Best syringe filter you can use with great rate of flow and sterilization

hugedelts505

Awards
What has everyone had the best luck in using as far as whatman syringe filters? I know several people prefer .2 micron and several prefer .45 micron filters, which I understand for bacteria/viruses. Nobody ever mentions which subtype they use with the greatest success though.

Such as: (all whatman types)
ANOTOP
GD/X
GD/XP
PURADISC
REZIST
SPARTAN
**And also the type of filtration media that's most desired with an oil type solution. Is nylon the best media as far as quickness?

The ones I'd ordered & received yesterday evening, had been delayed in shipping and therefore the company sent me some extra vials/chemicals and also said they upgraded my syringe filters to a higher cost type. I'm thinking I originally ordered "Whatman .2m GD/X 25mm filters." The company I ordered from had no option as to the type of filtration media the filter contained. The package they came in was a vacuum sealed, clear package with no name on the package, containing three filters that were each labeled ".2um Whatman PVDF." I know the pvdf is just the type of filter material,
but my huge problem was this:
**It took huge amounts of pressure to even get a couple drips out. Like all the force I could possibly exert. There was that much backpressure.
**It took 3 hours and 2 filters to process 20mL of my prop.
**So I prefiltered the oil with a coffee filter before mixing with my powder and bb and ba. Then mixed my prefiltered oil with my powder/solvents and prefiltered this solution twice through coffee filter material twice! Then proceeded to try and run through my filter, but the results were hardly any better. The backpressure was still just as much, it took my entire bodyweight force to obtain just a few drips and it took, like I said, hours to filter this small amount.

--**--What is my problem??? --**--
I know the filter was on the luer lock end of the syringe correctly, letters up facing me, with a 16 guage pin on other end and I also tried an 18 with no better success. I also tried backloading the syringe with my oil first, didn't help, then switched to drawing my oil and putting on my filter after this.
**NOTE** MY OIL WAS KEPT AT LEAST 100C THROUGHOUT AND EVEN TRIED 130,140C TO SEE IF THAT HELPED, DIDN'T!

hugedelts505

Awards
I guess not near as many ppl as I had originally believed, have dealt with making a powder into an injectable. It's hard to get advice on the subject and most, if not all, the reading you can find on the subject only offers straight forward guidelines. No common troubleshooting issues a a person might have dealing with this type of thing. Once I have a flawless system that is upto my perfection guidelines, I will post a thread detailing the subject and also adding with it all the common problems I've had and other ppl have had in this area and common solutions to fix the problem from my experience and further research. Any help at the moment, while I'm still learning all I can, would be greatly appreciated though.

rebelhead

rebelhead

Banned
Awards
it's just hard to filter a substance with the viscosity of oil through a syringe filter. i've hurt the palm of my hand pressing for an hour on a syringe.lol heating the oil greatly helps. just make sure all the powder is disolved at room temp in the oil, or after it is heated and filtered powder will precipitate from the oil in the vial. u dont have to heat it though. i get a 60 or 100ml syringe from the pharmacy. it will fit into a caulking gun. u can get one for $5 from walmart. just use the gun for pressure. it will filter quickly at first until the filter starts to clog. beats pressing on that thing for an hour for sure. btw if u want to use a smaller syringe, u can take a vitamin bottle cap and cut a small hole in the center for the syringe and fit it in the caulk gun so it wont slip out the end of the gun.

hugedelts505

Awards
That's a hell of an idea bro lol. I never thought of a caulking gun at all, because that was my problem. It was literally killing my hands. I figured the oil was just much harder to force through a .2micron filter. I ordered some .45's that are built into a syringe looking piece, called a "Whatman Autovial" system. It is a strictly nylon membrane filter type and that's supposed to process oil solutions better than any, and be the most durable. They were $6.50 a pc, so a couple extra bucks to save my hand seemed well worth it. I bought 2 & I have around what will be 120 mL left to process. Still have a couple .2's too. I just read how ppl were saying their solution didn't come out looking perfect so they'd run it thru a filter 2 3 times, and from the trouble I had and time spent I just didn't see someone doing that if it was that tough and took that long. Looks like they'd be setting and pressing for days solid to filter that much 2 or 3 times lol. When I receive my autovial systems I'll post how well they work and hopefully if they do it can save a few ppl some of the trouble I've had before.

rebelhead

rebelhead

Banned
Awards
That's a hell of an idea bro lol. I never thought of a caulking gun at all, because that was my problem. It was literally killing my hands. I figured the oil was just much harder to force through a .2micron filter. I ordered some .45's that are built into a syringe looking piece, called a "Whatman Autovial" system. It is a strictly nylon membrane filter type and that's supposed to process oil solutions better than any, and be the most durable. They were $6.50 a pc, so a couple extra bucks to save my hand seemed well worth it. I bought 2 & I have around what will be 120 mL left to process. Still have a couple .2's too. I just read how ppl were saying their solution didn't come out looking perfect so they'd run it thru a filter 2 3 times, and from the trouble I had and time spent I just didn't see someone doing that if it was that tough and took that long. Looks like they'd be setting and pressing for days solid to filter that much 2 or 3 times lol. When I receive my autovial systems I'll post how well they work and hopefully if they do it can save a few ppl some of the trouble I've had before.
ya man the caulk gun works great. i haven't experimented with different types of filters. i always just buy the cheapest. it also helps to leave some air in the syringe. it cushions the plunger and clears all the oil through the filter when done. i mix everything together before i filter, oil, Ba, and powder. heat a little and let cool. then filter.done this a bunch and all my solutions are crystal clear.

hugedelts505

Awards
I love these whatman autovials compared to the other ones i've tried. I used the nylon ones in .22 and .45 and both were just heaven compared to the others. I don't know if i'll ever use a PVDF filter again, I absolutely despise and hate them!!! They're ridiculously super slow and create ten times the pressure as a nylon filter. I wish they made the autovial systems in something larger than 12ml though. A big 50ml would be super nice! I was still able to use the caulk gun with them as well, so that was great. I just had to make sure I put a 16 or 18G tip on the end b/c the ends are recessed into the end. I also went ahead and put a vitamin lid,with a hole cut in the middle for the tip to go through, in the end of the gun with a washer behind the lid. I'm thinking about trying some of the PVDF .22 autovials as well with a prefilter built in, because of a great deal i've found on the net, but from using the regular syringe filters that were had PVDF and were .22 I'm honestly scared to buy them because it's a really big quantity deal. I know the nylon ones are great but I'm wondering if the PVDF would work better also and if it would still take hours to filter hardly anything with these autovials made of PVDF as well. IT's such an awesome awesome deal I hate to pass it up, but if they take as long as the reg. syr. filters it'd be a complete waste because I'm not spending 2-3 hours to filter 20ml's or so. It's just not worth it when I can spend $6 plus shipping and filter 80-90mls in an hour tops. Probably twice if i wanted in an hour.

Has anyone ever been able to use a filter with a PVDF membrane and a pore size of .22 micron with a prefilter and not had to spend hours just to get 10mls to go through their filter???