Reusing Syringe Filters?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.48%

Reusing Syringe Filters?

I've searched around on this board and others and have gotten conflicting info on whether you can reuse syringe filters or not. Some say the filter only takes out the particulate matter, others say it sterilizes the final product.

Normally I would just buy a new filter with every conversion, but there seems to be a shortage of whatman syringe filters right now.

Can I reuse an old one? Should I clean it with methanol and let it dry? Has anyone reused one? Seems to me that the BA in the mix is what sterilizes the gear.

Cheers

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.15%

I personally would buy a new one for each conversion. I use 0.2um.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Disco'ed
    I've searched around on this board and others and have gotten conflicting info on whether you can reuse syringe filters or not. Some say the filter only takes out the particulate matter, others say it sterilizes the final product.

Normally I would just buy a new filter with every conversion, but there seems to be a shortage of whatman syringe filters right now.

Can I reuse an old one? Should I clean it with methanol and let it dry? Has anyone reused one? Seems to me that the BA in the mix is what sterilizes the gear.

Cheers
    Yes. I do but at my own risk. DON"T DO THIS IF THE FILTER IS CLOGGED (hard to push gear through). I also have to say that at 4 bucks a pop I usually just buy new ones. I do the following process when I am exparementing with small batches of research materials

1. Flush filter with anahydrous MA until the solvent comes through clear then flush some more. NEVER APPLY PRESSURE TO THE FILTER FROM THE WRONG DIRECTION. this can cause small tears or even outright falure of the filter.

2. push air though the filter to remove any leftover MA. or as an alteritive (just my prefrance) flush with BA. (I am the only one that does this though)

3 Wrap filter loosely in foil and bake for 25-30min at 250 f or less (anymore and you risk melting the ends). Use imeadiatly.

Please note that this process works with witmans, have never tried it with anything else. I also recomend using a .2 micron filter for added sterility. Although this will never be as sterile as a package sterile product I have never had a problem or heard of a problem doing this (this was Superchickens methoed). Still anytime I make any research material in any volume I use a new filter.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

BTW Filtering is the PRIMARY way of making your gear sterile. All the BA in the world will not keep you from getting an absese if there are particulites in it. BA will keep spores from growing and kill or inhibit bacteria and some viruses. (Anything that might get through) That is why it is better to use a .2 filter like candle said.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.48%

Thanks for the info Skye.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.52%

Skye is right... a whatman will not prevent all pathogens from passing through into your vial. Don't get confused and think your gear is completely sterile. The heating and cooling process is bacteria killing which is normally the final sterilizing step.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best place to buy syringe filters?
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
  2. Where to buy Syringe Filters
    By CROWLER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 11:42 PM
  3. syringe filter
    By crane in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2