Ice Cold Showers for Post Cycle

Pirate

Awards
Hey Guys,

It's funny, everytime I read Big Cat's ph guide I always find something new.

"Take plenty of ice-cold showers to shock the system."

I've heard about this for post cycle and I also saw a thing on t.v. with professional wrestler Broc Lesnar who would do this. He would jump in a bath looking deal that he had dumped 10 bags of ice and cold water in. He would just sit in it for a couple minutes. I'm trying to think how this would benefit the muscles with such extreme cold?:think: Any of you bro's ever tried this before?

-Pirate

P.s. Here is the link to Big Cat's ph guide. EVERYONE should take a look at it if you havn't already.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catproh.htm

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
I think it has something to do with shocking your nuts by the extreme temp change, and somehow makes them start working quicker in post cycle. That is my scientific explanation:thumbsup:, but I have no idea about the real science behind it.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have read of powerlifters doing this to stimulate testosterone production . . .

Pirate

Awards
This is really interesting, im definitly gonna try it out starting monday. Cold showers for me after working out, now!

-Pirate

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you, Darius. I'm gonna take the god-awful taste of nolva over the popsicle-nuts 7 days out of the week.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
wow. i'll stick to maltodextrin and whey

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
lol my girl is so frigid I could just tea bag her? J/k

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've done this for years post-workout and I whole-heartedly believe it helps with muscle recovery AND helps with many aspects of the hormonal axis.

It's been proven to increase thyroid output, (in hampsters anyways, but don't have a link, sorry).

Many people believe it has life extension properties as well.

It certainly couldn't hurt.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Well, icing down the whole body after an intense workout would certainly help to reduce the chance of long-term injury due to accumulation of micro-trauma to muscular and connective tissure caused by inflammation.

When I tried 1test/4Ad last year, I took several cold showers a week because I read that in Big Cat's article. With 6-OXO and 20mg/Nolva per day, I kept all the gains.

BV

darius

Man.. why do you gotta post stuff like this.. now I'm gonna have to try it. :p

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
The few times I tried it, I would start the with the water warm, then gradually turn it all the way to cold, it really isnt that bad.;)

SoccerGuy07

Awards
Actually its not just for working out. This is a good idea post-workout for all sports. It cools the muscles down really well, alleviating soreness. I play college soccer, and many guys (including me) will turn the whirlpools into an ice bath and sit in it during preseason, when we're busting our asses. Usually, we're extremely sore the next day. However, the soreness is tremendously reduced after an ice bath/shower. It works.

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
This was a big part of EDT (Escalating Density Training) if I remember correctly. They advocate massaging muscles with ice immediately after training, or something like that.

"Hi, my name is SS, and I used to read T-mag." :frustrate

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
haha

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
This was a big part of EDT (Escalating Density Training) if I remember correctly. They advocate massaging muscles with ice immediately after training, or something like that.

"Hi, my name is SS, and I used to read T-mag." :frustrate
:lol:

Buc4Life04

Awards
  • Established
But cold water contracts your veins so post cycle when you in the most need for supps your veins will be constricted and will slow the supply of protien creatine dex ect.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I have heard the opposite. That it decreases bloodflow to the skin, but increases it to the muscle.

synesta

Awards
Now I just found the real secrets of the pros, Ice Baths. Olympia here I come lol

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ive been using ice cold showers.

remember hot showers for too long drain your body of the bodys natural oils

jxhopper

Awards
  • Established
I have heard the opposite. That it decreases bloodflow to the skin, but increases it to the muscle.
THis makes the most sense. Your body will compensate by slowing circulation near the skin ( to prevent heat loss). THe flow to internal organs and muscle should increase to raise internal body heat to combat dropping body temperature.

jxhopper

Awards
  • Established
I know I feel great by turning the shower to cold at the end...but I don;t think my water is cold enough to really shock my body. I was thinking of a quick icewater dip[ after my shower......hehehe

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
I think it has something to do with shocking your nuts by the extreme temp change, and somehow makes them start working quicker in post cycle.
What if you just localize the cold shower then?

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
rrgg, are you suggesting tea bagging a bowl of ice water with your sack?:D

It might still work, I dont know if it is necessary for the entire body to get cold...

acecombact1

Awards
rrgg, are you suggesting tea bagging a bowl of ice water with your sack?:D

It might still work, I dont know if it is necessary for the entire body to get cold...
man tha sounds scary..........but i think the whole CNS system has to be cold shocked in order to get the results

Edge

Awards
Ive heard the contrary. Ive read that hot showers after the workout give you better growth hormone relase because the body becomes relaxed. Got it from abcbodybuilding.com.

gobig1

Awards
Don't remember the exact person that was interviewed, an old-timer, I think Franco Columbo (spelling) he used to take swims in the very cold ocean water for 30-45 minutes 2-3 times a day the last 3-4 weeks before a contest, it forced the body to burn that last bit of fat in a survival mode in the face of freezing to death along with the cardio from swimming. Said it was his secret to getting shredded for a contest.......makes theoretical sense anyway. Wish I could remember the person/article but it was many years ago I read it.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Why make it so complicated with bowls of ice water? :think: I was suggesting turning the shower to cold but not putting your entire body under the shower.:eek:

Sldge

Super Lab Rat
Awards
  • Established
The ice water causes a release of adrenalin (sp) which is why it also helps with fat loss. for the muscle reasoning it is a natural pain killer, that is why they ice injuries so much. it helps dull pain, lubricate the muscle and cool it down. the reason for ice massage is also to give a local pain reducing effect so that the muscle can be massaged to induce growth by breaking up leasions (sp) across the muscle fibers. its hurts like hell but does help.

rrgg

rrgg

Awards
  • Established
Adrenaline? Does the cold shower treatment also affect cortisol?

And what do you think of my new PCT?

Week 1: 1 hr shark cage diving
Week 2: speedway racing & rollercoaster rides
Week 3: bungee jumping (taper down)
Week 4: ice cold shower on nads

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established

:icon_lol:

When Frank Zane injured his shoulder in 1980 he began to ice his shoulders down after working out to aid in recovery. I don't know about for a post cycle but it could be beneficial doing it after working out.

bronx220

bronx220

Awards
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: LMFAO

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: LMFAO
i like it.

would running cold water ON JUST YOUR NADS, do it ,or would it need
to be the whole body?

expirenced cold showerers tell me do you get a cold? esp in the winter?

i know vit c counteracts cold sthought,but since i started taking them people
have commented wouldnt it effect you getting a cold?

Edge

Awards
Whole body. The body needs to feel that shock that you feel when your getting hit by cold water so that it goes into a instict mode and starts releasing adrenaline.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Cold temps promote higher test production, and warm temps increase GH levels. You can't have it all!

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
do them both, staggeredly( nice word huh )
i know when i have squatted and or played football, i would get in the HOT tub
and it seemed to prevent alot of soreness.
i guess you could goe cold right after then b4 sleep hit the hottub.

gobig1

Awards
I remember a few (drunken) nights in South Korea on military training exercises we would go to the local bath house to clean up and get ready for a night of local sight-seeing, they had hot tubs and ice baths next to each other........hmmmmm

db682

Awards
  • Established
How are all you ladies doing these days? been some time since I last posted. Dont worry I try to keep track of the board on a daily basis though.

Anyways, what Ive been taught from years of football, biking, running, swimming and schooling is that the ice baths that I used to take were to help reduce lactic acid (chemical wastes) accumulation and speed the removal process of the acid from the overstressed muscles. Dont be fooled becauce lactic acid and DOMs are in no way related so dont think an ice bath will help for DOMs. Ice baths must be taken immediatly after whatever activity your doing to work. Typically bodybuilders dont need to take ice baths unless you start experiencing cramping or muscle pain right away. honestly Ive never taken one after lifting. I have taken them plenty of times after long distance running and biking and after hard football practices. I have even taken a couple after swimming when I was getting extreme cramps from being in the water so long. They are not fun at all and it takes some time to adjust to them. You never get used to them though.

I dont know if its a good thing or not but my new gym here in gainesville has a 7 person ice pool that circulates water right above freezing. In the next room theres a extremly hot pool and also a regular jacuzzi. Ive been told that alot of gyms are starting to get into this. Geez, I just realized Im a member at a health club/gym. Ohh well, as long as the scenery is nice and theyve got plenty of freeweights Im game. Besides my new schedule only lets me lift 3 times a week.

db

db682

Awards
  • Established
Ooh and about the adrenaline. I have never heard anything about that. I dont think it holds much ground though. I will admit the first few times you most likely will have an adrenaline rush but your body will learn that this is not a "fight or flight" event. Kinda like all other extreme events. Professional skydivers dont get an adrenaline rush like they probably did there first jump and same goes for shark divers and just about every other extreme event someone performs repeatedly. Memory (your brain) tells your body you have overcome the fear or thrill and that there is no need to release adrenaline. Maybe if you drop a rattle snake in an ice bath with you then your "go juices" will get flowing again. Who knows?
Good theory though.

db

Talon

Awards
i like it.

would running cold water ON JUST YOUR NADS, do it ,or would it need
to be the whole body?

expirenced cold showerers tell me do you get a cold? esp in the winter?

i know vit c counteracts cold sthought,but since i started taking them people
have commented wouldnt it effect you getting a cold?
Colds are caused by the cold virus. Cold temperatures (as in the air outside not just a brief shower) among other contributing factors such as the lack of ventilation and tons of excess **** built up in your central air system facilitate the weakening of the immune system leaving you susceptible to the common cold virus. Cold temperatures in and of themselves have little to do with someone actually getting a 'cold.' I think the cold actually affects the bronchial infections so many of us manage to pick up through the years which is why you might get a cough when the temperature changes.

rngkng

Awards
i do it all the time, burns like hell but it helps alot as far as muscle soreness goes. have no idea about the hormonal aspect to it all.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Colds are caused by the cold virus. Cold temperatures (as in the air outside not just a brief shower) among other contributing factors such as the lack of ventilation and tons of excess **** built up in your central air system facilitate the weakening of the immune system leaving you susceptible to the common cold virus. Cold temperatures in and of themselves have little to do with someone actually getting a 'cold.' I think the cold actually affects the bronchial infections so many of us manage to pick up through the years which is why you might get a cough when the temperature changes.
right on. also with temperatures dropping, people tend to stay inside more. so you have more inside contact with people.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I TOOK COLD SHOWERS WHEN TAKING mohn.I did lose fat.Anyone still trying cold showers?

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I think it has something to do with shocking your nuts by the extreme temp change, and somehow makes them start working quicker in post cycle. That is my scientific explanation:thumbsup:, but I have no idea about the real science behind it.
I would say that I nearly ALWAYS have a strong aversion to any recommendation that uses the word NUTS and SHOCKING in the same sentence. :rofl:

However, I often take cold showers after my workout, not for any specific reason, it just feels good.

I wonder, what if you train, then hit the sauna, then hit a cold shower?

:think:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I would say that I nearly ALWAYS have a strong aversion to any recommendation that uses the word NUTS and SHOCKING in the same sentence. :rofl:
You are a wise man, if millions of years of evolution scream out at you "don't do it, it's too F'ing cold!" then I tend to trust that too. I guess it was in the late 80's I remember a big contraversy about the temperature setting at the gym. I asked my trainer and he said that warm temps increased GH biosynthesis but cold temps increased test production. You can't have it both. I have always blindly followed that logic, but I don't believe I ever followed up to check the validity of his comments. This should be investigated.