Good supp's for helping with sleep?

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hello all,

I am 1 week into an M1T cycle and, ironically, not only has the m1t not given me lethargia at all, but it has actually given me quite a bit of nervous energy and I am having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Really bad night sweats as well. This is really out of the ordinary for me as I normally can fall asleep anytime, anywhere and sleep peacefully and deeply for 9-10 hrs. The best I can manage since starting the M1T is about 5 hours of restless sleep.

So basically, what are some good supp recommendations for helping with sleep? I believe B-12 and melatonin, correct? Anything else, and what doses of B-12 and melatonin should I use?

On a side note, I have gained ~8lbs and strength is up a bit... and the only sleeping 5hrs a night IS causing me to be more productive.... So far, M1T has treated me right.

surferdude26

Awards
Well being an insomniac myself here are my preferences:
OTC:
1)Melatonin
2)Doubleshot Nyquil
3)Tylenol PM

Best and Natural Way:
1)Sex, and lots of it.

Though you're on m1t, so I personally wouldn't do the nyquil because of the alchohol content.

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Try Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Extra tea. It contains valerian and chamomile.

gobig1

Awards
Magnesium by itself (no zinc, no calcium, no nothing), play with dosage to get correct for you, 1-2gms at bedtime, very relaxing and sleep inducing.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
I second Magnesium! Makes me sleep great while "on." I get mine in ZMA, but the cheaper route would certainly be magnesium by itself.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
melatonin will make you a lot sleepier than just magnesium. I've tried both along with many others.

If neither helps, look into getting some ambien or seroquil but i doubt that would be necessary.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin 1-3mg gets my vote. It also may help in blunting cortisol.

jxhopper

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin.......works the best....although this PHG I started taking is making me sleep very soundly.

DougMan

Awards
Melatonin works very well for sleep. PM for a source that offers 100 3 mg tabs for $1.50 (ON brand).

gobig1

Awards
Melatonin 1-3mg gets my vote. It also may help in blunting cortisol.
I've tried melatonin numerous times, played with dosage, I never got anything out of it. For some reason, hormonal manipulation of wake/sleep cycle doesn't do much for me, I'm a chronic insomniac. Magnesium works, although I'm sure there is better out there, it just seems to induce relaxation and take my mind off everything and I can fall asleep.

If melatonin works, go with it.

DougMan

Awards
I've tried melatonin numerous times, played with dosage, I never got anything out of it. For some reason, hormonal manipulation of wake/sleep cycle doesn't do much for me, I'm a chronic insomniac. Magnesium works, although I'm sure there is better out there, it just seems to induce relaxation and take my mind off everything and I can fall asleep.

If melatonin works, go with it.

Yea by saying it works really well for sleep I meant for myself. I recommended it to a few friends who also liked it. If you get it at the right places it doesnt set you back much.

Although I should mention I had some messed up dreams on melatonin. Really vivd. Could of been placebo for sure.

jxhopper

Awards
  • Established
increased dream activity is not just you, it happens to many who supplement with melatonin. I believe it comes with sleeping at a deeper state.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Melatonin plus 10 grams taurine works like a charm for me. Either by themselves don't do much for helping me sleep, but combine the two and I'm out within an hour generally.

Skark

Awards
  • Established
ZMA.......not the ready made expensive formulas....buy the stuff seperately from GNC for like $10 for 3 months' worth.

TopFuel

Awards
Melatonin or a big ole fashion joint always worked well for me. :D

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
tryptophan

trypt, stacked with melatonin, magnesium, and a glass of warm milk is sweet.

fwiw, trypt is legal to possess and easily obtainable at tack stores

Breezed_one

Awards
I use about 4mcgs of melatonin and sleep hard and dont feel drugged out the next day. I use it every night though, suffer from insomnia....

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
I use about 4mcgs of melatonin and sleep hard and dont feel drugged out the next day. I use it every night though, suffer from insomnia....
I suffer from insomnia too, but it's not an every night thing fortunately.

Ambien works well for me, but it's prescription only. Just make sure that you get 7.5 or more hours of sleep with it, otherwise you feel groggy for a hour or so after you wake up. But if you do get enough sleep with it, you wake up feeling refreshed and energetic.

I also tried Sonata at the advice of my doctor. The good thing about it is that it lasts a lot less longer in the body than Ambien, so if you get around 6 hours of sleep or more you wake up with no grogginess or anything.

I know these are both prescription drugs, but they are (supposed to be) non habit forming, so doctors usually don't mind writing a scrip for them. My insurance picked up both of them, so yours might too.

I'd never use them every night, but they are a good thing to have on hand for emergencies. I also use them to reset my sleep schedule; I bounce on Saturday nights, so I get home around 4:30 AM and usually sleep until 1 PM or so. Monday morning I have to be at work at 8:30 AM, so I like to get to bed around 11:30 on Sunday night. Problem is, that's less than 12 hours after I got up, so getting to sleep at that time is difficult. Pop an Ambien, and I'm good to go.

/karp

Breezed_one

Awards
I wonder what the long term effects of my melatonin habit might be. I have be taking them for about 5yrs. Always heard the script drugs made you sleepy the next day as well, so I always stayed away but might have to go see the doc and check out the Ambien.. Thanks

morfiend

Awards
  • Established
yep, benadryl. takes like an hour and a half for it to kick in for me though, so plan ahead!

EricForman

Awards
Bud Heavy (not Bud-lite)...works wonders in the "proper" dosage. Along with White Castle sliders, it acts as an excellent laxative as well!

DobermanXXL

Awards
melatonin... but it's not good to take every night.

calcium

magnesium

ZMA

percoset (when i had my knee injury)