Numb arms while sleeping

bengelha

Awards
Lots of threads on this, just wanted to hear the lastest news see if anyone found remedies.

I gained from 170 to about 183 and arms are much thicker but so is my neck. Not sure where problem lies but I can no longer sleep on my side without entire arms going numb. Stretching helped the carpal tunnel that was appearing from 2 IU of HGH per day but so far I cannot figure out this numb arm thing. It feels like the blood supply is cutoff but they dont exactly tingle when I awaken and shake them loose suggestive of more nerve than circulatory. Still trying to see if it is neck position or simply compression of the arm nerves.

Barely able to sleep on my back and end up just rolling over.

Robbo

Awards
If your whole hand (or arm) is numb I'd suggest that it is circulatory rather than nerve related as you would have to compress all three major arm nerves.

I've had both problems in the past, I put the "dead hand" thing down to restricted blood flow. I had a compressed nerve which resulted in tingling and partial numbness, it was worse on waking and then became permanent.

If you sleep with your arm under your head try sleeping arms straight. It might help you a lot.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
the same is happening to me. i have to make sure to keep my arms down but they still feel kinda weak when i wake up. once i get up and everything there fine though, neve use to happen to me but i guess older age is showing itself?

i know im only 22 but hey it has to start some time.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
same thing just started happening to me, it feels circulatory to me, like im cutting off the blood supply. i just attributed it to bigger arms, bigger veins.

but idk, i just move my arm in a diff position if i feel it starting to go numb.
it isn't a problem that worries me.

ckozlgod

Awards
Hmmm my arms ALWAYS go numb when I sleep on my side. It's purely circulatory issues caused by sleeping ON YOUR SIDE!!!

Now, if they are going numb sleeping normally...then yeah be concerned.

When you sleep a certain way, your arms are staying in that same position for hours...if you sleep on your side your likely putting body weight (pressure) on your nerves and veins (ergo: restricting bloodflow)

Kinda confused as to why people are surprised?

Ever wake up with bloodshot eyes? It's from sleeping on your sides too much.

the GUNSHOW

the GUNSHOW

Awards
  • Established
146lb I did not have a prob at 170lb I get this crap every time I sleep!

bengelha

Awards
Well that is some good feedback. When I was younger I hit 190 lbs one summer but never had this problem. I am near that weight now...not sure what the heck is going on. I can shake it off pretty quickly but feels bad for my body. Can even be painful which must not be nerves right :)

I used to sleep with hands curled under pillow, I try not to do that as it result in day time numbess and the whole carpal tunnel recovery for 6 months.

I am working at my computer for 16 hours per day some days so it could be related to that, all my keyboards are ergo but it is hard to not wind up hunched over. 90 mins of 105 degree hot yoga does not seem to have an impact that night but I need to try it again with that express purpose.

Trying to stay hydrated. The only time I felt this was when I was living as an alcholic and would get so dried out my arms would go numb because I assumed the blood volume had dropped considerably thus there required pressure to keep veins arteries properly inflated was not there.

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
The same is happening to me.
I have some assumptions/guesses.
I went from 167lbs to 183lbs, and I assumed it was a side effect of gaining muscle too quickly. Perhaps the circulatory or nerve systems have not progressed as quickly as the muscle? I was hoping the issue would eventually go away after the other systems catch up?

Grega

bengelha

Awards
Well I may have overlooked a solution. I did a lot of stretching, got deep tissue massage and did some hot yoga but no progress. After squatting today I hung from my I-beam in the basement, something I used to do everyday. First normal then I tried to cross my arms and OH-BOY the now more muscular shoulder complex and head was severely tightened up and I hung there several times crossing left over right and right over left. After I got tired upon eating I laid down and napped on my side. Nothing went numb. Will have to see if it works all night.

Robbo

Awards
Thoracic Outley Syndrome? Just an idea.

I thought I might have had this but the diagnosis was different. Apparently people with short, thick necks (who have jobs or hobbies that involve lifting things!) are more prone to it.

PS. If anyone wants to know about Cubital Tunnel/Ulnar nerve compression/release surgery, it's my favourite subject!

bengelha

Awards
OK, just wanted to share that I found the cure and my 30 days of hell are over. I did these hanging cross over stretches again before bed and I slept 7 hours straight in the deepest sleep of my life awakened THANKFUL. This is how it first felt when I began taking HGH but after I went on a bulking cycle with test/deca my shoulders got bigger and hot yoga nor any stretching I did resolved it. THIS resolved it.