vessel and bled out side ur vain. My gf used to get hematomas all the time when she gave plasma. Be in there for five mins get a hema then leave with 30 bucks, but still blood is blood no matter where you take it out of or put it in.

crazydoc1

Awards
A few drops is one thing.... a volume of whole blood from a vein should not be reinjected.

Its apples and oranges and not sound to compare CVVA or dialysis to accidentally hitting a vein and figurig you'd throw 0.5 cc of then clotting whole blood into another muscle group..

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Ok i'll re-explain myself. I did not reinject .5cc of blood back into my muscle. I aspirated and got probably .2-.3 ml's of blood. I then pushed that little bit of blood out of the needle until gear came out of the needle. Then i switched needles and pinned the gear. I saw absolutely no blood in the syringe although i'm sure there was a small amount left that was to small for the naked eye to see. This was on monday, and I had zero injection pain, and zero soarness the next day (I pinned 3cc's), and still have zero soreness. It's now friday night so i'm thinking i'm gonna live.

I would have never thought of injecting .5cc of blood back into a muscle, but was only asking if still using the gear after pushing the blood out was safe. After i posted i thought about it and figured that if there was any blood left in the syringe that it was such a small amount that it wouldn't hurt me. Now i know this may have not been the best idea, but i guess we all live and learn. To tell you the truth i would probably do the same thing over again.