Gaining muscle and losing fat

theslime

Awards
This will sound stupid...IS it possible to gain muscle and lose fat during the same period? I know that you technically need a calorie deficit to lose fat and a caloric surplus to gain muscle but what about people using AAS? I know that hgh studies reported that it was possible.

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
One word, profina.

That is the only thing I have ever ran and worked to do that.

theslime

Awards
Skye, how much weight and bodyfat % did you lose? How many calories were you taking in?

size

Awards
  • Established
One can do it but it is not easy. Diet and correct training is the key. However, neither the muscle gain or the fat loss will be quick.

Simple math will tell you that if you increase in LBM and do not add any fat then your %BF will decrease, a simple ratio.

theslime

Awards
One can do it but it is not easy. Diet and correct training is the key. However, neither the muscle gain or the fat loss will be quick.

Simple math will tell you that if you increase in LBM and do not add any fat then your %BF will decrease, a simple ratio.
I was wondering if it was actually possible to reduce bodyfat, not bodyfat %.

theslime

Awards

When you say correct training is the key, are you referring to
cardio?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
On day 18 now of my prop only cycle. Started at maintenance cals for first week and a half. Have lost almost an inch on my waistline while weight staying the same, albeit having the normal fluctuations. Diet however is very clean and strict and have my own formula for a weekly carb cycling protocol...

My strength is increasing all the while arm and chest measurments are increasing steadily...I can really notice myself leaning out just from looking in the mirror. That combined with weekly caliper readings and monitorings show that I have went down 2%'s in BF while my weight is the same, as stated above...

So IMO, if its' your first cycle, have your diet mapped out and to a "T", as well as your training, yes it can happen. However, the reality of it happening all the time and w/o proper diet evaluation, etc, don't count on it...genetics have a lot to do with it as well...

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
It is called recomposition and it is possible with or without the use of PH/PS. I have done it. However, as Size pointed out, It is a slow subtle process and you do have to have diet and training in order if you want to achive it. Three years ago I was a skinny fat 165 @ 15% to 17% Body fat. I initially dropped down to 7.5% bodyfat while adding 70lbs to my squat. Currently, I'm around 5% at 155 so even though I am lighter, I carry much more muscle so I look more muscular. Obviously this can happen a lot faster with the right drugs though.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i've tried this and it never works out well for me......if i plan to do this, i usually seperate my cycles into two portions, weeks 1-6 bulking and weeks 7-12 cutting or something similar. Seems to work out much better for me than trying to do both at the same time. You may be different.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
i've tried this and it never works out well for me......if i plan to do this, i usually seperate my cycles into two portions, weeks 1-6 bulking and weeks 7-12 cutting or something similar. Seems to work out much better for me than trying to do both at the same time. You may be different.
Yup, Everybody's diferent and that is part of the game we play. We all need to find out what works best for us, but the fundamental rules are the same. ;)

There are many paths to the center of the circle, but the destination(or goal) is always the same. :cool:

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I have done this several times now, but it seems much easier to do at a higher bf% than a lower IMO....something to think about :)

theslime

Awards
I have done this several times now, but it seems much easier to do at a higher bf% than a lower IMO....something to think about :)
Well, I let myself go the past few months because I had multiple injuries and couldn't train very hard so I'm pretty fat. I'm at 22% BF (I know that's real high), 5'10 and 210 lbs. I'll see how my body reacts to the gh I started two weeks ago (5 i.u.'S a day). If I don'T see acceptable improvements within two months, I guess I'll have to cut calories even more (I'm at 3000 cal/day right now). I have prop on hand but will wait a bit, my injuries are still bothering me and I don't want to make things worse. Does that make sense?

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well, I let myself go the past few months because I had multiple injuries and couldn't train very hard so I'm pretty fat. I'm at 22% BF (I know that's real high), 5'10 and 210 lbs. I'll see how my body reacts to the gh I started two weeks ago (5 i.u.'S a day). If I don'T see acceptable improvements within two months, I guess I'll have to cut calories even more (I'm at 3000 cal/day right now). I have prop on hand but will wait a bit, my injuries are still bothering me and I don't want to make things worse. Does that make sense?
i think you should work on diet and seriously focus on losing fat and not worry about building muscle for a while, JMO

theslime

Awards
i think you should work on diet and seriously focus on losing fat and not worry about building muscle for a while, JMO
You're probably right. I'm not a bodybuilder though, strength is my main concern. So I don't want to go down too much or else I find that my strength goes dow the drain. Ideally, I would like to stay around 15 %. I'm still far from it, I know :( .

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. However, if you want to use the prop, just use it to preserve muscle while you diet. And definitly get nutrition and training in order to maximize fat burning. Do you do any cardio?

theslime

Awards
Agreed. However, if you want to use the prop, just use it to preserve muscle while you diet. And definitly get nutrition and training in order to maximize fat burning. Do you do any cardio?
I read that test is detrimental to joints, so I'll probably wait to use it since I still feel pain from old injuries.I'm hoping the gh will help in preserving the muscle. As for cardio, I'm not doing any as of now. I think I'll wait a few weeks to see how it goes. If progress is not going as planned, Ill add cardio. I don't want to lose weight too fast (not more than 2-3 lbs a weeks), Last year, I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks on a 2500 cal diet. I'll try to go slower this year, I'M afraid my strength will go down as well...

ruffneck

ruffneck

Awards
It sounds like you are wanting to take the easy way out by taking GH instead of getting diet in check and doing some cardio. Muscle has memory so it will come back fast especially with the help of the Prop. If your at 22% you wont notice if your losing muscle as much as you will notice your muscle starting to look better. Get the bf down first then build the muscle back up.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I read that test is detrimental to joints, so I'll probably wait to use it since I still feel pain from old injuries.I'm hoping the gh will help in preserving the muscle. As for cardio, I'm not doing any as of now. I think I'll wait a few weeks to see how it goes. If progress is not going as planned, Ill add cardio. I don't want to lose weight too fast (not more than 2-3 lbs a weeks), Last year, I lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks on a 2500 cal diet. I'll try to go slower this year, I'M afraid my strength will go down as well...
Ruffneck is right. You need to work on NUTRITION and training(weights AND cardio.) If you lost 30 pounds on a hypocaloric diet with no cardio, then you can bet your strength(pun intended) that half of it was muscle. :rolleyes:

There are no easy ways to do what you want to do. If you look for a shortcut, your results will be less than satisfactory. Not to mention temporary. Diddnt mean to lecture, I'm just trying to be as realistic and honest as possible here. ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is possible in the initial stages of cutting cycles as the androgens kick in but if your going for extreme low bf% and the cycle resembles a 16 week precontest, it won't happen. You eventually lose a little bit.

Glow

Awards
I know it sounds wired but it is possible to lose weight and gain muscles. I will focus on how women can do this. Yes it is a tricky proposition since it may require that you eat enough to help you put on muscles and avoid eating too much calories lest you end up increasing your weight. So you should always choose what you eat. You must ensure that the muscles are well fed and at the same time tap into the fat stores. So how can this be done? It is advisable that you perform both resistant training and high intensity cardio. Here are some tricks you can rely on.
Eat more protein. You should not fear eating more protein
1. Bump Up Your Protein Consumption. For every pound of weight you carry, eat 2 grams of protein. You may also need to have the protein spread evenly in the day. This way, it tells the body not to breakout muscles. Your weight should help you determine the amount of protein to eat. If you are 150 pounds, you need 300 grams per day.
2. Subject the muscles to some training. Integrate compound movements such as deadlifts, squats, rows and presses. They will allow you to lift most weights and will stimulate muscle mass. The moves will allow you to lift most weight. Incorporate high rep training and incorporate heavy and resistant training.
3. Cut your Carbs.
Of course everyone knows that cutting carbs is mandatory. But in this program, you don’t cut them completely. Instead, we plan to optimize the carbs. You should consume them two hours before your workout. This way, you utilise the carbs during the workout. Eating 1.5 carbs per pound of weight could help you.
Health fats- You don’t need to slash your fats instead eat heathy fats which are ideal in helping maintain beautiful skin and nails. They help maintain optimal cell structure and hormone levels which are critical in supporting the muscles and keeping you full.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know it sounds wired but it is possible to lose weight and gain muscles. I will focus on how women can do this. Yes it is a tricky proposition since it may require that you eat enough to help you put on muscles and avoid eating too much calories lest you end up increasing your weight. So you should always choose what you eat. You must ensure that the muscles are well fed and at the same time tap into the fat stores. So how can this be done? It is advisable that you perform both resistant training and high intensity cardio. Here are some tricks you can rely on.
1. Bump Up Your Protein Consumption. For every pound of weight you carry, eat 2 grams of protein. You may also need to have the protein spread evenly in the day. This way, it tells the body not to breakout muscles. Your weight should help you determine the amount of protein to eat. If you are 150 pounds, you need 300 grams per day.
2. Subject the muscles to some training. Integrate compound movements such as deadlifts, squats, rows and presses. They will allow you to lift most weights and will stimulate muscle mass. The moves will allow you to lift most weight. Incorporate high rep training and incorporate heavy and resistant training.
3. Cut your Carbs.
Of course everyone knows that cutting carbs is mandatory. But in this program, you don’t cut them completely. Instead, we plan to optimize the carbs. You should consume them two hours before your workout. This way, you utilise the carbs during the workout. Eating 1.5 carbs per pound of weight could help you.
Health fats- You don’t need to slash your fats instead eat heathy fats which are ideal in helping maintain beautiful skin and nails. They help maintain optimal cell structure and hormone levels which are critical in supporting the muscles and keeping you full.
You bumped a 15 year old thread to offer this generic pile of garbage? Strong posting as ever

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
3. Cut your Carbs.
No you can’t do this without steroids or if you Aren’t a beginner to weight lifting. Stop spreading misinformation

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No you can’t do this without steroids or if you Aren’t a beginner to weight lifting. Stop spreading misinformation
This joker does it on loads of threads - he suggested someone take 5g of a sarm per day on another one ffs (maybe not be the exact amount he said as I can’t be bothered to look back but it was an utterly ridiculous amount).

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Back in 2006 i was training doing the basics 3 x 10, 4-5 days a week training muscle groups every other day. Wasnt really having breakfast either most days and diet consisted of mainly rice/chicken/red meat/carbs. Supplements were Maxi Muscles Cyclone Protein and M1-T 10mg along with a least 5-6 pints of water a day.

I lost shed loads of fat and put on muscle. Of course it can be done.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doing it as we speak. Tren is perfect for this. I cut carbs down some and added 45min to 1 hour of cardio ed. Trying to burn only fat...my cut has been slow though.last summer i was a 360 pound straight powerlifter. Currently right at 300 and I have kept strength. Dont get me wrong, i know i could cut cals and run my ass off and be ripped. However, doing so would cost me all this muscle that i worked very hard to put on. Long answer to the question...but yep it can be done.

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any guy that I talked to who competed as a bodybuilder.. we’re talking big dudes here like 240ish and one guy in particular who is an older school guy said you cannot do both at the same time unless you are some crazy genetically gifted black guy on a **** ton of gear. Otherwise you have to get really big and stop worrying about the mirror and then come down slowly once you held the weight for say 6 months to a year. Other wise you will be wasting your time trying to do both

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any guy that I talked to who competed as a bodybuilder.. we’re talking big dudes here like 240ish and one guy in particular who is an older school guy said you cannot do both at the same time unless you are some crazy genetically gifted black guy on a **** ton of gear. Otherwise you have to get really big and stop worrying about the mirror and then come down slowly once you held the weight for say 6 months to a year. Other wise you will be wasting your time trying to do both
Darn, only black guys can do it? That sucks.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Of course it can be done, because I myself and others have done it.

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Darn, only black guys can do it? That sucks.
It’s just not optimal to try and do both. Otherwise bodybuilders would stay ripped year round and we all know they are far from that. I’m just telling you what a guy told me who actually looked the part was massive and freaky looking.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At least several studies have shown it’s possible.

Glockguy706

Awards
  • Established
It can be done but will require tren or trest and test ..but dont take tren at that high a body fat precent . Cut hard first let the muscle go if you have to lose some get down around 15 percent body fat then tren will get you what you lost back.
Note: I am not a doctor this is really bad advice dont do drugs.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It can be done,Gear or Natty.
It can be done to a point... Like anything else the body has a threshold. The same can be said for running gear. Its easier to do with gear BUT everything has it's point where the body isnt capable of doing more. Genetic limit.

And people's genetics and body type (endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph) do play a role in how efficiently the body can do it.