What are "back pumps?"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. What are "back pumps?"


    I often see guys on PH's talking about taking Taurine to deal with their back pumps.

    Having never tried a PH, I don't know what this is.

    Could someone please explain?

    Thanks!


  2. I don't know how to describe it, but it aches like hell, and for some reason I get them without being on cycle, lucky me. Its sorta like a stiff feeling, so some stretching does help a lil, but I take taurine and gatorade, too.

    I think its just the blood flow or something and your lower back is always under tension from holding up your upper body all day so it gets "pumped", like any other muscle would while your working it.
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!

  3. Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    I often see guys on PH's talking about taking Taurine to deal with their back pumps.

    Having never tried a PH, I don't know what this is.

    Could someone please explain?

    Thanks!
    Its something to look forward to when you pop your cherry, especially if you deadlift regularly.
    •   
       


  4. its maily due to glycogen retention mixed with a litle bit of taurine deficiency
  5. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    If you ever do Good Mornings or lower back extensions (and deadlifts if you go down far enough), it's the same feeling you get from working your lower back hard when you feel the muscle "pumped" or flexed.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

  6. Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    If you ever do Good Mornings or lower back extensions (and deadlifts if you go down far enough), it's the same feeling you get from working your lower back hard when you feel the muscle "pumped" or flexed.
    x2 Plus its 10x worse!!!!

  7. a proprietary blend of cramps+pumps+ I think someone back then said it was a sign of kidney irritation ??
    PM me about my peptide research findings

  8. Feels like you tore you lower back....
    Prevents me from sleeping, and it just sucks....

  9. It's mainly from too much blood being forced through your kidneys. Taurine acts as a vasidilator here, relieving the pressure. There is also a milder form of backpump which is just when your erector spinae get too pumped (like from doing deadlifts). All orals have a tendency to do this.

  10. Thanks, guys.

    Sounds like if I ever do experience these, taurine is the way to go.

    I'm sure that is available in either a powder or capsule form, right? And it would be taken before one's workout to ease the soon-to-be back pumps.

    And I am sure that you have to play with the dosage to see what works for your particular body.

    Cool. Thanks again, all!

  11. I just get NOW Taurine in big ole 1000mg horse pills.

    Also, IDK if its the taurine or caffiene, but the monster energy drinks (low or no carb) help me out, too.

    And I've read that if your kidneys are swollen they'll cause some discomfort, but don't how true it is.
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!
  12. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    I've been using about 9g of taurine with my pre-workout and it's pretty much made them completely non-existent (other than when I actually do focus on lower back lift days). I didn't use it until I actually noticed any problems (so for the first several weeks I didn't use any). I opt for powder and just put it in with my pre-workout.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

  13. Yeah, just buy the bulk powder and take like 5g pre-workout. It doesn't taste like much (just a slight sweet/metallic taste).

  14. you guys are taking 5-9 grams of taurine at a time? no sh!t.....I guess I oughta up the ante as I've been taking maybe 2-3g a day...no wonder I'm always crabby LOL
    True story:

    I give a f**K!!
  15. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    MidwestBeast's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by waynaferd View Post
    you guys are taking 5-9 grams of taurine at a time? no sh!t.....I guess I oughta up the ante as I've been taking maybe 2-3g a day...no wonder I'm always crabby LOL
    Well, that's just where I've found my sweet spot.

    Most guys always said 5-10 was what they were using. Mine has a 1.5g scoop (lol) and I started off with like 3g. Still got the pumps a bit, bumped to 6g, better, but still there. Jumped to 9g - boom, non-existent.

    So, I don't think there's a clear-cut answer for all to follow - just start out w/ an amount and toy with it til you find that they aren't an issue anymore.

    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | Inspire to Evolve
    AnabolicMinds Rep

  16. Quote Originally Posted by mich29 View Post
    its maily due to glycogen retention mixed with a litle bit of taurine deficiency
    How do you know this? This is according to whom?

  17. Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Feels like you tore you lower back....
    Prevents me from sleeping, and it just sucks....
    This has been my experience as well.

  18. They suuuuuccccckkkk! Shin/calf pumps are also a runners nightmare.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

  19. Quote Originally Posted by mich29 View Post
    its maily due to glycogen retention mixed with a litle bit of taurine deficiency
    I though it had to do with blood volume?
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

  20. Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    I though it had to do with blood volume?
    ... and pressure, yes.

  21. It's certainly caused by some combination of excess bloodflow to the kidneys + erector spinae and glycogen retention. Either way, it has nothing to do with estrogenic water retention and can be remedied with Taurine (and creatine and potassium to a lesser degree).

  22. Nowhere do I see anyone saying that back pumps are brought on by the use of PH's.

    Sounds like anyone can get them at anytime, depending on the situation!

  23. Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Nowhere do I see anyone saying that back pumps are brought on by the use of PH's.

    Sounds like anyone can get them at anytime, depending on the situation!
    Could you be more clear?
    Plenty of "PHs" (oral steroids) have a high potential for causing back pumps. Superdrol is notorious for this, and M1T was the worst back in the day. The others all do as well. The only ones unlikely to are 4-ad and 1,4-AD (since test and boldenone don't do this much).

  24. Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    They suuuuuccccckkkk! Shin/calf pumps are also a runners nightmare.
    I hate the calf pumps, this is my first cycle and i got back and calf pumps for real and they suck ass. I'm starting the taurine pills today. shooting for 5 grams to start.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    I hate the calf pumps, this is my first cycle and i got back and calf pumps for real and they suck ass. I'm starting the taurine pills today. shooting for 5 grams to start.
    You should have just gotten the bulk powder.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    You should have just gotten the bulk powder.
    I wanted to man, I went to a local vitamin retailer bc i simply couldn't wait for any to be shipped to me. And for whatever reason they didn't have any damn powder only pills.

  27. I always say the good o' PH pumps is your liver kicking you saying "why are you doing this to me, I thought we were friends!" Lol
    To get un-naturally big, you gotta do un-natural things

  28. Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I always say the good o' PH pumps is your liver kicking you saying "why are you doing this to me, I thought we were friends!" Lol
    See, I thought it was my kidneys going on strike.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    I hate the calf pumps, this is my first cycle and i got back and calf pumps for real and they suck ass. I'm starting the taurine pills today. shooting for 5 grams to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    You should have just gotten the bulk powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    I wanted to man, I went to a local vitamin retailer bc i simply couldn't wait for any to be shipped to me. And for whatever reason they didn't have any damn powder only pills.
    Bulk Taurine is very grainy and sinks to the bottom of any liquid... it is effective though, keeps the cramps at bay while on Clenbuterol.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Bulk Taurine is very grainy and sinks to the bottom of any liquid... it is effective though, keeps the cramps at bay while on Clenbuterol.
    Try putting it in hot water. It dissolves completely.

  31. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Try putting it in hot water. It dissolves completely.
    I've done similar with creatine mono powder. tastes like sh*t but who cares i suppose. but regardless of the water temperature the solution will become saturated at some point and you will have grains in the bottom if you do not use enough water

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    I've done similar with creatine mono powder. tastes like sh*t but who cares i suppose. but regardless of the water temperature the solution will become saturated at some point and you will have grains in the bottom if you do not use enough water
    Well yeah, that's physical science 101.
    But just a few oz of piping hot water is enough to fully dissolve 5g of taurine and another 5g of creatine.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Well yeah, that's physical science 101.
    But just a few oz of piping hot water is enough to fully dissolve 5g of taurine and another 5g of creatine.
    whats wrong with taking the powder straight and washin it down with water? I've been doing that with glutamine, taurine, creatine, and GABA. Its alot easier and faster
    To get un-naturally big, you gotta do un-natural things

  34. taurine always works great for me...mix it in some gatorade

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Try putting it in hot water. It dissolves completely.
    Thanks I usually do shotgun it, but I also sip on it during my workout if I am on cycle or taking clen to alleviate cramping throughout.

  36. Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    whats wrong with taking the powder straight and washin it down with water? I've been doing that with glutamine, taurine, creatine, and GABA. Its alot easier and faster
    Nothing really.
    Though I have had a crystal shard of Taurine stab me in the back of the throat by doing that (that **** is sharp!!).
    After that, I've been leery of eating crystalline powders and try to dissolve them.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Nothing really.
    Though I have had a crystal shard of Taurine stab me in the back of the throat by doing that (that **** is sharp!!).
    After that, I've been leery of eating crystalline powders and try to dissolve them.
    Is this common? It must've been pretty good size to stab your throat

  38. An imbalance caused by aldosterone, this was typically considered as the issue with back pumps when using oral AAS


  39. Quote Originally Posted by Orangatang View Post
    Is this common? It must've been pretty good size to stab your throat
    Some of the shards are like 2mm long and very sharp. It must have caught me just right :/
    Either way, it hurt like hell. lol

  40. Quote Originally Posted by Gator 87 View Post
    Some of the shards are like 2mm long and very sharp. It must have caught me just right :/
    Either way, it hurt like hell. lol
    wow, what company made the taurine with the concealed dagger?
    To get un-naturally big, you gotta do un-natural things
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What exactly is meant by "back pumps"?
    By triton185 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
  2. 3-AD: Putting "thesinner" back in "synergy"
    By thesinner in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 266
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:58 PM
  3. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
  4. "Back Pumps"
    By T-Bone in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 09:43 AM
  5. Back "Width" and Back "Thickness"
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Log in
Log in