Body hair and Transdermals

mark

Awards
I've read several threads that include shaving off body hair in the areas were transdermals are applied.

What is the reasoning behind this? Is it to prevent loss of some of the PH lotion as it adheres to the hair? I can't see this being very significant, maybe a percent or two.

Can someone enlighten me? TIA

M

maraxus

Awards
I've read those threads too but don't think it is necessary. Unless you have a significant amount of body hair, very little is applied to the hair. The surface area is just so small compared the skin.

I think the way you apply it is much more important. For instance, spray it on your thigh and rub it in vigorously with your forearm or wrist. This skin on your arm is thin and will increase the application area. Or, instead of the thigh I read someone said the top of their foot was a good area (if you can reach it with your wrist). Another thin skin area. Also, you don't need to wash the stuff off your hands if you use your wrist.

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
I use chest and quads. I do keep my chest shaved though. I'm not very hairy anyhow.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
If your chest is like mine you wanna shave it, but you may not have to shave all body parts IMO.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
think about what shaving does to your skin, it opens up tiny cuts in your outer layer of skin. Now imagine how much better something will absorb through a cut. You can accomplish the same thing by scrubbing real hard with a hard bath sponge. Notice how the location stings more when you shave it. Thats a good thing.

mark

Awards
think about what shaving does to your skin, it opens up tiny cuts in your outer layer of skin. Now imagine how much better something will absorb through a cut. You can accomplish the same thing by scrubbing real hard with a hard bath sponge. Notice how the location stings more when you shave it. Thats a good thing.
So if I grit blast my skin i'll get Hyyoogggeeee!?! :p

M

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think its important to get rid of hair because the tiny vellus hair on the chest, outer arms, abs may be quite dense although you don't see it and might hinder more absorption than you might think. Inner forearms and inner thighs is quite hair free.

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Even if you only lose 1-2% at a generous minimum per application. If you add that up over the course of say a 4 week cycle, you are going to lose a significant amount of ph. Say you are applying 200mg a 1-test a day (just for easy calculations) At a 2% loss per day thats 4mg a day lost to hair. Add that 4mg up over the course of 30 days and youve lost 120mg. Almost a days worth without even factoring in how much isnt gettin through your skin to begin with. Plus, as a bodybuilder you dont really want to be too hairy to begin with.

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
mark 220 grit sandpaper, nothing better for a bodybuilder

mark

Awards
Even if you only lose 1-2% at a generous minimum per application. If you add that up over the course of say a 4 week cycle, you are going to lose a significant amount of ph. Say you are applying 200mg a 1-test a day (just for easy calculations) At a 2% loss per day thats 4mg a day lost to hair. Add that 4mg up over the course of 30 days and youve lost 120mg. Almost a days worth without even factoring in how much isnt gettin through your skin to begin with. Plus, as a bodybuilder you dont really want to be too hairy to begin with.
If you "add up" 1-2% over time you get...um let's see...carry the 4...move the decimal...factor in wind.....I squared R losses....

Answer ==> 1-2%

M

;)

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bro I did out all the "complicated" calculations for you. I dont know about you but i learned how to multiply in the third grade. Yes the answer total is 2% and you could have just multiplied that by the total amount of 1-test (6 grams given the previous conditions), which still gives you 120mg of lost 1-test, but I did it day by day to spell it out for you which you obviously needed more of. If you want to throw ph/ps out the window be my guest.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't tend to shave the areas I apply the transdermal, but do use a beard trimmer to keep the areas close cropped. I find if I shave bodyhair I suffer from way ingrown hairs which in turn leads to an increase in acne. I'll give up the 1 or 2 percent absorption or whatever the case may be in order to avoid the added complications. If we're going to split hairs over 120 mg of 1-test perhaps a new hobby is in order, what's 120 mg worth, like a dollar?

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I guess im just frugal. So sure you could throw in another 120mgs very cheap and get the same results but then you are still losing 120mg. I dunno, I guess becuase i shave anyway I view it as making sense to do it more often while on a dermal. If i had the reaction you did to shaving I would prob leave it alone though as well. I like to do everything i can to get the most out of a product.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't blame you one bit in wanting to get the most out of your transdermal, certainly nobody likes to be wasting money. For me I just find shaving to be a hassle, and as I like to rotate applications between upper and lower body so one area doesn't dry out excessively that'd be a ton of shaving to do.