Clen Shuts Down the Thyroid???

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I won't say who, but I heard this from a very knowledgeable bro that we all know. I've never heard it anywhere else though. I'm really curious because I'd like to use Clen when I come off of Triatricol, and as we know Triatricol shuts down TSH hardcore. So what's the deal?

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
I must be losing it.

I cant find the info i am looking for. I have read something about this though.
Ill keep looking.

Last edited:

mrfumetsu

Awards
yes. clen depletes the taurine levels in your liver which stops the conversion of t4 to t3 in the liver. you need to supplement taurine at 2.5-5g daily. the taurine will also help avoid the odd muscle cramps clen can give you too..

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I'm a few days shy of 2 weeks on 100 mcg a day of liquid clen and have not experienced any side effects such as cramps, etc. This is in spite of the fact that I have not supplemented with taurine. I was however, unaware of any substantial thyroid shutdown that one would not be able to recover from without taurine in a 2-3 week time frame. Should I expect any significant side effects concerning my thyroid if I have opted not to supplement with taurine? If so, can any potential side effects be reduced if I immediatly begin supplementing with 2-5 grams of taurine daily?

mrfumetsu

Awards
I'm a few days shy of 2 weeks on 100 mcg a day of liquid clen and have not experienced any side effects such as cramps, etc. This is in spite of the fact that I have not supplemented with taurine. I was however, unaware of any substantial thyroid shutdown that one would not be able to recover from without taurine in a 2-3 week time frame. Should I expect any significant side effects concerning my thyroid if I have opted not to supplement with taurine? If so, can any potential side effects be reduced if I immediatly begin supplementing with 2-5 grams of taurine daily?
no one will ever really be able to tell.. it's up to you, taurine is fairly cheap..$5 for 100 capsules of 500mg at 1fast400.com

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I had no idea it shut down thyroid. I won't be trying it if that is the case. I just don't see why it is so popular if this is the case?

drei

Awards
I had no idea it shut down thyroid. I won't be trying it if that is the case. I just don't see why it is so popular if this is the case?
It's so popular because it works plain and simple. As long as you supplement it's use with Taurine and Potassium most of us who use it will be fine.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It doesn't shut your thyroid down, it just reduces the amount of T4 converted to T3. It is one of the reasons why people combine T3/Clen. You shouldn't be using Clen post cycle anyway from Traic or T3. You should be using something that helps normalize thyroid output and T3 levels such L-Tyrosine, 7-Keto, etc...

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't shut your thyroid down, it just reduces the amount of T4 converted to T3. It is one of the reasons why people combine T3/Clen. You shouldn't be using Clen post cycle anyway from Traic or T3. You should be using something that helps normalize thyroid output and T3 levels such L-Tyrosine, 7-Keto, etc...
That's a relief. Based on your response Bobo, my understanding is that one SHOULD theoretically have no problems with just using clen (minus T3 or taurine) if it is cycled properly and not used duing PCT. Is this correct?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
use the taurine - it is cheap and you will thank yourself later.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
use the taurine - it is cheap and you will thank yourself later.
Thank you, I will. As a matter of fact I'm planning on picking some up today...but the question remains: Am I at risk of experiencing any side effects, besides cramps (which I have not experienced), since I have not used taurine with this particular 2 week cycle of clen?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, your fine. You don't have to use T3 with Clen.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the input fellas, especially Bobo. Looks like tomorrow I'll start adding in Clen WITH the Tri-Max :cool: :D , and then use my newly aquired NYCA and some FL7 post Triac cycle. How bout guggle post Triac cycle, any problems there?

size

Awards
  • Established
Thought some of you may want to read this. It is about using taurine when dieting and why you should NOT. It was written by Big Cat:

"It has come to my attention that some people have been adding taurine to their diets to decrease cramping from clenbuterol or other beta-adrenergic agonists. Whether or not there is any merit to this, I really don't know. I haven't seen any data one way or the other. I assume there must be some truth to the rumour or people wouldn't be doing it. Then again...

Regardless however, supplementing extra taurine during a diet is not advisable. It is indeed true that beta-adrenergic agonists like clenbuterol and ephedrine will reduce taurine levels, no question about it. But did anyone ever stop to think that maybe this has a reason? Your protein intake should stay the same, roughly, which means that these compounds are actively reducing taurine levels.

If anyone had bothered to look these things up for a few seconds they would have known it is with good reason. Taurine may inhibit fat loss in different ways. First of all it will increase insulin sensitivity. I didn't even need to state that, it has been used in supplements with varying success for that exact same reason. If we know that many effective fat loss aids work primarily by lowering insulin resistance (Growth hormone, noradrenaline, etc), we already know this is not a bright idea.

This lowers the threshold at which glycogen is stored again. This will increase chance of gaining fat during cheat days due to enhanced sensitivity of fat cells to insulin, and limit fat lost on dieting days since the extra stored glycogen will have to be burned again before you start burning fat again.

This is however the least of your concerns. Taurine is also known to reduce Thyroid levels. Studies have demonstrated that a high platelet level of taurine will reduce T3:T4 ratio in men. This would slow down your metabolic rate, meaning you use less calories than you would otherwise. Obviously this will result in less fat lost for the same amount of calories eaten.

Taurine may also reduce cAMP production in certain animals. The extrapolation in this case is a far fetch, but something I would like to see tested in humans. Since the cAMP acts as a second messenger in the process of lipolysis, the process of releasing fatty acids from their glycerol backbone, making them available for burning, this will reduce the amount of fat released and consequently the amount of fat burned.

This all fits nicely into the picture that free form amino acids should not be frequently used on a diet. As with carbohydrates, quickly absorbed sources create higher peak levels that also decline faster. This almost always leads to a favourable situation for a lower metabolism.

When dieting you will opt for carbohydrate sources that absorb slower, so they have less of an effect on factors influencing food intake. The same holds true for protein. You should opt for protein sources with a more anti-catabolic character, that release slower, such as casein. "

Haber CA, Lam TK, Yu Z, Gupta N, Goh T, Bogdanovic E, Giacca A, Fantus IG. N-acetylcysteine and taurine prevent hyperglycemia-induced insulin resistance in vivo: possible role of oxidative stress. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Oct; 285(4): E744-53. Epub 2003 Jun 10.

Baskin SI, Klekotka SJ, Kendrick ZV, Bartuska DG. Correlation of platelet taurine levels with thyroid function. J Endocrinol Invest. 1979 Jul-Sep; 2(3): 245-9.

Hayakawa Y, Downer RG, Bodnaryk RP. Taurine inhibits octopamine-stimulated cAMP production.. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1987 Jun 15; 929(1): 117-20.

Last edited:
supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Taurine should increse insulin sensitivity in muscle cells, which should decrease insulin sensitivity in adipose tissue. Right???

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Size...I'm very glad you posted this...I will re evaluate supplementing with extra taurine.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
well damn, Big Cat always has something interesting to say ;)

Considering that I'm cutting now and alternating ECY/Clen, this info comes as a shocker to me. Next switch I'll drop the taurine, although I will keep the potassium. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alpha Gainz 1
Cycle Logs 15
Weight Loss 5
Anabolics 29
Bkk92233 Weight Loss 11