What are "back pumps?"

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I often see guys on PH's talking about taking Taurine to deal with their back pumps.

Having never tried a PH, I don't know what this is.

Could someone please explain?

Thanks!

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how to describe it, but it aches like hell, and for some reason I get them without being on cycle, lucky me. Its sorta like a stiff feeling, so some stretching does help a lil, but I take taurine and gatorade, too.

I think its just the blood flow or something and your lower back is always under tension from holding up your upper body all day so it gets "pumped", like any other muscle would while your working it.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
I often see guys on PH's talking about taking Taurine to deal with their back pumps.

Having never tried a PH, I don't know what this is.

Could someone please explain?

Thanks!
Its something to look forward to when you pop your cherry, especially if you deadlift regularly.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its maily due to glycogen retention mixed with a litle bit of taurine deficiency

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you ever do Good Mornings or lower back extensions (and deadlifts if you go down far enough), it's the same feeling you get from working your lower back hard when you feel the muscle "pumped" or flexed.

maniac0614

Awards
  • Established
If you ever do Good Mornings or lower back extensions (and deadlifts if you go down far enough), it's the same feeling you get from working your lower back hard when you feel the muscle "pumped" or flexed.
x2 Plus its 10x worse!!!!

pilip99

pilip99

Awards
  • Established
a proprietary blend of cramps+pumps+ I think someone back then said it was a sign of kidney irritation ??

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Feels like you tore you lower back....
Prevents me from sleeping, and it just sucks....

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
It's mainly from too much blood being forced through your kidneys. Taurine acts as a vasidilator here, relieving the pressure. There is also a milder form of backpump which is just when your erector spinae get too pumped (like from doing deadlifts). All orals have a tendency to do this.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, guys.

Sounds like if I ever do experience these, taurine is the way to go.

I'm sure that is available in either a powder or capsule form, right? And it would be taken before one's workout to ease the soon-to-be back pumps.

And I am sure that you have to play with the dosage to see what works for your particular body.

Cool. Thanks again, all!

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
I just get NOW Taurine in big ole 1000mg horse pills.

Also, IDK if its the taurine or caffiene, but the monster energy drinks (low or no carb) help me out, too.

And I've read that if your kidneys are swollen they'll cause some discomfort, but don't how true it is.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using about 9g of taurine with my pre-workout and it's pretty much made them completely non-existent (other than when I actually do focus on lower back lift days). I didn't use it until I actually noticed any problems (so for the first several weeks I didn't use any). I opt for powder and just put it in with my pre-workout.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, just buy the bulk powder and take like 5g pre-workout. It doesn't taste like much (just a slight sweet/metallic taste).

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
you guys are taking 5-9 grams of taurine at a time? no sh!t.....I guess I oughta up the ante as I've been taking maybe 2-3g a day...no wonder I'm always crabby LOL

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you guys are taking 5-9 grams of taurine at a time? no sh!t.....I guess I oughta up the ante as I've been taking maybe 2-3g a day...no wonder I'm always crabby LOL
Well, that's just where I've found my sweet spot.

Most guys always said 5-10 was what they were using. Mine has a 1.5g scoop (lol) and I started off with like 3g. Still got the pumps a bit, bumped to 6g, better, but still there. Jumped to 9g - boom, non-existent.

So, I don't think there's a clear-cut answer for all to follow - just start out w/ an amount and toy with it til you find that they aren't an issue anymore.

:)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
They suuuuuccccckkkk! Shin/calf pumps are also a runners nightmare.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its maily due to glycogen retention mixed with a litle bit of taurine deficiency
I though it had to do with blood volume?

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
It's certainly caused by some combination of excess bloodflow to the kidneys + erector spinae and glycogen retention. Either way, it has nothing to do with estrogenic water retention and can be remedied with Taurine (and creatine and potassium to a lesser degree).

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Nowhere do I see anyone saying that back pumps are brought on by the use of PH's.

Sounds like anyone can get them at anytime, depending on the situation!

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Nowhere do I see anyone saying that back pumps are brought on by the use of PH's.

Sounds like anyone can get them at anytime, depending on the situation!
Could you be more clear?
Plenty of "PHs" (oral steroids) have a high potential for causing back pumps. Superdrol is notorious for this, and M1T was the worst back in the day. The others all do as well. The only ones unlikely to are 4-ad and 1,4-AD (since test and boldenone don't do this much).

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
They suuuuuccccckkkk! Shin/calf pumps are also a runners nightmare.
I hate the calf pumps, this is my first cycle and i got back and calf pumps for real and they suck ass. I'm starting the taurine pills today. shooting for 5 grams to start.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
I hate the calf pumps, this is my first cycle and i got back and calf pumps for real and they suck ass. I'm starting the taurine pills today. shooting for 5 grams to start.
You should have just gotten the bulk powder.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to man, I went to a local vitamin retailer bc i simply couldn't wait for any to be shipped to me. And for whatever reason they didn't have any damn powder only pills.

DBdude

DBdude

Awards
  • Established
I always say the good o' PH pumps is your liver kicking you saying "why are you doing this to me, I thought we were friends!" Lol

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
I always say the good o' PH pumps is your liver kicking you saying "why are you doing this to me, I thought we were friends!" Lol
See, I thought it was my kidneys going on strike.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to man, I went to a local vitamin retailer bc i simply couldn't wait for any to be shipped to me. And for whatever reason they didn't have any damn powder only pills.
Bulk Taurine is very grainy and sinks to the bottom of any liquid... it is effective though, keeps the cramps at bay while on Clenbuterol.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Bulk Taurine is very grainy and sinks to the bottom of any liquid... it is effective though, keeps the cramps at bay while on Clenbuterol.
Try putting it in hot water. It dissolves completely.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
I've done similar with creatine mono powder. tastes like sh*t but who cares i suppose. but regardless of the water temperature the solution will become saturated at some point and you will have grains in the bottom if you do not use enough water

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
I've done similar with creatine mono powder. tastes like sh*t but who cares i suppose. but regardless of the water temperature the solution will become saturated at some point and you will have grains in the bottom if you do not use enough water
Well yeah, that's physical science 101.
But just a few oz of piping hot water is enough to fully dissolve 5g of taurine and another 5g of creatine.

DBdude

DBdude

Awards
  • Established
Well yeah, that's physical science 101.
But just a few oz of piping hot water is enough to fully dissolve 5g of taurine and another 5g of creatine.
whats wrong with taking the powder straight and washin it down with water? I've been doing that with glutamine, taurine, creatine, and GABA. Its alot easier and faster

rynie27

Awards
taurine always works great for me...mix it in some gatorade

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Thanks :) I usually do shotgun it, but I also sip on it during my workout if I am on cycle or taking clen to alleviate cramping throughout.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
whats wrong with taking the powder straight and washin it down with water? I've been doing that with glutamine, taurine, creatine, and GABA. Its alot easier and faster
Nothing really.
Though I have had a crystal shard of Taurine stab me in the back of the throat by doing that (that **** is sharp!!).
After that, I've been leery of eating crystalline powders and try to dissolve them.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
Nothing really.
Though I have had a crystal shard of Taurine stab me in the back of the throat by doing that (that **** is sharp!!).
After that, I've been leery of eating crystalline powders and try to dissolve them.
Is this common? It must've been pretty good size to stab your throat

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
An imbalance caused by aldosterone, this was typically considered as the issue with back pumps when using oral AAS

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
Is this common? It must've been pretty good size to stab your throat
Some of the shards are like 2mm long and very sharp. It must have caught me just right :/
Either way, it hurt like hell. lol

DBdude

DBdude

Awards
  • Established
Some of the shards are like 2mm long and very sharp. It must have caught me just right :/
Either way, it hurt like hell. lol
wow, what company made the taurine with the concealed dagger?

glpro

Awards
would back pumps be whats causing lower right side abdomen pain as well as middle back? i just started a cycle. thanks for any help.

SuperPro

SuperPro

Awards
I use a bulk powder taurine and that stuff has HUGE crystal clumps in it, I'm talking like a half inch long. I always just grab one of those clumps and throw some water in my mouth though, practically tasteless and dissolves immediately. No idea how many grams it is, just know about how much I need to get it workin'.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You have tips to get rid of low back pumps? Not all when I quit creatine and pre workout. They’d go away after a week or 2. This time I’m still getting them.
Are you on an Anabolic?

Taurine.
Lots of Water

Jd_gatlin

Awards
Are you on an Anabolic?

Taurine.
Lots of Water
nope never took one. I only ever took creatine and protein and pre workout. Normally. When I would quit creatine and pre workout the pumps would go away after a cpl weeks. This time they stayed. And I have taurine. How much a day?? And I drink like a gallon of water daily