Low Intensity Cardio on Cycle?

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about doing 20-30 low intensity cardio to stay lean while bulking (as this is what I do natural bulking). What do you guys think about cardio while doing GVT on a PH cycle?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about doing 20-30 low intensity cardio to stay lean while bulking (as this is what I do natural bulking). What do you guys think about cardio while doing GVT on a PH cycle?
You will burn more calories from fat at a high intensity.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Actually you burn more calories from fat at a low intensity but you burn more overall at a high intensity :). However, at high intensity you run the risk of burning muscle for fuel as high intensity uses glycogen/ATP as fuel and low intensity oxidizes fat for fuel (aerobic activity). They are both great methods though but I do not want to do low intensity as I do not want to risk burning muscle because I am trying to gain as much as possible! :D Thanks for the input man. What does everyone else think?

You will burn more calories from fat at a high intensity.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Actually you burn more calories from fat at a low intensity but you burn more overall at a high intensity :). However, at high intensity you run the risk of burning muscle for fuel as high intensity uses glycogen/ATP as fuel and low intensity oxidizes fat for fuel (aerobic activity). They are both great methods though but I do not want to do low intensity as I do not want to risk burning muscle because I am trying to gain as much as possible! :D Thanks for the input man. What does everyone else think?
All muscular contraction requires ATP, which is not dependent on type of contraction. It is often assumed that the intensity of exercise must be kept very low to burn fat as a fuel. It is true that at low exercise intensities a high PERCENTAGE of total energy expenditure during exercise is derived from fat. It follows that as the exercise intensity increases, the PERCENTAGE of fat used as fuel decreases. However, a key point to consider is that the total rate of fat oxidation during exercise is typically greatest at higher exercise intensities that are below the lactate threshold. For example, during exercise at 20% of VO2max, it is estimated that about 60% of the total energy expended would come from fat. By comparison, during exercise at 50% of VO2max, about 40% of the total energy expended would be obtained from fat. Nonetheless, the total rate of energy expenditure is 2.5 times greater at 50% VO2max compared to 20% V02max. The absolute amount of fat metabolized is 33% higher during exercise at 50% V02max.

As long as caloric intake is above maintenance, cortisol will not break down structural/contractile proteins within the muscle fiber unless biochemical adaptations dictate such event should occur (lack of muscular exercise).

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Low intensity is great on cycle, keep fat gain down, good for the heart, will help increase appetite , and is anabolic from the increased blood flow. Its always a great idea to do low intensity cardio if your ON or OFF cycle.

hard iron

hard iron

Awards
  • Established
ya, i wouldn't see any harm in it, just have your post meal ready to go asap afterwards, you should be starveing at that point, cortisol will have already started to release in your body once your done with the weights so imean i wouldn't waste anytime with whole thing, hit the weights,hit the cardio, then down that shake.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Interesting and true. However, I am talking about doing cardio AFTER my weight training session when I have nearly no muscle glycogen left. Therefore, doing HIIT could be detrimental to muscle growth as it is fueled anaerobically and not aerobically. Thanks for the info and I usually try to limit my HIIT for when I am cutting :).

All muscular contraction requires ATP, which is not dependent on type of contraction. It is often assumed that the intensity of exercise must be kept very low to burn fat as a fuel. It is true that at low exercise intensities a high PERCENTAGE of total energy expenditure during exercise is derived from fat. It follows that as the exercise intensity increases, the PERCENTAGE of fat used as fuel decreases. However, a key point to consider is that the total rate of fat oxidation during exercise is typically greatest at higher exercise intensities that are below the lactate threshold. For example, during exercise at 20% of VO2max, it is estimated that about 60% of the total energy expended would come from fat. By comparison, during exercise at 50% of VO2max, about 40% of the total energy expended would be obtained from fat. Nonetheless, the total rate of energy expenditure is 2.5 times greater at 50% VO2max compared to 20% V02max. The absolute amount of fat metabolized is 33% higher during exercise at 50% V02max.

As long as caloric intake is above maintenance, cortisol will not break down structural/contractile proteins within the muscle fiber unless biochemical adaptations dictate such event should occur (lack of muscular exercise).

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good deal man, yeah I've heard the hunger on cycle is INSANE and theoretically it should be and is. Thanks for the input and thanks everyone for your info it is very helpful. I will do 25-30min of LI cardio post weight training on workout days :). I am going to start a new thread on a during/post workout shake just so ya'll know. I usually don't have carbs while on a lean bulk naturally with my during/post workout shake due to the carb meal before the workout usually is enough to fuel the workout and gain quality lean mass. However, the demands of your body on cycle are much more intense there for carbs would be a necessity. Thanks again guys.

ya, i wouldn't see any harm in it, just have your post meal ready to go asap afterwards, you should be starveing at that point, cortisol will have already started to release in your body once your done with the weights so imean i wouldn't waste anytime with whole thing, hit the weights,hit the cardio, then down that shake.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Interesting and true. However, I am talking about doing cardio AFTER my weight training session when I have nearly no muscle glycogen left. Therefore, doing HIIT could be detrimental to muscle growth as it is fueled anaerobically and not aerobically. Thanks for the info and I usually try to limit my HIIT for when I am cutting :).
You will not come even close to full glycogen depletion from a 1-2hr weight lifting session with a moderate intake of carbohydrates.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is true but liver glycogen is what is used up first and once you hit a certain point it becomes a very thin line between using muscle for fuel or using lipids. Therefore I would rather just not take the chance :). That is all I am saying. You are correct sir in your observations and we just have slightly different views on how to do things :). No big deal. I do agree that in most cases high Intesity is better. Thank you for your input as I do really appreciate the info and the help. It was quality facts and I highly respect that. Thanks again.

You will not come even close to full glycogen depletion from a 1-2hr weight lifting session.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
That is true but liver glycogen is what is used up first and once you hit a certain point it becomes a very thin line between using muscle for fuel or using lipids. Therefore I would rather just not take the chance :). That is all I am saying. You are correct sir in your observations and we just have slightly different views on how to do things :). No big deal. I do agree that in most cases high Intesity is better. Thank you for your input as I do really appreciate the info and the help. It was quality facts and I highly respect that. Thanks again.
You have a very big misconception on energetic systems and exercise metabolism. Muscle glycogen is the first to be used for acute muscular contraction. Liver glycogen is broken down when plasma glucose levels decline and glucagon increases. Protein only contributes ~2-5% of total energy requirements during exercise up to a maximum of ~15% depending on diet. Your amino acid pools can easily supply this energy requirement. Breaking down structural/contractile/functional proteins within a muscle fiber is the absolute LAST metabolic process to occur, if needed.

I am a graduate student in exercise physiology and will be a doctoral student in the fall. Physiology such as this has been proven time and time again. You have your own free will to choose what to believe. Good luck in your decision.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey man I am not looking to argue and you are right, facts are facts. I completely approve of the facts. I am just going by personal experience as when it comes to the body everyone's physiology is different and that has to be taken into consideration. It is very admirable what you are doing and what you are trying to accomplish and I wish you the best of luck. Thank you again for all of your help. God Bless and It's gonna feel great to wear that white coat :).

You have a very big misconception on energetic systems and exercise metabolism. Muscle glycogen is the first to be used for acute muscular contraction. Liver glycogen is broken down when plasma glucose levels decline and glucagon increases. Protein only contributes ~2-5% of total energy requirements during exercise up to a maximum of ~15% depending on diet. Your amino acid pools can easily supply this energy requirement. Breaking down structural/contractile/functional proteins within a muscle fiber is the absolute LAST metabolic process to occur, if needed.

I am a graduate student in exercise physiology and will be a doctoral student in the fall. Physiology such as this has been proven time and time again. You have your own free will to choose what to believe. Good luck in your decision.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.