Non_sterile syringe filters?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.41%

Non_sterile syringe filters?

I got some .45 titan filters from LeMelange, and they are non-sterile. They just came loose in a baggie.

Can I use these to filter fina solution or would that be dangerous?

Greenguy

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well I don't know about the filters you have. I can tell you that you can sterilize whatman filters yourself. ether flush the whatmans with MA or BA then wrape in foil and bake for 30min at 250f (anything more can melt the luger locks on the filter.) I have done this with whatmans ONLY. Please remember the adage on free advice.

Oh, yes you do need a sterile filter to make your fina with, eather bought or made
  3. Hang'n & Bang'n
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

I could be wrong but i don't see the need to bake the filter. As i see it, you just need to concern yourself with any particulates that may be in the filter. Just run some BA and oil through it to remove any particulates, then go ahead and filter your gear. Any bacteria in the filter should be taken cared of by the BA that you ran thru it and the heat shock that you put your finished product thru.

Just my thought, if i'm off base... someone chime in.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sikdogg
    I could be wrong but i don't see the need to bake the filter. As i see it, you just need to concern yourself with any particulates that may be in the filter. Just run some BA and oil through it to remove any particulates, then go ahead and filter your gear. Any bacteria in the filter should be taken cared of by the BA that you ran thru it and the heat shock that you put your finished product thru.

Just my thought, if i'm off base... someone chime in.
    Well I don't like baking gear for several reasons, one is you can change/damage some types of gear or cause potential carcinogens to form in the oil (Baking this is not a problem but a lot of people heat there stuff on a stove) or causing other chemical changes. (fina oxidizes a little and is not really harmful) But heat is not necessary if there is nothing to kill. The BA should be a preservative and a safety catch IMO. I don't think it wise to rely on it as a sterilizing agent.

The other reason is simply in the wording. Shouldn't, should, let the BA take care of, and go ahead. Nether of us used words like will or absolutely.

You are quite right about the particulates being the major culprit for infections. Bacteria may or may not cause an infection or abscess but a peace of something will cause one
  5. Hang'n & Bang'n
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.69%

If you don't bake your gear, then i concur that the filter should be sterilized. I always bake my gear...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best place to buy syringe filters?
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
  2. Where to buy Syringe Filters
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 11:42 PM
  3. syringe filter
    By crane in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2