Creatine Post Workout?

flaxbourton

Awards
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a few months now but figured I'd go ahead and makes my first post. My question concerns a Facebook comment thread on the p90x page where they asked about everyone's favorite recovery drink. One item I saw mentioned many times was creatine. I guess this surprised me.

My understanding is that creatine supplies the muscles with a molecule that allows them to contract past the point where they would normally be exhausted. Kind of a "one more rep" supplement to tear the muscles down even farther.

I also thought that creatine spends itself rather quickly in your body, or gets flushed pretty quickly. Similar to how it gets spent quickly in a cup of water if you don't drink it immediately. The whole thing where you dont pre-mix your creatine powder and drink it later.

Anyhow, is this true? And my main question is whether or not creatine after the workout is a waste or beneficial?

Thanks!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
creatine monohydrate is cheap, proven and doesnt matter when you take it as long as you get it daily, 3-5 grams.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
^ the above is correct.
However, for "vanity" reasons, and on certain forms of creatine (CEE and the anything else other then mono) Once I'm loaded (or start to gain subq water weight, I only take it during / post workout.

Don't let my post confuse you, follow the above advise. If you notice your gaining external water weight at some point you can switch to during / post workout only to help cut that some

...sometimes, I just post to post :p

flaxbourton

Awards
Thanks for the feedback! The 3-5 grams as a suggested serving was a nice addition too. Didn't know how much, just that you should take some. I usually take 1 capsule of Kre-alkylyn (got it free awhile back and seems legit) plus there is some pre-mixed in my ON Serious Mass which I usually take a half serving of as my mid morning meal.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Just buy creatine mono don't bother with other forms of creatine all the studies are done on monohydrate. Take 3 - 5 grams per day as suggested by everyone.