How many hours do you sleep?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i know everyone should aim at about 8 or more hours..

i tend to get about 7 hours 30 mins regularly (as long as i dont take too much PWO)

im just interested in seeing some honesty about sleeping habits

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
wow really?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Sleeping and quality sleeping are two different things. Protein synthesis only happens when your body reaches deep sleep and your REM's are at their highest. So you could get 8 hours of bad sleep or 4 hours of good sleep and be better off.

Ideally I get around 8 on non work days and about 5 on work nights.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Sleeping and quality sleeping are two different things. Protein synthesis only happens when your body reaches deep sleep and your REM's are at their highest. So you could get 8 hours of bad sleep or 4 hours of good sleep and be better off.

Ideally I get around 8 on non work days and about 5 on work nights.
i agree.. though i though protien synthesis was constantly happening throughout the day, just to a lesser degree

do you work out the day after you only sleep 5 hours?

reason being, im getting like 7 30 every night and like 12+ on the weekends lol

and somehow im STILL tired, still making gains but, i dont get it

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
maybe 6 hours a day? 8 at the most

mikemd21289

mikemd21289

Awards
always shoot for 8 usually like 7, weekends like 8 to 10 on sunday :)

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd love to get 8, but i work and have kids that need to go to school then sports after school. So i'm lucky if i get 6. I don't remember what it's like to sleep past 7:00 am anymore.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i know everyone should aim at about 8 or more hours..

i tend to get about 7 hours 30 mins regularly (as long as i dont take too much PWO)

im just interested in seeing some honesty about sleeping habits
Everyone doesn't need to aim for >8 hours - everyone is different and therefore have different optimal sleeping periods. For example, I can get by on 1-3 hours, but 4-5 hours is when I'm at my best, and anything over ~6 hours starts affecting me in negative ways - if I sleep anything more than ~6 hours, then something is wrong.

~Rosie~

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone doesn't need to aim for >8 hours - everyone is different and therefore have different optimal sleeping periods. For example, I can get by on 1-3 hours, but 4-5 hours is when I'm at my best, and anything over ~6 hours starts affecting me in negative ways - if I sleep anything more than ~6 hours, then something is wrong.

~Rosie~
Getting by on 1 hour of sleep is crazy i don't believe it. That's just unhealthy, you might think your getting by but it's not good for you at all. IMO

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting by on 1 hour of sleep is crazy i don't believe it. That's just unhealthy, you might think your getting by but it's not good for you at all. IMO
I never said it was good for me, but yeah, I can get by with it - believe me or not doesn't matter (those I've lived with know what I am like), and what works for me is irrelevant for anyone else.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I never said it was good for me, but yeah, I can get by with it - believe me or not doesn't matter (those I've lived with know what I am like), and what works for me is irrelevant for anyone else.
I'm not saying i don't believe you, i'm saying i don't believe that you think it's ok, because whether or not you're used to it, or get by on it, it's still unhealthy.

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
Ummm 6 during school time and 9, cause i go more hardcore on the workout, during brakes. It matters if its good sleep or not. Also from what i've read sleep is 90 minute cycles so you want to aim for 7.5-9 hours. 8 is in middle of cycle.
Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Rosie, how much caffeine to you take in daily?

I get 8 hrs a night and after a workout I tend to need more like 9.5hrs.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
from 8-830pm to midnight I'm out.....after that I fall back asleep around 4, just in time to get up at 5 :D

So 5 is good average :D

IDK why but I don't like it!!

I gave up tobacco like 5 mos ago, so that can't be it.......WhoTF knows!!!

And for some damn reason, sleeping pills give me a "fight to stay awake" feeling, although I'm just listening to myself breathe, trying to shut my mind off and drift away.....its stupid, really.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
i agree.. though i though protien synthesis was constantly happening throughout the day, just to a lesser degree

do you work out the day after you only sleep 5 hours?

reason being, im getting like 7 30 every night and like 12+ on the weekends lol

and somehow im STILL tired, still making gains but, i dont get it
Stages 3-4 are non-REM sleep. They are deep sleeping cycles and account for much recovery. Full REM sleep accounts for the rest of recovery, most notably to the brain. This is when the body is at total rest and brain function slows down. Stage 3-4, and Full REM, are when the muscles recover with protein synthesis and the brain recovers with neurotransmitters at thier lowest. I would think that protein synthesis would not occur much when we are awake because we are constantly moving, thus breaking down muscle. I also personally know when I have a great workout for a few days straight my body craves power naps, which could mean that it hits deep sleep levels and recovers. I am far from an expert though, so if anyone knows about the subject please help us out.

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
I sleep 7-8 hours a night and don't need a nap in the day. If i get 6 or less, I definitely need a 1-2 hour nap. Sleep is conducive to a healthy well-performing body. I have heard most professional athletes sleep at least 10 hours a night and pro bodybuilders even more.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not saying i don't believe you, i'm saying i don't believe that you think it's ok, because whether or not you're used to it, or get by on it, it's still unhealthy.
Whoever said I think it's ok? I know when something is detrimental or destructive - trust me, I have years of experience. Go back and read my posts again - there is no more need to discuss this.

Rosie, how much caffeine to you take in daily?

I get 8 hrs a night and after a workout I tend to need more like 9.5hrs.
When I'm using stimulants, a few grams, and then additional stimulant compounds as well - right now I am not using anything. Whether I use stimulants/caffeine or not does not really make a difference on my sleeping habits - they don't keep me awake, if that's what you wondering, LOL

~Rosie~

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Prove it:pokey: JK
But seriously i get about 7 hr if i get much more then the next day i just can't get to sleep.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I shoot for getting 7, am happy if I end up with more than 5, can function on as little as 2 for as much as 3 nites in a row. Luckily after a couple 2 hour sleep nights, i generally get a good nights sleep. Even using meds, its hard for me to regularly get full nights sleep. There was a point where OTC products worked well enough, now not even prescription works all that well. Some days HGHPro works, some days even trazadone doesn't.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whoever said I think it's ok? I know when something is detrimental or destructive - trust me, I have years of experience. Go back and read my posts again - there is no more need to discuss this.

When I'm using stimulants, a few grams, and then additional stimulant compounds as well - right now I am not using anything. Whether I use stimulants/caffeine or not does not really make a difference on my sleeping habits - they don't keep me awake, if that's what you wondering, LOL

~Rosie~
Damn Rosie!! I take about 1,000mgs a caffeine a day and thought I was bad. But 2-3 GRAMS!! You're my hero... I would die from a massive heart attack haha

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prove it:pokey: JK
But seriously i get about 7 hr if i get much more then the next day i just can't get to sleep.
Just ask my husband for one, LOL (he's on here), and I've stayed with a few of the folks here :toofunny:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find once I get much past 2.5g caffeine in a day that it starts having the reverse response, and starts making me sleepy. So I try and modulate, keep caffeine lower than that, but add in other stims ;)

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I find once I get much past 2.5g caffeine in a day that it starts having the reverse response, and starts making me sleepy. So I try and modulate, keep caffeine lower than that, but add in other stims ;)
I've never had a reverse effect from caffeine and I agree caffeine should be stacked with other stims.

I have had a reverse effect from sleeping pills though.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
ironic i know, i posted this thread last night... i got into bed around 1130 and couldnt fall asleep till 5... then i had to wake up at 645... even with 50mg seroquel and 20 mg of melatonin..... oh yeah.. and powerfull too

its the worst feeling ever, being in bed praying for 8 hrs of sleep..... then 2am comes around and im still awake... then 3...4...5..

i feel like **** all day when this happens... i wish i could get by on an hour...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn Rosie!! I take about 1,000mgs a caffeine a day and thought I was bad. But 2-3 GRAMS!! You're my hero... I would die from a massive heart attack haha
Trust me, I'm not without health issues (without my training, I'd probably literally be dead) - but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to function :drillsergeant: :spank:

neverstop

Awards
  • Established
less than 6 and i notice it, I probably average about 6 when I'm doing ok

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
4-5 hours on work days. Usually a solid 8 one day on the weekend, and depending on my body 9- 10 hours on the other day on the weekend. Crazy I know!!!

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
one of the advantages of working from home is that i get to wake up when i wake up. sometimes at 8am, sometimes at 10am. that makes me wake up rested regardless of hours. but in general around 8 to 9 hours. i cannot function on anything under 7

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Go to sleep between 9 or 10 pm and wakeup at 4:30 to 5:30 am. Might nap 30 to 120 minutes around 11am-1pm though.

DBdude

DBdude

Awards
  • Established
7h on college nights, 10h weekends and 14h on mornings after I'm out all night :fingersx:

Destructi0n

Destructi0n

Awards
8-12 per night

n87

Awards
  • Established
Work compressed shift nights, not physical work. Sleep about 6 hrs, a little more on weekends. But I switch to days on weekends, so the sleep pattern is somewhat screwed up.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

~Rosie~
Yeah that's where I was going. I know a few people that can make it on 5 hrs of sleep a day but require a gram of caffeine to make it through the day. Maybe you just get more quality sleep in those few hours than some that toss and turn for 8 hrs.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that's where I was going. I know a few people that can make it on 5 hrs of sleep a day but require a gram of caffeine to make it through the day. Maybe you just get more quality sleep in those few hours than some that toss and turn for 8 hrs.
When I sleep, I SLEEP. I used to be so light a sleeper that a pin dropping would literally wake me up, but now, once I am out, I am generally OUT, and I don't wake until my body wakes (body clock falls easily back into the 1-3 or 4-5 hour period re sleep). My sleep is definitely deep and quality - it's the same as anything else: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.

Just a note though, that for a couple of weeks I have had NO stimulants and I have been GREAT (almost first time ever!) - primarily thanks to Assault and the Suma Root in it (as well as the Rhodiola Rosea that I dose not too long before it) :)

~Rosie~

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why is this in the anabolic section?

Edit: because sleep is anabolic.

(just because I know I'm gonna get at least one smart as$ remark lol)

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
Less than 6 on weekdays and that's being liberal. Often it is far less.... I have a 2 hour drive to work every morning. But bills are bills, and you have to do what you have to do to survive. (unless of course the lack of sleep kills me)

Luckily I have an amazing fiance that understands and lets me sleep when i can get it!!

cvs766

Awards
I make sure I get 8-9 hours every night; 9-10 on friday/saturday nights.
I need my sleep haha.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
10 hours or more every week i pull 1 all nighter
College work induced all nighters are awful. Now the other kind... :mischievous: