Stupid question: what to mix in?

J

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm a newb at conversions.

When mixing my oil/solvents with the powder, would it be easier to mix them in a beaker rather than in a vial? The beaker would be premarked with ml measurements, and it would be easier to draw the product out of a beaker for filtering than it would be to draw it out of a vial (or at least it seems that way to me).

/karp

M

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
beaker is easier but don't use the marks on the side, get a graduated cylinder for measuring out your oils..

J

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I had been planning on using the marks on the side as a general reference, but measuring the oils with syringes.

Thanks for the response.

/karp

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Try this:

With the knowledge that 1 mL of water = 1 gram you could add water to the tared beaker until the desired mass was obtained. Let's say you wanted to mark 50 mL ACCURATELY on ANY glass container. Simply take the glass container and tare it on the scale. Now, add water slowly until it registers 50.0 grams. Mark the level on the side with a permanent marker...VOILA! You have an accurate measure of 50 mL!

You can use this method to determine any amount needed (25, 75, 100, ...) as long as your scale can handle the weight of the glass container + desired volume.

Enjoy!

Chemo

J

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
lol... That's actually a really good point. I was a bio major for 2 years, took plenty of chem and labs and whatnot, and I didn't even think of that.

Of course, I ended up with an Info Management and Technology degree, and I'm now going into my third year of law school, so I guess we all know how my persuit of science ended up.

Anyways, thanks for the tip - I can't believe I never thought of that.

/karp