How do anabolics in general affect connective tissue (esp. tendons)?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.38%

How do anabolics in general affect connective tissue (esp. tendons)?

First of all, I've done some searching around with poor or negative results (such as Anabolic Steroids: Tendon Ruptures ) but I'm looking mostly for anecdotal evidence of anabolics users.

What I'm wondering is whether anabolics have any POSITIVE effects on tendons, such as increased strength, faster healing, etc. The post I found, linked above, indicates that steroids would cause more ruptures in general, and a reduction in flexibility (stretchability?). Can anyone support or argue with this statement?

The reason I ask is because I've been suffering from patellar tendonitis for some months and plan to run an e-stane cycle regardless -- obviously I can't hit legs hard, especially squats, but I've been putting it off for a really long time and want to go ahead with it. My question is this: if I continue doing what I've been doing; dosing Cissus, doing physiotherapy and wearing orthotics, will e-stane have any effect on the healing of my tendonitis? If so, what?

Thanks to any and all opinions.

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

From what I've read, androgenic compounds can actually inhibit the rate of connective tissue repair. I understand that compounds like Deca and Boldenone can increase it however. If you're using OTC compounds, you may want to research those closer to deca and eq if you are concerned about tendon damage.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.13%

I think the whole tendon issue has to do with people lifting too much too early. Yeah a 50lb increase in bench is nice but since its not natural progression your body ur body didn't adjust over time and that's when injuries happen.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.05%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by taze13 View Post
    I think the whole tendon issue has to do with people lifting too much too early. Yeah a 50lb increase in bench is nice but since its not natural progression your body ur body didn't adjust over time and that's when injuries happen.
    I agree wtth this. Too much too soon will cause issues with tendons and muscles alike
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.38%

Mine stemmed from rugby.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.8%

i had good experiences with eq-plex/bold in terms of joints feeling good. supposedly boldenone (injectable) increases collagen synthesis. of course this compound is banned now, but it could be run with epi and would probably help with the joint pain.
    superdrol made me achy all over.
    other compounds i haven't noticed a difference from normal tbh.

i think taking lots of fish oil (4-6g daily) and vitamin d (10,000iu daily) and doing static and dynamic stretching of the glutes and hamstrings (to allow sitting back and staying on the heels in the squat) has done wonders for my knees and ankles. of course you are already doing therapy so you probably have that angle sorted out.

have you tried box squats? squatting to a low box takes a huge amount of pressure off the knee by letting you sit back farther than would be possible without the box. i definitely feel it still works my quads and definitely gets the hamstrings.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9%

There is some great rehab info for that here

It wont let a new member post a link so i took off the ht part

://eccentric-exercises.blogspot.com/

I noticed high rep low weight squats helps alot, with some focus on a nice slow lowering to stretch that out. 100lbs x 20 x 3 once a week with hard core stretching of the quads and calves fixed me right up. If its to bad to do low weight squats then the gentler approach in the link above could help. But definatly check it out so you can see what you are aiming for.
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by intheflesh
    First of all, I've done some searching around with poor or negative results (such as Anabolic Steroids: Tendon Ruptures ) but I'm looking mostly for anecdotal evidence of anabolics users.

What I'm wondering is whether anabolics have any POSITIVE effects on tendons, such as increased strength, faster healing, etc. The post I found, linked above, indicates that steroids would cause more ruptures in general, and a reduction in flexibility (stretchability?). Can anyone support or argue with this statement?

The reason I ask is because I've been suffering from patellar tendonitis for some months and plan to run an e-stane cycle regardless -- obviously I can't hit legs hard, especially squats, but I've been putting it off for a really long time and want to go ahead with it. My question is this: if I continue doing what I've been doing; dosing Cissus, doing physiotherapy and wearing orthotics, will e-stane have any effect on the healing of my tendonitis? If so, what?

Thanks to any and all opinions.
    It will not have a positive effect.

/thread.

Joint comfort is a different subject all together.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I feel I remember reading somewhere that it can, but in the absence of resistance training. Even if you take out the commonly given explanation -"your muscles grow faster than your tendons on anabolics and there isn't a proportionate adaptation by the tendons, so the force production by the muscles can't be supported by the tendons" (which is true, but not causally true) - there's research showing that there are collagen synthesis genes deactivated when training while on anabolics. However, as I alluded to, I believe this same research showed an upregulation in collagen synthesis genes when anabolics were used alone without resistance training. I should really look this up again. The study was posted on AM, so you could also try searching for it yourself.

Similar Forum Threads

1. strengthening connective tissue only.
    By gaijininjapan in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
  2. Healing Connective Tissue
    By SwolePierce in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
  3. Connective Tissue Healing
    By SwolePierce in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 03:55 PM
  4. Igf-1 and connective tissue repair.