O/T UPS "Exception" Status???

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I recently mailed a package that I was watching by the tracking number. It was from the US to Canada. It was moving quickly untill it got to Canada. The new status says "Exception. Contact UPS for details." What does this mean? Anyone ever have this happen?

Greenguy

Awards
  • Established
I recently mailed a package that I was watching by the tracking number. It was from the US to Canada. It was moving quickly untill it got to Canada. The new status says "Exception. Contact UPS for details." What does this mean? Anyone ever have this happen?
Interception?

Greenguy

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
it means that the package more than likely got seized.. I would make sure you have a clean house just to be on the safe side

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I called UPS and they said that the package made it through customs but the driver was unable to deliver it. They said they don't know why but to call back tomorrow. My house is def clean. I'll clean out the computer tonight.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
It sounds like a controlled delivery to me...

Chemo

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
I had it happen on a shipment to Sweden 6 weeks ago, through USPS; research chemicals were stuck in customs for 1 week before they released it for delivery (it was a 20# package full of med glass containers with liquid in them... I'm sure it set off all KINDS of alarms :D )

I also had it happen on a delivery of a package with some materials not so research oriented, through UPS, and had the "exception" clause on the tracking#, because they were not able to deliver it. I called up and had it re-routed to another addy, and everything was cool, no hitches. No experience with Canada, but the exception phrase is normal when delivery is attempted and there is no one there to receive it.

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
I have a UPS account and i get "exception unable to deliver" on occasion due to nobody home, wrong house number or zip code , driver error, lazy driver, etc.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Maybe it's different for me as I don't use UPS (Airborne/DHL) but it is strange to have that error while in transmit through customs...are you trying to tell me the UPS driver could not find a customs agent??

I can see if it were domestic and there was nobody home, etc. but not an outgoing package unless Canadian customs refused to receive it...in which case the American customs will want to know why and who shipped it. If the contents are nothing to worry about then let that be the end of it. However, if it will bring unwanted heat then start cleaning house.

Chemo

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
I just re-read your post....maybe I'm misunderstanding. Is it that the package made it through customs but then had the error at the receiver's door? In that case, it is probably nothing to worry about.

Chemo

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Maybe it's different for me as I don't use UPS (Airborne/DHL) but it is strange to have that error while in transmit through customs...are you trying to tell me the UPS driver could not find a customs agent??

I can see if it were domestic and there was nobody home, etc. but not an outgoing package unless Canadian customs refused to receive it...in which case the American customs will want to know why and who shipped it. If the contents are nothing to worry about then let that be the end of it. However, if it will bring unwanted heat then start cleaning house.

Chemo
Yeah. It made it through customs. But at the destination it got the Exception status. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it today. I went ahead and cleaned up the house a few days ago. All is well there. ;)

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
OK. Status was changed to delivered at 7:30 last night. That sounds great but does UPS deliver that late?

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
OK. Status was changed to delivered at 7:30 last night. That sounds great but does UPS deliver that late?
I had one delivered at 7PM; I get charged more for residential delivery, probably for this reason.

Kitchen Chemist

Awards
  • Established
Canada customs isn't really worried about AAS bro, i had a package of powder sit in customs for 10 days and it WAS TESTED. It was let through eventually after they realized there was no rec drugs found.

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
UPS is in a very blind position right now. They lack the technology and control USPS has over what they ship. The only way they will ever stop anything is if it's been broken open, leaking, smoking, or someone has tipped them off.

If they were aware of something illegal going through their system, no UPS employee would have anything to do with it. They will allow it to pass through that sort shift, be loaded, and then secure the entire load and have that entire load searched by the appropriate authority.

Drivers don't care what they deliver.

And yes, 7:30pm is not really that late. 10-12 hour days for UPS drivers is pretty common.

bigmark1972

Board Supporter
Awards
If you don't think customs can tell ups to type whatever they want them to into the status section you are mistaken.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I know. That is why I was concerned with the delivery time. I'm still playing it cool for a while.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
UPS is in a very blind position right now. They lack the technology and control USPS has over what they ship. The only way they will ever stop anything is if it's been broken open, leaking, smoking, or someone has tipped them off.

If they were aware of something illegal going through their system, no UPS employee would have anything to do with it. They will allow it to pass through that sort shift, be loaded, and then secure the entire load and have that entire load searched by the appropriate authority.
Not from my experiences. I was a narc for a few years and worked closely with UPS and Fed Ex. The cases I worked were primarily Methamphetamine/Cocaine/Heroin/Marijuana. I never worked any aas cases. UPS and Fed Ex would routinely open packages to inspect them, as they do not need a search warrant to do so. Persons names and addresses were red flagged frequently by law enforcement request, or their own security divisions. If questionable items were found in the packages, then law enforcement would be notified. Also, the companies would allow a drug sniffing K-9 to check packages, primarily for recreational drugs, prior to being loaded into aircraft. And yes, UPS and Fed Ex will put whatever law enforcement asks them to put for the packages status.

I had done a great deal of controlled deliveries, such as Chemo first suggested in this thread. Some of where people were busted, others where the delivery was used to gather intelligence to build future cases.

I have also worked cases with U.S. Customs. One Agent I worked closely with told me they had oversea's targets where aas's were being mailed to U.S. citizens. He told me these packages were usually searched, and if it appeard only for personal use they would let it go through. They would then red flag that persons name/address for future deliveries. He also told me they would allow 3-4 deliveries before making some sort of contact. Contact would range from having local law enforcement making the inquirey, or the Agent himself making the contact. The Agent I worked with made it sound like it was not too big of a deal. He was also one of only two agents that worked a very large portion of California. So he did not have time to deal with the small stuff.

My suggestion is, if you ship anything questionable, place the items in a container less likely to be searched. Such as, if you are shipping pills, place them in a vitamin bottle and seal it. Most of the time, they will not bother opening an item if it is sealed. Same goes for any liquids/powders.

I didn't write this to get your level of paranoia up Candle. :D Just play it cool for a while. At the most, your name/address may have been red flagged. You may want to try using another name and address when shipping next time. Just to be safe. I don't believe you have anything to worry about as far as a search warrant being conducted on your residence. If you are, the time element would be the following...the search warrant would have to be prepared and signed by a judge within 10 days of the alleged offense, then served within 10 days after the search warrant has been signed. So, after 20 days has past, you will need not worry about a search warrant being served on you.

Hope this helps. ;)

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I used a fake name and return address anyhow. It's cool.