T3 dosage question

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I've seen quite a few conflicting answers regarding what a baseline t3 dosage is, and how much is necessary to actually lose weight.

What amount is the consensus for what is basically just replacing what your body normally produces, thus putting you at a T3 baseline, and how much is needed to go above that a bit to actually lose fat?

Also, does anyone have a quote un quote "good" answer for why straight t3 is hardly ever prescribed for hypothyroidism? It's always a derivative of T4 first, like thyroxine that is prescribed, which mostly gets converted into T3 anyways. Is it just because for safety precautions it's best to get away with as little as you can to achieve the right amount for your body? Or is T4 really a better treatment for hypothyroidism than T3 would be?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My knowledge in this area is still very little, but I'd been researching as much as I could since I just found out I have hypothyroidism. My understanding is that the T4 is used because of the longer and more stable half-life and the conversion factor, rather than pouring T3 in, which would "replace" normal thyroid production.

Again, I could be off on that, but that's what I've come to understand it as.

As far as the amount of T3, I don't think you'll ever see one blanketed answer. The conflicting answers you've seen will always be that way. And I think a big part of that too, is the individual differences in terms of tolerance, and your normal thyroid production, etc.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
My knowledge in this area is still very little, but I'd been researching as much as I could since I just found out I have hypothyroidism. My understanding is that the T4 is used because of the longer and more stable half-life and the conversion factor, rather than pouring T3 in, which would "replace" normal thyroid production.

As far as the amount of T3, I don't think you'll ever see one blanketed answer. The conflicting answers you've seen will always be that way. And I think a big part of that too, is the individual differences in terms of tolerance, and your normal thyroid production, etc.

That does make sense. From what I read sometimes a combination of the two will be prescribed if T4 alone isn't enough, or that some people feel better on a combo of the two rather than just T4.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That does make sense. From what I read sometimes a combination of the two will be prescribed if T4 alone isn't enough, or that some people feel better on a combo of the two rather than just T4.
I could definitely understand feeling better with the T3 in there, too. I've read the same from a lot of people who have either had their thyroid completely removed or are just hypo. I'm still in the very early stages of things. I'm only 1 week in on 50mcg T4 and have to wait another 5 weeks before bloodwork once the levels are stabilized.

I was so far out of range, though, that I'm just assuming I'll end up with a double or triple dose before it's all said and done. And I also haven't noticed much in terms of a feel from this so far. We'll see.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Not even an increase in body temp?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Not even an increase in body temp?
No sir. Not noticeable, at least. But, I also don't notice the increase in body temp from most thermogenics, either.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
interesting. Did you have low body temp before? I mean was that like one of your symptoms of hypothyroidism?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
interesting. Did you have low body temp before? I mean was that like one of your symptoms of hypothyroidism?
Ya know, I've had a thermometer that I bought a few months back, but have just never used it. So, I don't really have a clue. However, I do feel incredibly warm in general (not internally). I have my house set at about 60 during the winter and everyone who comes over complains how cold it is, yet I walk around in just a pair of shorts comfortably.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Ya know, I've had a thermometer that I bought a few months back, but have just never used it. So, I don't really have a clue. However, I do feel incredibly warm in general (not internally). I have my house set at about 60 during the winter and everyone who comes over complains how cold it is, yet I walk around in just a pair of shorts comfortably.

I know this is a lot of questions, your situation just has me curious. Did they presribe a twice a day dosage for you, or just once a day? And what do you think about still being able to run stims/thermogenics now that you are on thyroid med?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know this is a lot of questions, your situation just has me curious. Did they presribe a twice a day dosage for you, or just once a day? And what do you think about still being able to run stims/thermogenics now that you are on thyroid med?
No worries, man. This situation has led me into doing more research in this area than I'd initially planned on, anyway.

The dosage I am on now is just 50mcg and taken 1st thing in the morning. I assume (because of my level being so far out of range as well as knowing several women who are taking 100mcg/day) that my dose will end up being doubled or tripled from what it is now before the right dose is found for optimal levels. The unfortunate thing is that it's a waiting game now because the wait for levels to be stable is 6 weeks (I can only assume the wait will be the same with any additional tweaks).

As far as thermogenics and stimulants go, I'm still using a pre-workout and I don't intend this to stop me from using either. There is a pretty extensive list of things that you're supposed to watch out for due to interactions (which my doctor told me nothing about - good thing I actually research what I take :rolleyes:), though.

One thing I'll say is hopefully once I have decent TSH levels, I won't feel the need to even mess with thermogenics for fat-burning. I know I was able to cut down to 208 last year and was pretty ripped at that point with these bunk levels, so hopefully things will be a little easier from here on out.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established

Im sure this is the reason, but the discrepancy is humongous sometimes. You read threads on bodybuilding forums where people are saying you need to take more than 50mcg of T3 to really notice anything from it, because that's really just about only replacing what your body naturally produces anyways. So in that case, if you factor in the fact of someone already being hypothyroid, they would need even more than that to even be normal, lol.

But then you read on other general forums where people have started off taking 5-10mcg of T3 prescribed by their doc. And I mean I've taken T3 before, and I know what it feels like, and I can't imagine you would even notice anything on 5-10mcg of it. Not even close, that isn't nearly enough to make a difference I don't think.