nolva/zma and trouble sleeping

pcazar

Awards
Man wtf? Iven been on nolva/zma for the past 4 days now, and ever since i take them i cant sleep at all.

I even take prescribed sleeping pills and still cant sleep right.

I take them right before bed.

Any suggestions? What is keeping me awake? the nolva or zma?

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I used to get hot flashes from nolva that kept me awake, I started taking it in the morning & problem solved. Nolva has a long half-life, so it's effectiveness is the same regardless what time of day you take it.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Man wtf? Iven been on nolva/zma for the past 4 days now, and ever since i take them i cant sleep at all.

I even take prescribed sleeping pills and still cant sleep right.

I take them right before bed.

Any suggestions? What is keeping me awake? the nolva or zma?
My guess is its the ZMA. This stuff is touted as a sleep enhancer but I think that is total BS.

Its amazing. Not more than 30 minutes after I take that stuff my heart rate seems to pick up. So much so that there is no way I can sleep. I can feel it in my chest just thumping away. Maybe its the B-6.

The only way I've been able to sleep on that crap is if I take it right before I'm ready to drop off to sleep. And even then I am apt to wake up 4 hours later and possibly have major trouble getting back to sleep.

I just stay away from it now. Get your zinc and magnesium in other ways. ZMA is a totally optional supp and not worth the anguish.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
FWIW, I have taken ZMA about 1/2-1 hour before bed and 20mg Nolva at bedtime and slept like a log. My guesses to the causes for insomnia are:

1. Residual methylated substances in your body. (You did not say what you used on your cycle.)

2. High GI carbohydrates too close to bedtime. A small amount of fats (a teaspoon of natural peanut butter) and some slow digesting protein (lowfat cottage cheese or a slow digesting protein blend) is the way to go.

3. You did not allow yourself enough mental downtime before bed. Try reading or listening to some relaxing music.

Mike Oxlong

Awards
I used to take the zma right before bed and it helped me sleep tremendously. Then it started to upset my stomach and that would keep me up. Now I take it after supper and before my evening meal.

earnstaf

Awards
I was taking ZMA for about a month, not for PCT but just because... and I slept wonderfully. And the damn dreams......

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Two benedryl or 1/2 a unisom always put me out. 1gr of magnesium has also helped on occasion. As for bedtime shake....here'e mine: .5-1cup milk...1-2tbs natty pb.....1-2tbs fiber(phsyllium husks) 1 scoop whey.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've taken ZMA for several months straight when not oncycle. It's part of my regular suppliment regiment. I've found that I frequently sleep less time when taking ZMA but sleep more restfully than if I slept for 11 hours straight. I love the stuff. My girlfriend had trouble sleeping and I told her to try taking 2 before sleeping (with no food or pills for the next 30 minutes following taking it, and nothing for 1 hour beforehand). She says that she sleeps much better now. She used to get so tired she could barely stay awake by like 9PM. Now she is able to stay alert past 11PM if need be (she wakes up at 5AM every weekday).

Honestly I don't think it's the ZMA that's making it hard for you to sleep.

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've taken ZMA for several months straight when not oncycle. It's part of my regular suppliment regiment. I've found that I frequently sleep less time when taking ZMA but sleep more restfully than if I slept for 11 hours straight. I love the stuff. My girlfriend had trouble sleeping and I told her to try taking 2 before sleeping (with no food or pills for the next 30 minutes following taking it, and nothing for 1 hour beforehand). She says that she sleeps much better now. She used to get so tired she could barely stay awake by like 9PM. Now she is able to stay alert past 11PM if need be (she wakes up at 5AM every weekday).

Honestly I don't think it's the ZMA that's making it hard for you to sleep.
Amazing. Stuff might as well be caffeine pills for me.