Chemistry Guru's can someone explain this...

unfknblvbl89

Board Supporter
Awards
Cimetidine HCl is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist. Chemically it is guanidine, N''- cyano-N-methyl-N¢- [2-[[(5-methyl-1H-imidazol-4-yl)methyl]thio]-ethyl]-monohydrochloride.

It is a med that is prescribed to my youngest girl to treat Gastroesophagel (sp) Reflux Disease. On the warnings it states that it may cause hair loss, increased sweating, anxiety, change in sex drive, breast enlargement in males and taste in change perceptions. My wife and I were wondering if it is steroidal. No I am not planning on taking it. We were just wondering if the **** is really that bad and maybe talk to the doc about changing her meds. She'e only two and that seems like alot of **** for a 2 yr old to go through. Hell maybe we are thinking to deep into it.

Mods- I posted this here thinking it would get a better response. My bad if it's in the wrong area

RRAdam

Awards
AKA tagament... it is an antihistime that is used to treat heartburn/acid reflux... it has been replaced by the likes of prilosec and prevacid in most cases, though thats what has been prescribed in this instance. It is not steroidal.

im not a chemist or a doctor... but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night

RRAdam

Awards
from pubmed

PIP: The number of persons with drug induced sexual dysfunction has risen simultaneously with the unending increase in the number of commercially available drugs. Sexual dysfunction may seriously impair the human psyche. Patients do not often admit to sexual dysfunction, however, so physicians often miss the symptoms entirely. In addition, they may attribute them to other causes, such as depression. Drugs disrupt all 3 neurophysiologic phases of sexual response (desire, excitement, and orgasm), especially in men, either causing a decrease or loss of libido, impotence (the most common symptom), or failure of ejaculation or anorgasmia. The mechanisms involved are not well understood. Researchers do know, however, that the drug cimetidine (Tagamet) blocks androgen receptors, decreases testosterone synthesis, and induces higher circulating levels of estradiol resulting in impotence and breast enlargement in men. Antihypertensive drugs have a higher frequency of causing sexual dysfunction, particularly impotence, than other drugs. Some also induce or worsen depression that can in turn cause or intensify sexual dysfunction. Both legal and illegal psychoactive drugs act on multiple sites thus often stimulating sexual dysfunction. Further, some hormonal drugs also induce sexual side effects, such as norethindrone and progesterone. Physicians who prescribe a drug associated with sexual side effects should inform patients about their possible occurrence and recommend that they be aware of the symptoms. They should ask these patients do not usually offer this information themselves. If sexual dysfunction develops, physicians can reduce the dosage or switch to an alternative drug. At that time, they should express optimism that the sexual dysfunction will cease.

and another

Drugs are a very common cause of gynecomastia and should always be entertained as the possible causal agent of such a condition. This drug side-effect is due to an impaired balance in the serum estrogen/serum androgen ratio, whatever the mechanism, or a rise in prolactin level. Sex hormones, antiandrogens, are frequently involved as well as spironolactone, cimetidine, verapamil and cancer chemotherapy (especially alkylating agents). Diazepam, tricyclic antidepressants, neuroleptics, calcium channel blockers, captopril, digitalis glycosides, omeprazole, some antibiotics and growth hormone are all possibly, but less often, the responsible agent. Criteria of the French method for determining drug causality are discussed.

unfknblvbl89

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks man. I never remember to go to pubmed. How was the stay in the Holiday Inn:D