Muscle Memory help --anabolics

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
If i run a cycle and train with GVT 10 sets method. The weight is low with high volume. If i am looking for more strength with some lean size, does training with light weight mean that i will not have muscle memory to lift heavy after my cycle/pct. After switching to a more classical training with less reps?

I know size is diet dependent but just curious about muscle memory.

Should I not be doing GVT?

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
never seen an anabolic study on muscle memory, but generally speaking "train to preform" meaning, if you want to run a fast sprints you practice sprints, if you want to run marathons you train marathons. This principal is fairly universal in observed human movement and I would venture (guess) that body building is not an exception, with exogenous anabolics only amplifying how one trains.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its a tossup. your lifting of lighter weights will add more new muscle, so when you switch to strength primary training it may take a little while but you should be able to hit significantly higher weights. Training for strength while on cycle may be even more disappointing when you come off, as you could easily lose a fair bit of strength just by dropping the anabolic

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
yea thats how it was when i ran tren. took some time to get stronger than i was when i was on. but thats how it goes i guess. but some say your muscle remember lifting the heavier weight so if i was to train all light would that make my max's suffer significantly

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line is that you are likely going to be stronger on cycle than off even if you do everything right, but you should be above your original "baseline" after your cycle. If you want strength, do a strength based program. GVT is more geared toward hypertrophy/body composition improvement than strength in my opinion.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, but the added mass can later go to an even higher strength as there is more muscle there to lift with. Thats just my belief. although you can train a 14 inch bicep for curl strength, if you can get it to 16 inches and then train for strength you'll end up higher than if you stayed at 14. The bigger the muscle gets, the higher its potential max lift is. Its sort of the corollary of the rule that to get bigger your lifts have to increase whether its heavier or more reps.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
yeah, but the added mass can later go to an even higher strength as there is more muscle there to lift with. Thats just my belief. although you can train a 14 inch bicep for curl strength, if you can get it to 16 inches and then train for strength you'll end up higher than if you stayed at 14. The bigger the muscle gets, the higher its potential max lift is. Its sort of the corollary of the rule that to get bigger your lifts have to increase whether its heavier or more reps.
I agree completely. I guess it depends on the situation and where the person is with their training. For example, if someone wanted to do GVT to increase their muscle CSA and then move on to a more strength oriented phase and put the "hypertrophy" on maintenance. I've just found that most people who say they want to get stronger aren't patient enough to go through a longer term plan and want to handle heavier weights as soon as possible.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
makes sense srs if you had to pick one which is your fav. 5/3/1 or westside

what have you had better success with

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
makes sense srs if you had to pick one which is your fav. 5/3/1 or westside

what have you had better success with
If you are an equipped powerlifter I would go with Westside.
If you are a raw lifter I would go with 5/3/1 provided you will be patient and give the program plenty of time to work.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
whats the difference b/w equipped vs raw? also powerlifters dont have the best bodies. they are mostly not cut and rounder. Will lifting this 5/3/1 or westside make me put up a lot of weight but at the sacrifice of my cut / muscular look?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
qwerty, what is your actual goal? to be a powerlifter? just to be stronger? to compete in bodybuilding? the exercise routine by itself won't make you put on fat, but you never gain strength as fat at caloric maintenance or under as you do at a caloric surplus. So you'd put on more muscle, but probably also some fat.

chess315

chess315

Awards
I belive it will make your max suffer I tend to think muscle fiber can chang and adapt to stress and if there more endurance orintated you would lose some strength how much just depends I have always wanted to run that to but I know it makes you weaker if you are a strong idvidual I personal think fst 7 would be better it is kinda you do a heavy excersize and then 7 sets of pumping

chess315

chess315

Awards
the reason powerlifters dont have good bodys is you usual see heavy weights you can powerlift and have a good body when done right and most power lifters carry as much muscle as bodybuilders just not as pretty if you want to be strong and big look at matt krocs traing or something along them lines or even branch warren or johney jackson

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
whats the difference b/w equipped vs raw? also powerlifters dont have the best bodies. they are mostly not cut and rounder. Will lifting this 5/3/1 or westside make me put up a lot of weight but at the sacrifice of my cut / muscular look?
If you don't know the difference between raw and equipped, you are lifting raw. Raw is what most people thinking of with lifting using only a belt and wraps at most. Equipped lifting utilizes squat suits, bench shirts, etc....
Everyone else is right in that your routine won't make you fat, but your diet will. If you look at most high-level powerlifters at 242 or less they are mostly pretty lean.
You should also start making your goals a little more concrete. Simply wanting a little more muscle mass and increased strength isn't specific enough. What numbers do you want to hit for your main lifts? At what bodyweight? Define these things more clearly or you will be constantly wandering looking for "more strength".

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
trying to put this as shortly as possible,
e.d.e.e. (estimated daily energy expenditure) which determines what will be maintenance calories for you will change as your training intensity/time changes.

not trying to start an argument, but depending on your body type, and metabolism, changing your style of training without properly changing your diet could lead to more weight gain.

this topic can go deep into heart rate, etc.

all rep ranges hit every area of training goals.

but certain one are better for different goals.

man, this is gettin too deep. i still got a week before school starts.
just train hard, and lift heavy.
keep your heart rate up.
watch what you eat.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
My diet is set. I have worked really hard setting it up and everything. I know how to change it based on training ect.. My goal is to gain 15lb and upp my 1rm bench from 265 to 315 for ex on 1 exercise. My goal is bodybuilding, not to compete but have a competitive looking body. Proportional and lean