prohormones and high repetition sets

sushibug

Awards
what do you guys think of exercises that will use high reps in conjunction with ph's like 1test/4ad? i was thinking 50 rep military presses, dozens upon dozens of situps, chinups, and pushups.

i assume it is ineffective but i will be leaving for the marine corps in november and instead of bodybuilding i figure i need more of an endurance kind of routine.

(fyi i was told i would be doing like 60 reps of military presses by my recruiter. i'm not that retarded. :p )

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Heavy training has always worked better for me, but I also cycle my training since in my experience it has provided pleasing results.

DobermanXXL

Awards
high reps will build denser muscle mass.. but high reps as in 15-20 reps

I like to pick a weight that I will fail at within 6-10 reps

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
high reps will build denser muscle mass.. but high reps as in 15-20 reps
That is ludicrous.

You will be able to build some muscular endurance with high reps, but I would stick to 12-15 for that purpose. I see no benefit to 50 rep sets. You'd have to use a weight so light, that it would work your delts no more than jumping jacks would.

If you're taking PHs, I suggest you switch off training both hi reps & low reps. That way you will still benefit from hypertrophy-specific training & build up your endurance.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
yeah bro, your recruiter didnt lie. you are going to be doin some crazy workouts that are going to do nothing but make you tough as nails but drop a shitload of weight. i really dont think there is anything you can do to get ready for the workouts exccept running your ass off.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
and get one of those weighted vests and run around in that to simulate carrying a pack

drei

Awards
Start Running!

Bruh I was in the Navy for 10yrs. I advise that you prep for bootcamp with lot's of running (in boots), situps, pushups, close grip pullups and 8 count bodybuilders. Most of your physical training will involve using your body weight for resistance in the beginning. Soon after you will be carrying a 30 - 50 pound pack on your back while marching and double timing with a rifle in hand. **** is rough but if you train now it will definitely make things easier. You are going to lose a ton of weight during bootcamp but the upside is that you will look and feel very hard.

Good luck in the Corp,

DREi

DobermanXXL

Awards
yes you can gain mass by doing 4-8 reps but the type of mass you gain from doing 4-8 reps will be different from gaining mass with 12-15reps.

Higher reps when bulking will build a denser muscle mass.. working the muscle with such high reps and heavy weight all the muscle fibers are getting work and utilized.. when I say high reps high weight i'm referring to a weight that your muscle fails at around 15 reps

Just like ronnie coleman.. high reps, heavy weight

works for me and many others.. but doesn't mean it will work for u

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
head down to one of the Surplus stores and pick up a ruck and use it... cheaper I would venture to guess that a weighted vest..

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
yes you can gain mass by doing 4-8 reps but the type of mass you gain from doing 4-8 reps will be different from gaining mass with 12-15reps
Oh I see, so the lean mass you gain is "different" per rep scheme now :rolleyes:

Muscles do 3 things: grow larger, stay the same, or atrophy. Obviously growth hormone will add new cells, however.

Muscles will become "denser" in time, but I've seen no significant research that shows a certain training style (regardless of how it stimulates growth or what fibers it targets) will result in a different mass gain (i.e density in this cae). Show us links to something here, or quit talking out of your ass.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I attempted to prepare for marine corps bootcamp but it did no good. I lost 30 lbs within 3 weeks and I was still gasping for breath. But after week 6, you'll be in such good shape that it really won't matter what you do beforehand. Just don't show up as a fatass and you'll be fine. I was the honor grad of my platoon and didn't do any preping. It's just in how hard you try once you're there. 13 weeks is a long time.............but the mental part is worse than the physical.

donk

Awards
I was in the Marine Core also. Best thing to do to prep for boot camp is run, run, and run. Try to work up to 4 miles 2 or 3 days a week. You will have to do dead hang chins with no kipping 20 if you want max points. Before you run do crunches, push ups, side straddle hops, etc etc for 20mins. After boot camp I start hitting the weights and you will going like a weed cause your body will respond so well from being so overtrained.

Oh some other helpful things the night before boot camp get some sleep like they tell you too. You will be up for a solid 48 hours. When they say go to the head you only have like 1min so don't try and take a crap. Pay attention to instructions and details!!!

comrade

Awards
Arnold said in some article he wrote for a M mag that powerlifting builds denser muscle.

Oh I see, so the lean mass you gain is "different" per rep scheme now :rolleyes:

Muscles do 3 things: grow larger, stay the same, or atrophy. Obviously growth hormone will add new cells, however.

Muscles will become "denser" in time, but I've seen no significant research that shows a certain training style (regardless of how it stimulates growth or what fibers it targets) will result in a different mass gain (i.e density in this cae). Show us links to something here, or quit talking out of your ass.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Arnold said in some article he wrote for a M mag that powerlifting builds denser muscle.
And since everything Arnold has said is backed up by some science and still holds true today, that's enough for me :rolleyes:

Get real. Show me something significant or don't say it as if it's true (this apllies to all). If you believe something, fine, but do not state it as if it's fact here without being able to back it up, or you can easily be called out on it.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
yes you can gain mass by doing 4-8 reps but the type of mass you gain from doing 4-8 reps will be different from gaining mass with 12-15reps.

Higher reps when bulking will build a denser muscle mass.. working the muscle with such high reps and heavy weight all the muscle fibers are getting work and utilized.. when I say high reps high weight i'm referring to a weight that your muscle fails at around 15 reps

Just like ronnie coleman.. high reps, heavy weight

works for me and many others.. but doesn't mean it will work for u
yeah, and doing crunches will make you skinny too

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And since everything Arnold has said is backed up by some science and still holds true today, that's enough for me :rolleyes:

Get real. Show me something significant or don't say it as if it's true (this apllies to all). If you believe something, fine, but do not state it as if it's fact here without being able to back it up, or you can easily be called out on it.
But Arnold was a 7x champ and governor!

Powerlifting builds more myofibrillar hypertrophy instead of sarcoplasmic as compared to a bodybuilding routine. So a powerlifter's muscles might look denser compared to someone doing a pure high rep routine (I didn't want to say bb because bb's today definitely put some effort into powerlifts in their off season). Its just 'common knowledge', not anything I can prove without some searching.

sushibug

Awards
it's not completely worthless to throw in a cycle of m1t before boot camp right? i might lose some or all of my (weight) gains in bootcamp but my strength will be there for me i assume? fyi i ship out in november so i have a long time to get fit.

comrade

Awards

I expect Arnold to spout plenty of bull being that he is practically from medievil times, but I do think his opinion deserves some credit, just for the sake of devil's adovocate at the least,
"ASK ARNOLD, 'HEAVY DOES IT', MUSCLE & FITNESS OCT 2003"
and no I didn't pay for the mag.

in it he differentiates between what he considers "weightlifting" and "bodybuilding".
"weightlifting" he refers to as being the goal of geting stronger
and "bodybuilding" as to develop, shape and sculpt various muscles.

"weightlifting" - heaviest wieghts possible, very low reps (three and under)
and "bodybuilding" - moderate to heavy wieght and higher reps (eight -15)
[plus bodybulding focuses on all the major muscle groups and specific areas within these groups]

he also says there is a certain kind of thickness and density that you can only get from very heavy training.

again this is Arnold's opinion not mine, and it is based on his experience, which he has a good amount of.

p.s. he scheduled regular heavy lifting sessions to maintain the mass he built from his powerlifting and strongman comps

donk

Awards
it's not completely worthless to throw in a cycle of m1t before boot camp right? i might lose some or all of my (weight) gains in bootcamp but my strength will be there for me i assume? fyi i ship out in november so i have a long time to get fit\
I would wait till after boot camp personally. The only thing you really need strength for is chins, climbing up ropes, and walls.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
definetely hit up the m1t after basic. you are gonna need it cuz you are gonna be skin and bones. there would be no point to taking m1t before basic to increase performance as you will lose all your gains and more within a short time of beginning. and then you would have many weeks left to go. so in my experienced marine opinion, taking a mass and strength builder like m1t is a waste of time if you want to increase performance for marine corps basic training. but like i said before you would probably see huge gains if you did it after.

DobermanXXL

Awards
what works for me may not work for you.. I'm not going to find studies because it doesn't really matter, I know what type of training works best for my body.

Everyone tries to follow Arnolds training methods.. some of them seem ludicrous to me. That's because what worked for him probably won't work for most.

MaddCapp

Awards
I'm also a former (never 'ex' :) Marine. Going with what Beelzebub said ... bootcamp is 80-90% mental. The physical really isn't all that bad. After you get over the initial shock in receiving barracks, as they're parading your goofy @$$ around in your sweatshirt and unbloused trousers - just eyeball some of the 3rd phase recruits and you'll be saying to yourself ... if THAT 98 pound fruitcake can make it through this, there's no way in hell I'm dropping out. Going to BC in shape is a definite positive, but you'll be amazed how even the diet privates make it through the physical part. As already mentioned, you'll be working excercises that use bodyweight, except for working out with your new girlfriend (read - rifle) and that b!tch can get heavy, as you'll soon be finding out :) As far as the m1t cycle ... save it. You're going to be needing more endurance than mass.