HOMEBREW 4OHandrostendione

crazypete

Awards
i came across some reactions while looking for 4AD to test and 4OHandrostenedione from androstendione looks possible at home. its a little more complicated than 4AD to test, but still relatively easy. i'm not sure whether it is economical, but it cost 4-5 times what 4AD does so it may be worthwhile, may not, we'll see.

cheers, pete
PS i'm also looking for 6oxo reactions, i guess its just 3,6,17-androstenetrione

crazypete

Awards
it is an anti-estrogen (aromatase blocker) used during cycle to prevent bloat and fat gain. it has been discussed on this board. it is referred to as formestat or something like that. it is sold under the name Formasin by prototype nutrition and aromazap by syntrax. suggested use is 250mg per day orally. it is simply androsteneDIONE with an OH added at the 4 carbon without disrupting the double bond (just as 6oxo is androstenedione with a ketone group added at the 6 carbon).

cheers, pete

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I guess I'm used to seeing it described as 4hydroxytest

crazypete

Awards
okay here's the reaction:

STEP 1:
androstenedione+H2O2(hydrogen peroxide)+OsO4(osmium tetroxide)+t-Butanol=androstane-4,5-diol-3,17-dione

basically an OH is added to carbons 4&5 while the double bond is broken

STEP 2:
product from step 1 +KOH(potassium hydroxide)+H2O(water)+methonol=formasin or aromazap

the yield is supposed to be ~90%, there is 4.5g in a $24 bottle of the product, so if the chems cost less than $60 its worthwhile, the androstenedione will be $20

check out www.chemistrystore.com it has some of the chems for cheap, also has some of the transdermal chems for cheap. the chems that they do not have are cheap except for the osmium tetroxide which i don't know about yet.

other stores:
www.kyantec.com
www.voigtglobal.com they have OsO4

cheers, pete