Will low carbs on cycle inhibit gains?

T

thedj

Awards
I'm planning a recomp cycle for this summer and was considering lowering my carbs to ~100g/day but was wondering if it would limit my anabolic potential if i was still eating maintenance or slightly above. Personally i find that my body responds very well to lowering carb intake. I'd probably be on epi and was wondering if you guys thought that limiting my carbs would limit the anabolic effects of the drug?

I'm hoping to still put on a lot of solid LBM this cycle while cutting a lot of bf%. Anyone have experience with putting on mass with low carbs? Diet would be extremely clean as always. Keeping T3 as an extra option and also considering cycling carbs although i like consistency.

Thanks

tl;dr: is making decent gains on a recomp cycle with calories at or slightly above maintenance going to be jeopardized by lowering carbs to 100g/day? how essential are carbs on AAS?

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you shouldn't let your carbs drop below about 170g per day if you want to gain muscle.

carbs are a readily available form of energy, which your body will need to keep up the anabolic process.

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
Go by how you feel. If you feel sluggish in the gym, and throughout the day, and don't feel like you're recovery is up to speed, take in carbs. Just have a refeed/cheat day once every 5 or 7 days. The problem is, you should cut out stims while on epi so you gots to get good carbs I figure, ya know?

I went low carb and my performance in the gym/on the court/in class struggled.....always better with carbs at ~200

N

Nate007

Awards
Go by how you feel. If you feel sluggish in the gym, and throughout the day, and don't feel like you're recovery is up to speed, take in carbs. Just have a refeed/cheat day once every 5 or 7 days. The problem is, you should cut out stims while on epi so you gots to get good carbs I figure, ya know?

I went low carb and my performance in the gym/on the court/in class struggled.....always better with carbs at ~200
I think stims are fine on cycle. Of course this prob depends on the person. But I just started week 5 of a cycle and have been using stims the entire cycle. Haven't even taken anything for blood pressure control and I've been monitoring it and my heart rate. Both have been perfect so far. I can't live without my pre workout! Now someone who has blood pressure issues already might want to avoid stims but that may even be combated with hawthorn.

N

Nate007

Awards
Also, I do low carb once a week on my cardio only day. Just down my pre workout before and hit it. Haven't noticed any slacking in cardio performance.

N

NonyaBidness

Awards
Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body. Fire up the carbs.

W

warren123

Awards
I think stims are fine on cycle. Of course this prob depends on the person. But I just started week 5 of a cycle and have been using stims the entire cycle. Haven't even taken anything for blood pressure control and I've been monitoring it and my heart rate. Both have been perfect so far. I can't live without my pre workout! Now someone who has blood pressure issues already might want to avoid stims but that may even be combated with hawthorn.
Good post. It really does depend on the user. I avoided lethargy thus far due to my increase in carbs. When I went on a very low carb diet previously before my cycle it took a little while for my body to adjust and I upped my fat intake. I would see how you feel and base it on that for yourself.

TryHard23

TryHard23

Awards
Good post. It really does depend on the user. I avoided lethargy thus far due to my increase in carbs. When I went on a very low carb diet previously before my cycle it took a little while for my body to adjust and I upped my fat intake. I would see how you feel and base it on that for yourself.
Even if bp and hr are fine... still seems like more stress for the body while on.

W

warren123

Awards
Even if bp and hr are fine... still seems like more stress for the body while on.
I meant moreso with the carbs than BP, guess I should have clarified. OP make sure you read this so you know what I was referring to!

Regarding BP on cycle, I wouldn't mess with it. I haven't felt like I needed a PWO and I cut out all coffee/diet soda/anything with caffeine in it. There's no real reason to risk it or put more stress like you said.

N

Nate007

Awards
Don't get me wrong, stims and pretty much any drug put stress on your body wether on cycle or not. I in no way would suggest loading up on energy drinks, pop, pre workouts etc. on or off cycle. For me my pre workout is the only caffeine I take in almost everyday, except the occasional diet pop like once or twice a week. I just want to be as energized as possible when I hit the gym and get the most out of every workout. As far as the original op question like mentioned above lethargy is always going to be dependent on person. I don't think you would get the same strength and pure size gains from a no carb. But if cutting bf is more important than the low carb would prob be ok. Honestly though if u want to build and cut I think u should look into carb cycling, just do the occasional no carb, or just watch what types of carbs you consume. Hope this helps.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
If you want to go low carb you should probly get a high fat intake as your body would use that for energy and since fat is used quickly you woul need a consistent intake of it all day long. I personally NEED a lot of carbs to build any muscle.i can be carb sensitive at times though if i dont have the timing down and ill start accumilating fat