No Motivation in Winter?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Maybe this is why I never feel as much like lifting during the winter.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003 Feb 1;88(2):932-937

Variation in Levels of Serum Inhibin B, Testosterone, Estradiol, Luteinizing Hormone, Follicle-Stimulating Hormone, and Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin in Monthly Samples from Healthy Men during a 17-Month Period: Possible Effects of Seasons.

Andersson AM, Carlsen E, Petersen JH, Skakkebaek NE.

Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.

To obtain information on the scale of the intraindividual variation in testicular hormone, blood samples for inhibin B determination were collected monthly in 27 healthy male volunteers during a 17-month period. In addition, the traditional reproductive hormones FSH, LH, testosterone, estradiol, and SHBG were measured. The intraindividual variation in inhibin B over the study period was, on the average, 10%, corresponding to the assay variation of the inhibin B assay, indicating that most of the observed day to day variation in inhibin B levels in men could be explained by assay variation. A seasonal variation was observed in LH and testosterone levels, but not in the levels of the other hormones. The seasonal variation in testosterone levels could be explained by the variation in LH levels. The seasonal variation in LH levels seemed to be related to the mean air temperature during the month before blood sampling but not to the length of daylight or the hours of sunshine. In conclusion, our data showed that day to day levels of inhibin B are relatively constant in men and do not seem to be influenced by seasonal factors. In contrast, we found a seasonal variation in LH and testosterone levels in men. The peak levels of both LH and testosterone were observed during June-July, with minimum levels present during winter-early spring. Air temperature, rather than light exposure, seems to be a possible climatic variable explaining the seasonal variation in LH levels.

DarCSA

Awards
This explains a lot to me. I understand a little more the lethargy I have in the winter and why come spring and June I feel more rejuvinated. Damn nice work in Copenhagen,

joe bigboy

Awards
i got a bad case of lack of motivation right now, that explains why.....

Bozz

Awards
Thats why i'm on a big healthy dose of test right now. ok along with some winny and tren too LOL. This is one of the big reasons behind SAD(seasonal affection disorder???) and can be a killer if people get too depressed.

bOZz

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Another possibility as to why depression occurs heavily in the Winter

Effect of sunlight and season on serotonin turnover in the brain.

Lambert GW, Reid C, Kaye DM, Jennings GL, Esler MD.

Human Neurotransmitter Laboratory and Alfred and Baker Medical Unit, Baker Heart Research Institute, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Victoria 8008, Melbourne, Australia. [email protected]

Alterations in monoaminergic neurotransmission in the brain are thought to underlie seasonal variations in mood, behaviour, and affective disorders. We took blood samples from internal jugular veins in 101 healthy men, to assess the relation between concentration of serotonin metabolite in these samples and weather conditions and season. We showed that turnover of serotonin by the brain was lowest in winter (p=0.013). Moreover, the rate of production of serotonin by the brain was directly related to the prevailing duration of bright sunlight (r=0.294, p=0.010), and rose rapidly with increased luminosity. Our findings are further evidence for the notion that changes in release of serotonin by the brain underlie mood seasonality and seasonal affective disorder.